Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Freelancing as a 14 year old

Just turned 14. Basically I have no resume except for a 4.0 GPA every semester & some volunteer service (I think.. 150+ hours total)
    So over the summer I'm going to get a few jobs.
    They are: selling parts to things at my dad's work, (robotics comp), and working as a counselor at some kids camp for 8$ an hour (30hrs total).

Have 130$ in my paypal already...

Should I freelance in VB? not huge projects just 15$ here and there..

About one week ago I sucked at programming lol. Somehow this week I have brought it together( mostly on sick days and staying up till 3 (probably why I'm sick lol.))

Solved my friend's problem of painting custom controls on tabcontrols and handling onclick and etc..
    that's just one of the things.

SO TELL ME, MPGH: SHOULD I FREELANCE YET? OR STUDY MORE.

Thanks
    Theres no way you went from Suck to Awesome in one week...Keep Studying
    I find some of the 30$ Projects on there overwhelming

but How bout you send me 30$ so i can set up my Freelancer account

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whit For This Useful Post:

NextGen1 (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Both. I see no harm in either, if ur awesome (don't tell them ur age) u may pick something up, if not you'll realize how much you suck, and go hit MSDN hard, and those books. I looked at Freelancer.com today, and my experience was very much the latter, and I've been studying for 2 years, 4 if you count my time with Java in highschool. One thing which always seems to be completely consistent is that there is always, bigger fish in a bigger pond. And I suppose even outside of the freelancer stuff there's the real dev companies, so be prepared to get your feet wet.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

5. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

NextGen1 (04-02-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Go for it. Do what you can do, don't do what you can't. (duh)

Also, don't mention your age, and act mature - this is the beauty of the internet.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Both. I see no harm in either, if ur awesome (don't tell them ur age) u may pick something up, if not you'll realize how much you suck, and go hit MSDN hard, and those books. I looked at Freelancer.com today, and my experience was very much the latter, and I've been studying for 2 years, 4 if you count my time with Java in highschool. One thing which always seems to be completely consistent is that there is always, bigger fish in a bigger pond. And I suppose even outside of the freelancer stuff there's the real dev companies, so be prepared to get your feet wet.
    It's just a case of picking the right job. You generally have to pass up quite a few jobs that are pretty complex and the author is a stingy fuck only willing to pay out $30 for it, but in my experience on FL there's always a couple of doable jobs (not that i looked in the C++ section). VB jobs on a site like freelancer are sooo hotly contested though, you'll rarely get picked.

Learn PHP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

It's just a case of picking the right job. You generally have to pass up quite a few jobs that are pretty complex and the author is a stingy fuck only willing to pay out $30 for it, but in my experience on FL there's always a couple of doable jobs (not that i looked in the C++ section). VB jobs on a site like freelancer are sooo hotly contested though, you'll rarely get picked.

Learn PHP
    Jobs on freelancer.com are awesome :3

There are a lot of jobs that require a brain (rather than just coding experience), which aren't that hard to win (:

But freelancer.com is probably one of the worst places to freelance. The employers are generally very stingy, and choose the lowest bid, only to have the employee not finish it.
    Last edited by freedompeace; 04-02-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post

There are a lot of jobs that require a brain (rather than just coding experience), which aren't that hard to win (:

But freelancer.com is probably one of the worst places to freelance. The employers are generally very stingy, and choose the lowest bid, only to have the employee not finish it.
    Is there any other Freelance Sites ?
    Preferable Free Signup

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post
    Is there any other Freelance Sites ?
    Preferable Free Signup
    I use elance (elance.com) and oDesk (odesk.com). They are much better than freelancer.com :)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freedompeace For This Useful Post:

whit (04-03-2011),why06 (04-03-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Freelancer.com can frankly suck my right nut. Worst site in the fucking world. They take 10% or $5 (whichever gives them more money) from each job. Then, to withdraw funds you have to have $30+ (so if you do a $30 job, you'll end up with $25 after they bitch you, and you can't withdraw it til you do another) and then the first time you withdraw funds, you have to wait for a 15 WORKING day delay before they even process it. Then they also charge you to withdraw as well. So bloody annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy S. Anderson
    There are only two things to come out of Berkley, Unix and LSD,
    and I don’t think this is a coincidence
    You can win the rat race,
    But you're still nothing but a fucking RAT.

++Latest Projects++
    [Open Source] Injection Library
    Simple PE Cipher
    FilthyHooker - Simple Hooking Class
    CLR Injector - Inject .NET dlls with ease
    Simple Injection - An in-depth look
    MPGH's .NET SDK
    eJect - Simple Injector
    Basic PE Explorer (BETA)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason For This Useful Post:

MJLover (04-02-2011),whit (04-03-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Freelancer.com can frankly suck my right nut. Worst site in the fucking world. They take 10% or $5 (whichever gives them more money) from each job. Then, to withdraw funds you have to have $30+ (so if you do a $30 job, you'll end up with $25 after they bitch you, and you can't withdraw it til you do another) and then the first time you withdraw funds, you have to wait for a 15 WORKING day delay before they even process it. Then they also charge you to withdraw as well. So bloody annoying.
    Wrong. They take the $5 from the employer, you get your $30.

And freelancer.com is great for those who have no experience. I prefer oDesk though - great rates

Thanks

I use elance (elance.com) and oDesk (odesk.com). They are much better than freelancer.com
    Daum on oDesk that want stuff liker antiviruses made...
    I gotta learn Web Development

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I'm probably going to sign up on elance. oDesk asks for you to sign a W9 IRS form

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by ³²³ View Post
    I'm probably going to sign up on elance. oDesk asks for you to sign a W9 IRS form
    no it doesn't 0.o

At least the payment is financially sane !!!! And employers aren't cheap and some will hire you for ~$30 an hour.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I just bid on a few easy projects to start.. not joking, one of them is making a program that creates iso files.. / easy 20£(32$)

on freelancer.. Because oDesk wanted an IRS form signed electronically and Elance's test system is down (so I can't bid).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ³²³ View Post
    I just bid on a few easy projects to start.. not joking, one of them is making a program that creates iso files.. / easy 20£(32$)

on freelancer.. Because oDesk wanted an IRS form signed electronically and Elance's test system is down (so I can't bid).
    Um link me to that Project Job
    Maybe they'll take my lower bid
    Last edited by whit; 04-03-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast