Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Dave G-upta if that is your real name...we know who you are.
    Thanks

Necessary Evil? (Religion Explained)

Please Read all Before you comment, or at least skim through Diligently Thank you

So been on a hell of a journey, last couple of years...there really should be more college prep.... ANYWAYS

Been doing some thinking and came to a conclusion bout Christianity, Islam, and all the other "Beliefs" out there.

In "most" of these beliefs( i say most because i do not know all of them) there are rules and a general guideline to leading a good life. While the definition of good might differ slightly depending which religion you choose, i do not believe any of them makes it okay to do harm to someone who has done no harm to you, or to cheat or kill unnecessarily.

Now to the heart of this discussion. There are those entitled to their opinion that believe Religion should not be here because of all the grief and heartache it has seemed to cause. The killings in the name of an unforseen God, The injustices in said religions that seem to make one man more important than another.

GUESS WHAT?

That is wayyyyyyy better than the alternative.

What is the alternative? you ask, well i will tell you. Imagine a world with nothing morally binding you to do good to your fellow neighbor. We live in a world right now where children are brought up with ethics and morals regardless of religion but that nevertheless is because of religion.

How many generations in this imagined world before your great great grandchildren decide the teachings from this generation make no sense because they don't know what happens to them after death but they don't care anyways.
    Religion tries to explain that in a way that brings some order to a world that would otherwise be wholly chaotic.

You might be inclined to say i would never kill someone, or betray my family or hurt a dear friend. The reason that is, is because from a young age you are programmed with a sense of right and wrong, A sense of Good and evil. From the movies you watch where good and evil is as stark as night and day. To your parents getting mad when you steal, lie or what have you. What do you think the basis for those things are on? that is right you guessed it Religion.

Remember Human nature is not necessarily good. Religion goes against human nature and forces us to be different than what we would naturally do. We all know the religion extremists; for the past number of years our focus have been on the Muslim kind.(Dont forget the crusades((christian extremists))) Imagine those same extremists from any religion not having a religion to bond too. Those same desires and emotions will still be there who is to say it won't bring about a greater evil? whose to say it will, but i will choose the evil i know.

If not for Religion, why be good when there is no hell. why treat each other fairly when the worst that could happen to you would just be death. Why follow the rules except that maybe one day you will be rewarded for it in heaven.

The answer to why Religion is even around is the answer to the question that every man and woman at one point asks themselves, "What is the purpose of my existence?"

Ask yourself this Which came first God or the Need for God?

If you believe in evolution which science points too, then at one point we were no smarter than the animals that we share this earth with, but something made our consciousness evolve and at that point we were able to question our surroundings and along the way the idea of God came about.

Now if you believe in creationism. Here is something to blow your mind. The bible says that the earth and everything in it was made in 7 days. The characteristics for a day were explained no getting around that(sunrise to sunset) but what it does not say is that the earth was created in 7 CONSECUTIVE days. What does this mean? It means that God could have created the waters and not done anything for a million or so years then created dinosaurs and other extinct animals then another million or so years then man and so forth..hope you get the idea...this theory of mine could be another factor in how science might predate the Bible but does not disprove it.

In the end I do not believe that we want to live in a world without religion.
    I believe that we have all experienced some of the negative effects of religion.(such as parents forcing you to go to a church you dont want to, or having to be randomly selected in an airport because you "fit a description")
    We want a world without those negative effects of religion.

=The first step?
    Enough with these threads proving or disproving God. Greater men than you have tried and swayed few peoples general inclination.

Second? Religious tolerance. If you dont believe it then dont. Don't try to bring others to your cause. or maybe it is your religion to bring others, dont judge those who dont want to hear it and live and let live...

Thanks for reading Hope this enlightened some, while not offending any
    Last edited by blovtom1; 03-16-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Highlighted Main points as best i could
    God is watching

https://www.mpgh.net/forum/89-religio...explained.html --answers some questions

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun333 View Post
    WTF I COMPILE AND IT NO WORKS!!! DO I NEED PSEUDOCODE COMPILER?
    rofl!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    TLR

no religion = chaos

everyone knows that would happend to people back 100-400 years ago, but now ppl are smarter than that

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadskulz For This Useful Post:

pjrat111 (03-17-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Read it all,
    No news to me.

