Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

(Man-made black holes) 10th september

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/UsCPvYVCzGs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/UsCPvYVCzGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SCIENTISTS are trying to stop the most powerful experiment ever – saying the black holes it will create could destroy the world. Dubbed by some the Doomsday test, it will be carried out next week in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), located 300ft underground near the French-Swiss border. The machine is 17 miles long and cost £4.4billion to create.
    When its switch is pulled on September 10, this atom-smasher will become a virtual time machine, revealing what happened when the universe came into existence 14 billion years ago. New particles of matter are expected to be discovered, new dimensions found beyond the four known, as scientists re-create conditions in the first BILLIONTHS of a second after the Big Bang. Experts even predict that millions of tiny black holes will be produced — baby brothers of the monsters gobbling up dust and stars at the heart of the galaxies.

That is why boffins are now trying to stop the project with a last-ditch challenge in the courts. They fear the LHC experimenters are tinkering with the unknown and putting mankind — and our whole planet — at risk. The group responsible for the experiment, the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN), says that these mini black holes will vanish as quickly as they are created. But anti-CERN the brigade accuse the scientists of playing God, warning that no one can guarantee that the black holes will not survive, rapidly growing in size to suck the Earth out of existence in an instan
    Nature forms black holes when certain stars, much larger than our Sun, collapse on themselves at the end of their lives. They concentrate a very large amount of matter in a very small space. Speculations about microscopic black holes at the LHC refer to particles produced in the collisions of pairs of protons, each of which has an energy comparable to that of a mosquito in flight. Astronomical black holes are much heavier than anything that could be produced at the LHC.

According to the well-established properties of gravity, described by Einstein’s relativity, it is impossible for microscopic black holes to be produced at the LHC. There are, however, some speculative theories that predict the production of such particles at the LHC. All these theories predict that these particles would disintegrate immediately. Black holes, therefore, would have no time to start accreting matter and to cause macroscopic effects.
    The safety of the LHC
    Last edited by AN1MAL; 09-03-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Thats cool
    wonder if its true or not...
    The night fades with a breath of sunshine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Well on the 8th they say earth will be destroyed this year.

Thanks
    the experiment will take place at 10th of september, and there is a possibility that something goes wrong and they create black hole that doesnt dissappear and sux all the matter. Read CERN's website and @the video the end is way too sad ;/
    Last edited by AN1MAL; 09-03-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    They say they are trying to recreate the Big Bang. And they are afraid that an outcome could be destruction of Earth...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oneirish View Post
    They say they are trying to recreate the Big Bang. And they are afraid that an outcome could be destruction of Earth...
    well said

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Yo thats so sick .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Do you even know what it's about...? They are messing around with the unknown. They are making two opposing particles collide with each other cause it go to one way. They believe it's going to cause a black hole or big bang. They are afraid of something happening.

Thanks
    you cant play god....... so what u know what happened at bigbang and then? the risk is too big to take, really not worth it. i dont understand how they approved this experiment

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    That's what I was saying. I think they are playing with stuff too powerful and don't know what they could be getting themselves into. They say they can't make a black hole, but a Micro Black Hole every second. They say the micro black holes would decay instantly, but other beliefs say that if they cannot control them, they would combine and devour the earth... That's what enstiens theory of relativity predicts would occur. This isn't a theory, this is a fact that it could go wrong or could discover 1000's of things about our universe and planet, or nothing could happen...

Watch and read this: This would clarify a lot.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Nothing's gonna happen. This shit might happen, only if the super string theory is correct. And that shit is the most lamest shit I have heard in my life, like they say there are 8 dimensional warpy thingies everywhere, but they super tiny.

Even if it was true, the black hole would most likely not be able to support itself (using the same physics model). Bunch of world famous physicists said there would be no harm.

Besides, if America doesn't do it, the terrorists will. >

WERE #1! WERE #1! USA! USA!

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    They paid £4.4billion to create it, might as well do it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    They are saying it's a time machine. Trying to take you back to the big bang... Reinact it to show what happened back then. So who knows, they say the protons collide in the middle of atlas (center)... makes energy, and shows the energy from big bang. And they are hoping that it can be contained. Some are afraid that if it isn't something unfixable could happen. (end of earth). The main question they are trying to figure out is How does the universe work. So who knows.

Only way to figure something out is do experiments.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast