Thread: Update

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

Update

Notch updated his blog

1: Back in the office, and some words on 1.7 and 1.8!

After a few weeks out of the office (E3, then Italy, then F.3.A.R this weekend (great game!)), I’m finally back in the office. The chair is a lot more comfortable than I remember, and the office is overflowing with irony. While I was gone, we’ve hired another graphics artist to help out with Scrolls, Mattis (@bomuboi on twitter), and two more potential employees are being talked to. More news on that when we’ve signed them.

Me and Jens have been independently working on stuff for the adventure update, and it’s been growing in scope as we’ve been working on it. That means it will take quite some time to finish, but that it will hopefully change the game a lot to the better. To prevent going too far between updates, we’ve decided to release Pistons early.

That means 1.7 will be released soon, containing only pistons and probably a couple of bug fixes. The adventure update will take however long it takes, and will be released as 1.8. It might be a long wait, but it will be worth it!

After 1.8, we’ll have to start crunching for the full release in November. That includes finishing up the mod api, improving stability and performance, adding supporting features like friends lists and a proper server browser, integrating singleplayer and multiplayer, and most importantly fleshing out the gameplay.

The release date is almost certainly changed to sometime the week after 11/11/11, and we’re working hard on setting that up. We want to make a big spectacle out of the release where we involve fans and celebrate it properly.

Then we’ll rest for a few weeks. Then I’ll start working on the first post-release update.

_____

2: Trickling information about the Adventure Update

Since 1.8 is still a significant time away, we’re going to have to stop being as secretive about it as we have. We’ll provide information about it as we go, but we’ll keep actual details secret. So, for example, we could say “added two new colors” without saying which ones, or “testing experience and leveling to see if it’s fun” without giving details on exactly how it works.

The update is pretty big, and will change a lot of how Minecraft is played, focusing on making exploration and combat much more rewarding, and bringing in a bigger sense of adventure to the game.

Already implemented are new complex terrain features, at least one new mob, some interesting new combat mechanics, a new lighting engine, and some experimental new gameplay ideas. To come is more interesting farming, bigger incentives to explore, and npc villages.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    This is old like couple days old.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by aragarof View Post
    This is old like couple days old.
    yea, the first was posted yesterday, and the second was posted today
    couple days old
    gtfo, I posted it for ppl who want to know stg and not just random spam

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I think the pistons ruin the Minecraft theme.

Kinda ruins the simplicity that made the game so enjoyable.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd_01 View Post
    I think the pistons ruin the Minecraft theme.

Kinda ruins the simplicity that made the game so enjoyable.
    Frankly minecraft needs more items. With the limited stuff there is now, there is only a limit of what the player can do. Redstone has a lot of potential, but if there was a lot more stuff added into the game, it may mean that the game will have extra play value.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    Frankly minecraft needs more items. With the limited stuff there is now, there is only a limit of what the player can do. Redstone has a lot of potential, but if there was a lot more stuff added into the game, it may mean that the game will have extra play value.
    Add more playability to the game, but they should do so by adding simple machines, not something as complex as pistons. At least not yet.

@Heartview
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd_01 View Post
    Add more playability to the game, but they should do so by adding simple machines, not something as complex as pistons. At least not yet.

@Heartview
    why is a piston that complex?