Religions/beliefs pretty much tie into each other in one form or another.
    What they all have in common is that there is;
    absolutely no proof that a divine/supernatural being exists or has ever existed.
    All we have are stories, tales passed down from generation to generation.
    Back in the days of old, many didn't have a choice to believe what they wanted,
    or else they would face scrutiny, punishment, torture, and in some cases even death.
    Our generation is free, we have a choice and even though some places do still practice religious intolerance, I think we will see many people break the mental binds religion has placed on humanity for so many thousands of years.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-16-2011 at 08:09 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Killian (03-16-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    No Religion = No Beliefs = Depress = Sadness= Suicide
    inFAMOUS
    It is the best game
    [IMG]https://i387.photobucke*****m/albums/oo311/Kasi7-85/1e1dd86cdad9c9ffb88612adf7cb1051_lm.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinima Trailer Vault View Post

I'm struggling to resist the urge to go punt a baby.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Read it all,
    No news to me.

Religions/beliefs pretty much tie into each other in one form or another.
    What they all have in common is that there is;
    absolutely no proof that a divine/supernatural being exists or has ever existed.
    All we have are stories, tales passed down from generation to generation.
    Back in the days of old, many didn't have a choice to believe what they wanted,
    or else they would face scrutiny, punishment, torture, and in some cases even death.
    Our generation is free, we have a choice and even though some places do still practice religious intolerance, I think we will see many people break the mental binds religion has placed on humanity for so many thousands of years.
    right but dont you see, with that logic i imagine a loop where people get further and further from religion(might take many years) and believe they know enough of how to treat others, completely relying on their own intellect, neglecting the containment religion has placed on human nature.

then you have people whose only basis for right and wrong is what the law and their mind says. The law begins to get questioned because there is actually no reason for the law save to have order, but fuck order i see a tv in this dude house that would look real nice on my wall, if i dont get caught...hey i just increased my quality of life right? Then eventually shit keeps compounding and getting worse till religion is back as a deterrent and maybe this time in a worse way. I mean cause if all one can do is kill you but religion can torture you for eternity? thats the way to scare str8 some snot nosed kids into preachers and popes lol [<-God forgive me for that ] (the whole timeline for this is like millions of years)

Anyways ima highlight main pts of original post but this shit was like an epiphany in the shower lol
    Last edited by blovtom1; 03-16-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    God is watching

rofl!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    What if scenarios are pointless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    What if scenarios are pointless.
    i loled
    lol such a debbie downer, im just bouncing around ideas, pointless? why not.. you pointing that out? even more pointless

in other words you contradicted yourself by giving credibility to a "pointless" article by taking the time to post on said thread
    Last edited by blovtom1; 03-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    God is watching

rofl!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to blovtom1 For This Useful Post:

bodke (03-16-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinima Trailer Vault View Post
    this is far from true.
    If your a dumbass with no friends then its true.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by blovtom1 View Post
    right but dont you see, with that logic i imagine a loop where people get further and further from religion(might take many years) and believe they know enough of how to treat others, completely relying on their own intellect, neglecting the containment religion has placed on human nature.

then you have people whose only basis for right and wrong is what the law and their mind says. The law begins to get questioned because there is actually no reason for the law save to have order, but fuck order i see a tv in this dude house that would look real nice on my wall, if i dont get caught...hey i just increased my quality of life right? Then eventually shit keeps compounding and getting worse till religion is back as a deterrent and maybe this time in a worse way. I mean cause if all one can do is kill you but religion can torture you for eternity? thats the way to scare str8 some snot nosed kids into preachers and popes lol [<-God forgive me for that ] (the whole timeline for this is like millions of years)

Anyways ima highlight main pts of original post but this shit was like an epiphany in the shower lol
    I see perfectly fine.
    Whether religion is here or not, human nature won't ever vanish.
    The idea of God has spread across earth.
    Instilled in everyones mind is "Divine morality"
    That's great, people can learn about it all they like.
    It's a wonderful thing to learn about, it may help some, and others it may not.
    But what happens when more and more people hit a wall?
    Then realize that this "Divine morality" is nothing but recycled good sides of human nature? People will realize that all that is good in every one of these beliefs/religions is actually what man wanted for humanity, and not a God.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-17-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Thanks
    From what i understand, you believe religion has already made an imprint in humanity and we see the necessity of goodwill in human nature, meaning we can do without a God. No offense but isnt that a tad bit naive? Without Religion we have no answer for why evolution of the mind happened to humans and not some other random animal. No reason for life, except to live and die. With the hardships life brings i can tell you right now, most people would rather just end their life, than go through the pain without so much as a reason for it other than to reproduce.

How many mothers have watched their children die, to be comforted only with the sole reason that God must have wanted him at that time...Or for those who are born into extreme poverty looking at those in wealth, comforted by the fact that at least in death in heaven they will be rich. Without religion these things will still be there, but where will humans turn too? I mean i cant even begin to describe the vast amount of shit that goes on everyday that people so easily pass off as God's doing, or God let happen. The simple fact is "a kingdom without hope, is one on the brink of destruction" (Bola Lewis) I don't believe humanity will ever wholly be able to accept that God is just an idea created by man and therefore does not exist.

It is very idealistic to think we can just go through life's bullshit, for no greater purpose. Religion is here to stay and my main point was for just tolerance to other people's beliefs.

Mb for always typing so much can never get what i want to say in small sentences, trying but by the time i'm done always see these fking paragraphs...
    Last edited by blovtom1; 03-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    God is watching

rofl!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    If you genuinely think the only thing preventing mankind from dipping into chaos and lawlessness is religion then I have some unfortunate news, that's not how morals work. You don't get morals from on-high many of our moral traits are innate and by-products of our evolutionary past. One need only look at Norway to see a peaceful, happym non-theistic society (and it doesn't hurt that it has one of the worlds lowest crime ratings).
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    From what i understand, you believe religion has already made an imprint in humanity and we see the necessity of goodwill in human nature, meaning we can do without a God. No offense but isnt that a tad bit naive? Without Religion we have no answer for why evolution of the mind happened to humans and not some other random animal. No reason for life, except to live and die. With the hardships life brings i can tell you right now, most people would rather just end their life, than go through the pain without so much as a reason for it other than to reproduce.

How many mothers have watched their children die, to be comforted only with the sole reason that God must have wanted him at that time...Or for those who are born into extreme poverty looking at those in wealth, comforted by the fact that at least in death in heaven they will be rich. Without religion these things will still be there, but where will humans turn too? I mean i cant even begin to describe the vast amount of shit that goes on everyday that people so easily pass off as God's doing, or God let happen. The simple fact is "a kingdom without hope, is one on the brink of destruction" (Bola Lewis) I don't believe humanity will ever wholly be able to accept that God is just an idea created by man and therefore does not exist.

It is very idealistic to think we can just go through life's bullshit, for no greater purpose. Religion is here to stay and my main point was for just tolerance to other people's beliefs.

Mb for always typing so much can never get what i want to say in small sentences, trying but by the time i'm done always see these fking paragraphs...
    Cool story bro.

When another thousand years passes and the not so obvious prophecies of certain books never take place,
    we'll see how long these religions hold up.
    Humanity has already seen the downfall of many belief systems,
    and as we all know history has a tendancy of repeating itself.

Thanks
    @Paroxysm
    How far on the evolutionary path you willing to go? i mean even before christianity, people worshipped suns stars and other shyt. It seems that one of the thing that separated us from animals is the need for a greater purpose or some higher power who was the reason for what was happening in our lives. Thats why i asked which came first God? or the need for God. As far as Norway goes i cant offer a differing opinion on what i haven't studied.

@Ethereal
    ite thousands of years from now, whose to say if those prophecies will take place or not, i mean some of the shit already did but that is besides the point. what bout right now, your lifetime, the next 70 years or so. Religion is here to stay for at least that long all im saying is in this lifetime it is here to stay. And those many belief systems where easily disproven but the ones who have held up for the oh so past thousands of years like say christianity, not so easy to disprove. I mean who knows what technology holds and can possibly shed light on. Its up in the air but i doubt technology can really disprove God before we can fully understand how the brain works, annnd thats not for awhile
    God is watching

rofl!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    @Paroxysm
    How far on the evolutionary path you willing to go? i mean even before christianity, people worshipped suns stars and other shyt. It seems that one of the thing that separated us from animals is the need for a greater purpose or some higher power who was the reason for what was happening in our lives. Thats why i asked which came first God? or the need for God. As far as Norway goes i cant offer a differing opinion on what i haven't studied.

@Ethereal
    ite thousands of years from now, whose to say if those prophecies will take place or not, i mean some of the shit already did but that is besides the point. what bout right now, your lifetime, the next 70 years or so. Religion is here to stay for at least that long all im saying is in this lifetime it is here to stay. And those many belief systems where easily disproven but the ones who have held up for the oh so past thousands of years like say christianity, not so easy to disprove. I mean who knows what technology holds and can possibly shed light on. Its up in the air but i doubt technology can really disprove God before we can fully understand how the brain works, annnd thats not for awhile
    Name me these prophecies. What.. Earthquakes and other natural disasters? Educated guess is educated.
    Tell me how these other belief systems/religions were disproven?
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Why? Well here is why.
    How can you disprove something that has yet to be proven?
    You can't. If you have no proof of something you can't disprove it,
    because it is something that does not exist in the natural realm.
    So wherever you were going with that pretty much just got shot down.
    This goes with any Religion/belief where humans worship a Deity,
    or many Deities.

Long story short:
    Religion= No proof hence can't disprove it.

Lord of the Rings special nonfiction edition. derrrrrrp
    Last edited by Ethereal; 03-17-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast