Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Teaching Myself To Code

So I want to be able to code, for a variety of reasons. Windows mostly, stuff to do with games, is C++ the language I want to go with? Also does anyone know of any good free teaching resources for a serious student?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    C++.
    Learn it from "Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++" or this site:
    www.learncpp.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hassan For This Useful Post:

Dolebat (03-27-2011),Hell_Demon (03-27-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    If you buy a book, You ill be able to learn easier..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyoto Machida For This Useful Post:

Dolebat (03-27-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thanks for the help, I have C++ For the Absolute Beginner -- I'll look for the other book as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dolebat For This Useful Post:

Lyoto Machida (03-27-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Do it
    When you learn it, Teach me

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by -Away View Post
    If you buy a book, You ill be able to learn easier..
    This is true. I had a C++ book and I learned the absolute basics pretty quickly. Try as I might this e-reader just doesn't work for me with large text books. It's hard to see the images, and the writing too small. Works with fiction and novels, but pfftt... damit I'm gonna actly have to buy a real book off Amazon to get through C#. >;l

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

10. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Lyoto Machida (03-27-2011)

Thanks
    I would give a internet site that your can learn the basics on but the truth is you cant take the internet everywhere So i recommend you buy a book
    Good book but it looks like a robot wrote it
    Amazon.com: C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) (0752063326978): Stephen Prata: Books

But if you want to learn VIA website
    Learn C++ & cplusplus.com - The C++ Resources Network are good & have a good Community Forum
    Last edited by whit; 03-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    So if I am serious about doing this (Say 4 hours a day), and not -too- stupid to learn, how long would it take before I was able to do some genuine programming of any meaningful sort? (Just a ballpark, I know there are a lot of factors here.)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolebat View Post
    So if I am serious about doing this (Say 4 hours a day), and not -too- stupid to learn, how long would it take before I was able to do some genuine programming of any meaningful sort? (Just a ballpark, I know there are a lot of factors here.)
    Depends what you mean by that. You will have learned the basics which then means you can go learn everything else.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @Dolebat

As soon as you're ready.

What does Msgbox("hi") do?

What does imports system.io do?

What does
    Try
    Msgbox("hello")
    Catch ex as exception
    Msgbox(ex)
    End try
    do?

Those are just a few.. Of the extremely simple ones..

Edit: fail. Well, the above is learning vb (which I recommend you start with, because it's relatively simple to understand and you can still code complex programs with it).
    Last edited by ³²³; 04-02-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by ³²³ View Post
    @Dolebat

As soon as you're ready.

What does Msgbox("hi") do?

What does imports system.io do?

What does
    Try
    Msgbox("hello")
    Catch ex as exception
    Msgbox(ex)
    End try
    do?

Those are just a few.. Of the extremely simple ones..

Edit: fail. Well, the above is learning vb (which I recommend you start with, because it's relatively simple to understand and you can still code complex programs with it).
    What a useless post. + MessageBox(ex)... how do you plan on converting an Exception object to string lol ex.ToString or ex.Message please.

He wants to learn C++, not VB and saying to learn VB as a transitional language to C++ is damned stupid. I learned VB before any of the other "classic-style" languages and VB did not help me worth a shit (apart from knowing the basic coding conventions etc), learn C++ straight up, or even Java/C#/PHP, anything with the 'classic-style' syntax (and by classing style i mean semicolons, no decent intellisense, curly brackets...all that shit). I never understand why people say learn VB then learn C++, the two aren't really related apart from the general fact that they are both programming languages. Learning enough VB to actually have a benefit when you learn C++ would take you way longer than if you just went C++ at first.
    Last edited by Jason; 04-02-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

NextGen1 (04-02-2011),whit (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Sams teach urself c++ in 24 hours took me 2-3 weeks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by SubCub View Post
    Sams teach urself c++ in 24 hours took me 2-3 weeks
    I was going to ask, if that is a book or what. Anyway, I got stuck in the hospital for a few days, so I am not as far along as I would like to be. Can anyone suggest some online study courses (free) that are a little more up to date than LearnCPP.com?

(They're the guys who said "Important note to Visual Studio users: Visual studio programs should ALWAYS begin with the following line: #include "stdafx.h") And are apparently based on Microsoft’s Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. (I have Visual Studio 2010).

Thanks in advance!