Thread: World History

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

World History

It's finals season and stuff and I was recently assigned a world history study guide. I finished and decided I should share it with the lovelies of MPGH. Enjoy. It covers what you should be tested on from the 12 Tables to the Bay of Pigs.

• Democracy – a system of govt. in which the whole population can vote to elect its public officers
    • Monarchy – a form of govt. with a monarch, king/queen, at its head.
    • Federalism – a system of govt. in which governing power is shared between state and national govt.
    • Republic – a state in which supreme power is held by an elected president by the people
    • 12 Tables – an official legal code created to prevent plebeians from not knowing the law and its punishments and give equal punishments no matter class
    • Torah – the law of God revealed to Moses recorded in the first five books of the Pentateuch
    • Magna Carta – the first document forced onto an English king; challenged the monarchy’s authority
    • Declaration of Independence – a document declaring the US independent from the British Crown
    • Aristotle – focused on analyzing and classifying based on observation and investigation
    • Plato – three groups, upper class is philosopher-kings, middle class is warriors, bottom class is gallimaufry
    • Socrates – believed all knowledge is present in each person and careful questioning could draw it out, believed education had no other purpose than improving understanding
    • Rousseau – argued people had adopted laws and govt. to preserve personal property, the general will represent what is considered best for the entire community
    • Hobbes – believed in the right of the individual, natural equality of men, political power based on the consent of the people, people are free to do whatever the law does not explicitly forbid
    • Locke – natural rights, govt. should protect the natural rights of the people and if they fail to do so, the public are justified in rebelling and forming a new govt.
    • Montesquieu – considered the first political scientist; republics suitable for small states, despotism suitable for large states, monarchies suitable for moderate-size states; separation of powers
    • Voltaire – opposed Catholic Church and traditional Christianity, Deist, believer in free speech.
    • Beccaria – argued that brutal punishment did not stop others from turning to crime, “It is not absurd, that the laws, which punish murder, should, in order to prevent murder, publically commit murder themselves?”
    • Jefferson – drafted the Declaration of Independence; like Madison, he was attracted to Locke’s ideas
    • Machiavelli – an Italian philosopher, humanist, and writer based in Florence; one of the main founders of political science
    • Democratic Ideas – the Senate, a republic, power resides in the people, civic virtue, public officers are elected by the people
    • Democracy’s Formal Origin – Ancient Greece but democratic practices came from Rome
    • Estates of France – First Estate is clergy, the Second Estate is nobles, and the Third Estate is everyone else
    • French Revolution – political and social inequalities, govt. bankruptcy, influenced by the American Revolution, widespread famine and malnutrition; Tennis Court Oath, Storming of the Bastille, Beginning of the Great Fear, The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, Palace of Versailles stormed, leadership of Napoleon
    • Napoleon – galvanized the French people into a well-functioning govt. after the French Revolution, discovered the Rosetta Stone, Napoleonic Code, proved SMALL PEOPLE CAN DO BIG THINGS 
    • Congress of Vienna – first of a series of meetings that would soon be known as the Concert of Europe, attempted to forge a peaceful balance of power in Europe
    • Scorched Earth Policy – a military strategy of burning or destroying crops or other resources that might be of use to an invading enemy force
    • Industrial Revolution – started in England; caused by an abundance of food, workers forced to move to towns for find work, Britain having a large supply of money to invent in new industrial machines
    • James Watt – improved the steam engine and allowed it to drive machinery
    • Henry Bessemer – developed the Bessemer process which allowed mass steel to be produced cheap
    • Thomas Edison – United States inventor; inventions include incandescent electric light and phonograph
    • Eli Whitney – inventor of the mechanical cotton gin

