Thanks
    My Mood
    Worried
    Infinite in size but finite in age.

Sig By: X | MSN: X | YouTube: X | Giver of No Fucks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Two possibilities: as the time is "infinite" either we will eventually return to a state where the enthropy is near to that of the big bang (if you have infiite time eventually all the different states will be met, riiiiight?) or the heat death of the universe will occour <3

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by natiko View Post
    The fact that something expands means it was/is finite at some point.

e.g. this line
    ------------------------------------------>
    say it is supposed to expand for ever. what if someone manages to travel faster than the expansion rate?

say I reach were x is

-------------------------------------------> x
    @natiko That only means you're expanding/traveling faster than the line. Just because you're faster than the line doesn't mean your speed will make it stop expanding.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    We will never know if its infinite or finite simply for the fact that we dont have the necessary technology to do so..So until then its up to our own minds to decide for us whats there and whats not there

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Well, I assume it is infinite, though it can only be theory/assumption as we do not yet have the means to prove either way.

One thing that leads me to this conclusion (not basing off of anything I've read or seen and thinking about it on my own) is that I theorize that if the universe was finite we would have been microwaved. I say this because many metals reflect radiation. Many of those metals, and others not found here on Earth, are in majority of the bodies in space. There are TONS of sources of heat and radiation and other deadly rays (from stars and other celestial bodies). If the universe was finite it would be a "microwave effect" and the rays would reach a boundary and bounce back (exactly the same as a microwave works), therefore heating up the universe exponentially as time passes. As old as the universe is, I also theorize that by now Earth would be heated up far beyond a suitable environment for us by now.

I also theorize that since our brains have a finite capacity and we only see/observe things that are finite in our existence, TRUE comprehension of "infinite" is beyond our grasp still. We have an understanding of the "concept" but not true comprehension of "infinite" in all its application and what it entails if, for example, the universe is infinite. We can't process what it means if it goes on forever because we have nothing to compare that to.
    Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 06-27-2011 at 01:30 PM.

My respect and gratitude to the following members for their contributions and frequently helping others:
    Hell_Demon, Sid, Dank, Pie, Doomsday.today, LordInferno

"You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad."
    ~Morpheus

“The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.”
    ~ Thomas Paine

Thanks
    In theory, the universe is infinite and will continue to expand forever. Calculations based off of the Friedmann equation puts us very close to the critical density. Should the values exceed critical density, the universe would be considered closed and therefore gravity will win and pull us into what is referred to as the Big Crunch. Should we be exactly at critical density, the universe would be considered flat with the expansion rate slowing down but never enough to allow gravity to win allowing it to expand forever. Based off of other calculations, the universe seems to be expanding at an accelerating rate which would put us below critical density and therefore it will continue to expand and accelerate forever.
    Caltech -Theoretical physics

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I think its infinite, but it could be either way.
    [IMG]https://i527.photobucke*****m/albums/cc360/zachary12365/coaster.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    I believe that the universe is finite, and separated from other universes. To put this into an image for y'all it would be like a ton of floating bubbles that never touch.

Thanks
    I too like the multiverse idea but there is no real way of testing such a hypothesis. Also, our observations of the redshifts of galaxies and our calculations of the accelerated expansion of the universe would go against the idea of a multiverse. No matter what, those observations heavily support an infinite universe unless our numbers are completely wrong, which is also possible but I'm confident in that it's closer to accurate then being way off.

Also, should we have a multiverse that are like bubbles, then something would still have needed to create the space they occupy and one would have needed to break off the other to begin the seeding process for the creation of the rest. Just as normal bubbles interact, they can break apart into pairs or collide and stick to one another. That would be too much mass to allow the expansion to pull them apart and spread them out. They would have all collided together due to gravity to form one big universe with no expansion or even compress it back to a singularity which in that case, we wouldn't be here.

Just my thoughts
    Last edited by Einstein2.0; 07-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.
    Caltech -Theoretical physics

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Infinite....

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Finite at any one moment, but in practice infinite because after a certain point everything is receding faster than the speed of light.
    [IMG]https://i381.photobucke*****m/albums/oo259/darkstar9540/wbstrange.png[/IMG]
    "I really screwed up this time."
    Jeffrey Dahmer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12