Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

SURVIVAL MODE INFO!

hey guys keep in mind this is not mine all credit goes to Mike schramm from Joystiq.com

Modern Warfare 3 preview: Spec Ops Survival mode

hey guys this is a preview of the mw3 spec ops survival mode:

Where to begin? Survival can be played online with a buddy, of course, or split screen local, or even solo (where it's just you against the incoming troops). The basic goal, again, is just to survive as long as possible. But as you play this match, you earn money (actual virtual dollars, not COD points as in Black Ops multiplayer) that you can then spend at a series of in-map stores. After the first match, a gun store opens up, and then a few matches later, an equipment store appears, and finally an "air support" store shows up as well.

Money earned in the match (for kills, teammate revives, and various other actions) can be spent in these stores on all of the various things a Modern Warfare soldier would usually carry. The gun store holds a number of weapons which you can not only buy, but then upgrade with various sights or add-ons. There's also an option to re-purchase ammo, in case you run out. The equipment store is packed in with things like frag grenades and tripmines, and even turrets and C4.

The air support store is probably the most interesting -- for a significant amount of money (and after it opens up on the map, around wave 3), you can buy some air support attacks, including a new reward called "Delta Squad." When used, that will summon a group of four AI soldiers to the map via helicopter that serve as your allies, shooting alongside you for as long as they live.

Some of these purchases are governed by progression level, and I was told that this time around, Spec Ops has its own experience and level progression, completely separate from the multiplayer progression. While the balance and rewards on that aren't completely locked down yet, one of the highest level rewards was the option to buy a "Riot Shield Squad" in the air support store, which means you'd be calling down riot shield officers rather than just soldiers.

You will probably need everything you can buy and then some -- the enemies start out with just shotguns (which you can grab off the ground to upgrade your starting pistol), and get harder from there. Guard dogs are back in the mix again and not one but two assault helicopters showed up about five waves in. Later, there are soldiers equipped with C4 that explodes when they die, and after that there are dogs equipped with the same rigs. That's right: Dynamite dogs. And on the very last wave that we made it to, I learned that the Juggernaut, the blast suit-wearing badass from Modern Warfare 2, is back.

Doing well across waves (getting headshots, rocking a solid accuracy rating, and taking less damage) gets you more money to spend on in-match items, and Survival also has two onscreen challenge meters to try and fill. The Rampage challenge, for example, rewards you when you kill a bunch of enemies in a row, both with extra cash and with an actual visual explosion of dollar bills in the game world. When you fill up a meter by pulling off Rampages, the reward goes up. Don't pull off Rampages, and the meter will slowly drain out. I also saw a Kill Streak challenge (where you fill the meter by killing multiple enemies without being damaged), and there are a few others in the mix from round to round.

You can share money with your co-op partner if they need some extra cash, and you can revive them if they happen to fall (fallen players can summon their partners to help by pressing Y). There are at least a few difficulty levels to play with, though it wasn't clear how many. And on one more mysterious note, there was an armor value at the bottom of the screen that started at 100, and fell as I got shot. It's unclear whether that's something just for this mode or if it's a gamewide thing, but the Activision rep didn't provide comment.

Was it fun? It was -- the mechanics of Modern Warfare were familiar, and the incoming enemy soldiers provided a different challenge than what you'd find in the single- or multiplayer modes. Admittedly, the action was a little wackier than what we've seen from Infinity Ward in the past (the explosion of cash on a Rampage definitely takes you out of the military simulation of it all, not to mention the dynamite dogs), but even playing with an Activision employee provided thrills I think that would only be expanded upon by playing with a good friend. And the cash/store balance seemed fun -- every time I felt like I'd gotten used to a certain weapon or piece of equipment purchased, I had earned just enough money to head back to the store and pick up something newer and better.

There's not a ton of innovation in the actual mode itself, but of course it's Horde mode painted with the Modern Warfare brush. As one part of the much larger scheme of Modern Warfare 3, Spec Ops Survival is a good fit.

thanks guys id appreciate it if u could Thanks and rep me!
    Last edited by frandaman; 06-21-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    10 posts [o]

20 posts [o]

30 posts [o]

40 posts [o]

50 posts [o]

75 posts [o]

100posts [o]

200posts [x]

10000posts [unlikley]
    PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frandaman For This Useful Post:

iSiiK (07-09-2011),TechnoX (06-21-2011),uenvythis (06-29-2011),xbeatsszzx (06-21-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Wow sounds nice
    I Am on this site for the mods for mw2 ONLY. Not hacks.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    So... like zombies from BO but then with normal humans? Epic.
    I have big mess.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Sound's nice, Call of Duty Grows UP, time has come and i've seen the MW3 videos and truth its become Releastic

Releastic = Real Life

Look Call of Duty 1 and view MW2 or black ops, look driffient's..

I think CoD Is Becoume Real LIFE!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    yeah this mode should be awsome.... also there is going to be a gamplay video released of survival mode in about a week so i will post it when i get my hands on it.(it will be more than 1 wave).
    10 posts [o]

20 posts [o]

30 posts [o]

40 posts [o]

50 posts [o]

75 posts [o]

100posts [o]

200posts [x]

10000posts [unlikley]
    PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    It is allready in MW2.. kind of.. Museum..
    [center]

Back in '10

Got a question?PM/VM me!
    I read them all.
    Also contact me via MSN.
    vlad@mpgh.net

Minion since:07-04-2010
    Mod since:08-31-2010
    Till : 05.07.2011

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by B4M View Post
    It is allready in MW2.. kind of.. Museum..

.....-_- this is like waves of enemys and you get money and exp with its own ranking system....

i dont know what museum you were playin but all it was, was killing all of the guys coming to life and thats it...

dude this is nothing like the museum.
    10 posts [o]

20 posts [o]

30 posts [o]

40 posts [o]

50 posts [o]

75 posts [o]

100posts [o]

200posts [x]

10000posts [unlikley]
    PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Besides the thing that they come in waves (which is easier) and you get money.. there is no difference.

Altho I didn't bother to read it all.
    [center]

Back in '10

Got a question?PM/VM me!
    I read them all.
    Also contact me via MSN.
    vlad@mpgh.net

Minion since:07-04-2010
    Mod since:08-31-2010
    Till : 05.07.2011

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    MW2 has ****** mode with other charachers, belive me it's alot better than figh the zombies in wave's
    and zombies never die :/

Thanks
    I can't wait to play MW3..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by ♪ςander!♪ View Post
    MW2 has ****** mode with other charachers, belive me it's alot better than figh the zombies in wave's
    and zombies never die :/
    You sound sooooooooooo wrong.....

= YES = NO
    300 Posts
    500 Posts
    800 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttdpmg View Post
    You sound sooooooooooo wrong.....
    ^ .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I like this.
    Modern Warfare 3 ♥

Thanks
    if you watch the videos i posted you wont have to read this, they play this with 1 of those talk show guys, but whatevz.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    if you watch the videos i posted you wont have to read this, they play this with 1 of those talk show guys, but whatevz.
    i realize this but this is just a more in depth description on what to expect.
    plus hey only do 1 wave, there is a video with more than 1 wave coming out sometime next week so i can post it as soon as i get it..

ps. they didnt really explain as much as i have on the video they were manley showing the gameplay...
    10 posts [o]

20 posts [o]

30 posts [o]

40 posts [o]

50 posts [o]

75 posts [o]

100posts [o]

200posts [x]

10000posts [unlikley]
    PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast