Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding

Reverse Engineering Games

Hi guys,

I am googling around and around and find some pretty usefull info on how to crack stuff like permissions and stuff in programms..

now i want to take it to the next step..

I would like to be able to crack games and stuff but the question is how would I begin and what if i want to crack like MW2 or anything or BlackOPS..

Im not asking for tuts or anything since i can google like a pro I just need some pointers in the right direction..

thanks in advance

greetings

Thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post
    I am currently on Lesson 2. Lol. I started a week ago.
    "The best way to predict your future is to create it."

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?
    Send me a PM, or send me a email at : aanthonyz10@gmail.com

Click My Dragon:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aanthonyz View Post
    Me too i started like yea about week ago

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    It is actually making sense to me too. Its not just something that I will remember for a bit then forget.

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?

Click My Dragon:

Thanks
    It is actually making sense to me too. Its not just something that I will remember for a bit then forget.
    Me too..
    I just cant get that damn ollydbg.ini file to work for me...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Just finished 37.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

whit (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post

Just finished 37.
    How long did it take you to get that far ?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post

How long did it take you to get that far ?
    About a year, but I quit at the 5th tutorial, because it quickly got over my head, then I came back to it about 3-5 months ago and have been consistently working on 2-3 per week. Once you get past ten its easy to keep going. Ofcourse where I'm at now, its really hard, but most of the stuff I know, now it seems like its a lot more about researching on your own to crack stuff. #36 was relatively easy, but this last one, #37, daum, a combination packer protector, with a false signature. It would take too much time to do on my own so I kinda skipped doing it on my own, due to technical problems, with the way older code performs in a different environment and just tried to pay close attention to the tutorial, I still learned some thing so that's good.

At the point I'm at now, I can dump, rebuild Imports, and find OEP of quite a lot of packers, but I need more experience in protectors, which is why this last tut threw me for a loop.

Also just as a note. Watch out for Shimming in some of the Dumping tutorials. If you come across shimeng.dll, that's not some packer detouring library, that's Windows Application Compatibility Framework kicking in. Took me a while to figure that out.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (03-09-2011),whit (03-08-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post

About a year, but I quit at the 5th tutorial, because it quickly got over my head, then I came back to it about 3-5 months ago and have been consistently working on 2-3 per week. Once you get past ten its easy to keep going. Ofcourse where I'm at now, its really hard, but most of the stuff I know, now it seems like its a lot more about researching on your own to crack stuff. #36 was relatively easy, but this last one, #37, daum, a combination packer protector, with a false signature. It would take too much time to do on my own so I kinda skipped doing it on my own, due to technical problems, with the way older code performs in a different environment and just tried to pay close attention to the tutorial, I still learned some thing so that's good.

At the point I'm at now, I can dump, rebuild Imports, and find OEP of quite a lot of packers, but I need more experience in protectors, which is why this last tut threw me for a loop.

Also just as a note. Watch out for Shimming in some of the Dumping tutorials. If you come across shimeng.dll, that's not some packer detouring library, that's Windows Application Compatibility Framework kicking in. Took me a while to figure that out.
    If you're having problems with Packers remember that the encrypted code always has to be decrypted/unpacked before it can be ran. Try the 'trace/trace over' function in olly, when olly is done check the trace log for combinations of instructions like:

inc
    xor/add/inc/xchge/sub/etc
    any conditional jump (jna, jne, ja, je, etc. etc)

The nice thing about olly's trace is that olly logs the address and the number of times the instruction is ran. Also if the decryption routine is improperly obfuscated, olly can show you the loops in the trace results.

Just a tip, I found that using olly's trace was very useful for finding decryption stubs. However I've never dealt with packers before, I assume they are encrypted and obfuscated. I learned decrypting from virus analysis.

@mesoldierboy

Just as the rest in this thread, I also recommend Lenas tutorials. I haven't finished them all. But they are good.

I'm SCHiM

Morals derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level.

Polymorphic engine
    Interprocess callback class
    SIN
    Infinite-precision arithmetic
    Hooking dynamic linkage
    (sloppy)Kernel mode Disassembler!!!

Semi debugger

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Not packers, protectors.
    I haven't used trace much, though I hear that's very popular now. It eats up a lot of memory too, not that it particularly matters, in modern computers, but I usually find decryption stubs simply by HWBP the OEP, and find the OEP by setting a HWBP on esp, then tracking when its accesed, or either counting exceptions triggered by the packer and setting a BP on the main module. There's a lot of other ways too, the packer specific ones I forget, but the more general concepts I remember, but in any case I wasn't talking about packers, as I said I have no problem with those. Not even with inlining packers with self-extracting, self-modifying, polymorphic code. As I said, my trouble is protectors, whoms primary purpose is not to encrypt code, but protect it from debugging and dumping.

There is a difference between the two, that's my point. This is why I say these tuts will teach unpacking very well, but not unprotecting code nearly as much. my advice is whenever you come across protector code take a good bit of extra time to understand it. Especially breakpoint detection, Lena will say higher up in tutorials to remove breakpoints to prevent detection. I say keep them there for a bit and find out what exactly is detecting them.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    thanks for the info guys! I will do it

PS when i download files NOD32 Pops up says its a virus..LOL?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    INFORMATION OVERLOAD

-picks up gun and commits suicide with a taco-

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?

Click My Dragon:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    INFORMATION OVERLOAD

-picks up gun and commits suicide with a taco-
    Oh no! not the taco! D:
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!