• Communism – a sociopolitical movement that aims for a classless and stateless society structured upon common ownership of the means of production
    • Imperialism – a policy of extending a country’s power and influence through military and political means
    • Militarism – belief that a country should maintain a strong military capability to defend or promote national interests
    • Nationalism – the love of one’s country and the willingness to sacrifice for it
    • Marxism – political and economic theories of Karl Marx, later used as the basis for communist theories
    • Urbanization – the process where cities grow and societies become more urban
    • Alliances – in WW1, Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy vs. France, Russia, and Britain; in WW2, United States, Soviet Union, and England vs. Germany, Japan, and Italy
    • Schlieffen Plan – overall strategic plan for victory in a possible two-front war
    • New Economic Policy – an economic policy proposed by Lenin to prevent the Russian economy from collapsing
    • Five-Year Plans – a series of nation-wide centralized exercises in rapid economic development in the Soviet Union
    • Lebenstraum – the territory believed needed for a nation’s natural development
    • Munich Conference – an agreement permitting Nazi German annexation of Czechoslovakia’s Sudetenland
    • Non-Aggression Pact – an international treaty between two or more states agreeing to avoid war or armed conflict and resolve disputes through peaceful negotiations
    • Battle of Britain – prolonged bombing of British cities by the German Luftwaffe during WW2
    • Hiroshima and Nagasaki – during the final stages of WW2, the United States conducted two atomic bombings against Japan in the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    • Brinkmanship – the practice of pursuing a dangerous policy to the limits of safety before stopping
    • Containment – the action or policy of preventing the expansion of a hostile country or influence
    • NATO and SEATO – formed to prevent the Soviet Union from expanding
    • United Nations – an international organization of countries set up in 1945 to promote international peace, security, and cooperation
    • Robespierre – French revolutionary, led the radical National Assembly and initiated the Reign of Terror, when he fell from favor, he was guillotined
    • Karl Marx – founder of modern communism, wrote the Communism Manifesto in 1848
    • Kaiser William I – under leadership of William and Otto Van Bismarck, Prussia achieved the unification of Germany and the establishment of the German empire
    • Gavrilo Princip – assassinated Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie In Saravejo 28 June 1914
    • Franz Ferdinand – archduke of Austria, his assassination triggered the outbreak of WW1
    • Otto Von Bismarck – Prussian chancellor of the German empire 1871-90, known as the Iron Chancellor, driving force behind the Unification of Germany
    • Alexander Kerensky – Russian revolutionary who was head of state after Nicholas II was abdicated but was overthrown by the Bolsheviks
    • Vladimir Lenin – premier of the Soviet Union, in 1917 he established the Bolshevik control after the overthrow of the czar
    • Leon Trotsky – Russian revolutionary who helped organize the October Revolution with Lenin but was later murdered by a Stalin assassin
    • Joseph Stalin – Communist leader, general secretary of the Communist party of the Soviet Union 1922-53, launched the Five-Year Plans for rapid industrialization and enforced collective agriculture, large-scale purges of intelligentsia in the 1930s
    • Benito Mussolini – Italian prime minister 1922-43, known as Il Duce, founded the Italian Fascist Party in 1919, entered WW2 on Germany’s side, executed a few weeks before the end of the war
    • Douglas MacArthur – commander of the Allied forces in the Pacific during WW2, accepted Japanese surrender in 1945, used island hopping tactic
    • Erwin Rommel – German field marshal, knows as Desert Fox, commander of the German Afrika Korps, defeated by Montgomery at El Alamein in 1942
    • Bernard Montgomery – British Army commander, defeated Erwin “Desert Fox” Rommel at El Alamein
    • Dwight Eisenhower – United States general who supervised the invasion of Normandy and defeat Nazi Germany, 34th president of the United States
    • Hirohito – emperor of Japan during WW2, surrendered unconditionally in 1946, was forced to renounce his divinity and become a constitutional monarch after WW2
    • Harry Truman – 33rd president of the United States, initiated the Truman Doctrine, introduced the Marshall Plan, authorized the use of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki
    • John F. Kennedy – youngest elected president in the history of the United States, assassinated on 22 November 1963
    • Fidel Castro – set up a communist regime in Cuba after overthrowing President Batista
    • Nikita Khrushchev – Soviet statesman, came close to war with the United States over the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962
    • Causes of Imperialism – political control, economical benefits, spreading of religion, ideological beliefs, exploratory purposes
    • British Colonial Empire – covered almost a quarter of the Earth’s total land area at its peak and was the largest empire in history
    • The United States entered WW1 because of the sinking of the passenger ship, the Lusitania, the Zimmerman Telegram, and Germany’s unrestricted submarine warfare
    • Treaty of Versailles – treaty imposed on Germany after WW1 which demanded reparations from the Germans that plunged their economy into ruin
    • The Russian Revolution – the coup d’etat by the Bolsheviks under Lenin in November 1917 that led to a period of civil war which ended in Bolshevik victory in 1922
    • The Nazi Party – Hitler promised that Germany would become a nation once more that was powerful and respected
    • Turning Points – in WW1, when the United States entered the war; in WW2, the Battle of Stalingrad
    • The Holocaust – the Holocaust is the mass murder of Jews under the Nazi regime from 1941-45
    • Yalta Conference – meeting between Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt; planned the final stages of WW2 and the division of Europe
    • Germany Divided – Caused the Berlin Wall, blockade, and Berlin Airlift; during the Cold War, was a focal point of conflict
    • Chinese Civil War – fought between the KMT and CPC, war began April 1927
    • Korean War – conflict between North and South Korea, North received Chinese assistance and South received UN assistance, split at 38th parallel
    • Vietnam War – fought between the communist armies of North Vietnam, supported by the Chinese, against the armies of South Vietnam, supported by the United States; split at the 17th parallel
    • Bay of Pigs Invasion – a failed invasion attempt by United States trained Cuban exiles which tried to overthrow the government of Fidel Castro, sparked the Cuban Missile Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIN
    Shit, now I have to enter this chapacha shit.
    my tumblr
    How To: Not Get Banned Botting

"Had a dream I was king. I woke up, still king."
    .................................................-Eminem

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I feel smart that i know about all of those people and events.
    My Mods
    Roulette WheelX
    No Smoke ModX
    Clear Infected ScreenX
    Colorful SmokeX
    Anywhere Bomb Defuse ModX
    Colored Knife Crosshair ModX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I'm not sure if that means you read it or if you're just stating that you didn't need it and feel smart because you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TOXIN
    Shit, now I have to enter this chapacha shit.
    my tumblr
    How To: Not Get Banned Botting

"Had a dream I was king. I woke up, still king."
    .................................................-Eminem