Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Toaru Majutsu no Index (Seasons 1 and 2)

Just finished watching the Anime. It's based of light novels and follows really damn close, I started reading them and most of the lines in the anime are directly from the novels.

It was a decent Anime but everything in the first and second seasons feels like prologue (which it technically is). There is no central story line (which I usually feel a need for) until the last episode which essentially starts the main plot (a war between espers and magic). However, it was quite interesting as it is set in a world where almost everyone has powers and the main character has none. The only thing he possesses is the ability to negate powers with his right hand.

A bit of a summery (stolen from Wikipedia):
    Toaru Majutsu no Index is set in Academy City, a technologically advanced Academic city located at western Tokyo which studies scientifically advanced superhuman students with powers, but is also set in a world where magic is real. Tōma Kamijō is a student in Academy City whose right hand, the Imagine Breaker, has the ability to negate any supernatural powers, but also his own luck. One day he finds a young girl hanging on his balcony railing named Index. She is a nun from Necessarius, a secret magic branch of the Church of England, and her mind has been implanted with the Index Librorum Prohibitorum—103,000 forbidden magical books the Church has removed from circulation. His encounter with her leads him to meet others from the secret world of science and magic and an adventure with his friends where science and magic collide. Tōma's unusual power places him at the center of conflicts relating magicians and science-based espers in Academy City. As Tōma tries to help and protect his friends, he learns the people he knows are not as they appear and begins to attract the attention of magicians and espers alike as they try to unravel the secrets of Academy City and Index.
    I'm really hoping a third season will be made, now that there is a driving, large scale conflict. However, the soonest it could be done is by next year October as the studio is currently working on another Anime.
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 11-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Yeah, its pretty good. The anime.....is pretty slow. The manga translations, even more so.

The third war arc is pretty entertaining. I aleady made a thread way back when about it.
    ----------------------------

Basically tho, touma is the most boring, unimaginative, and STUPID character outside of maybe naruto or ichigo from bleach. He serves as more of a plot device than an actual main character.

need a bad guy to go down? Just call on touma, he's done jack shit all this arc, so here he is! Boss dies in one hit. OK ROLL NEXT ARC>
    -Whats worse is that touma loses his memory, then railgun picks up on it, but for a huge time pass, says nothing/does nothing. So by the time she does pick up on it, its almost irrelevant as so much more has happened.

I personally loved accelerator in the WW3 arc, as him, misaka worse, and last order take a bigger role this time around. His power is probably one of the most interesting i've seen in anime.

Good series, anime is slow and so are translations.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    For the most part I agree, however I enjoyed Touma. He was funny and it was nice to see something without powers as a main character instead of the usual OP piece of shit.

On the memory, I didn't notice that Misaka figured out he lost his memory, what episode/part was that in? I do think that him losing his memory didn't affect the plot nearly in the way it should have. It could have been a driving point but was almost glossed over.

The Accelerator is awesome. I love his attitude and powers. However, I still like Touma more (I'm a main character fan, what can I say).

I'm assuming you read the novels seeing you talk about WW3 arc?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Touma isn't even a character. Literally ALL his personality is reactionary to others. His character is like someone saying BOO and then he going AAAHHHH! His character has no real background, no development, and worse of all, he keeps goddamn doing jack shit till MULTIPLE people point out he should save index(for the billionth time).

Touma, is in the simplest words: a blank slate.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Yeah, idk what the manga volume it was...... probably 20-22 or so. In the LN though. Anime hinted right after with railgun.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    What does "no Index" mean? I seen alot of anime with "no Index" in the title.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Touma isn't even a character. Literally ALL his personality is reactionary to others. His character is like someone saying BOO and then he going AAAHHHH! His character has no real background, no development, and worse of all, he keeps goddamn doing jack shit till MULTIPLE people point out he should save index(for the billionth time).

Touma, is in the simplest words: a blank slate.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Yeah, idk what the manga volume it was...... probably 20-22 or so. In the LN though. Anime hinted right after with railgun.
    I disagree to a point.

The whole beach arc was about his past and relatives. He does tend to react as opposed to initiate a conflict. I wouldn't say he's a blank slate as he shows he cares about his friends and does his best to protect them. Though I think his relationships with girls are pretty much all the same (except for Index).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by L View Post

I disagree to a point.

The whole beach arc was about his past and relatives. He does tend to react as opposed to initiate a conflict. I wouldn't say he's a blank slate as he shows he cares about his friends and does his best to protect them. Though I think his relationships with girls are pretty much all the same (except for Index).
    :/ his character is less developed than sakura from naruto.

The reason i call him a blank slate or rather a perpetual blank slate is this:

After EVERY arc. EVERY SINGLE ONE. He carries nothing from it, he does nothing differently, and he (for the love of god) has never evolved any relations with anyone.
    ----------------------------------------
    His power is anti-magic. Whats ironic is that he, like every shonen, never faces a smart opponent. Every one of his oppenents has no combat ability whatsoever without magic. Yah think they'd be able to beat some anti-magic guy by just bringing idk, a gun! a sword! a pointy stick!

Touma runs around for w/e the amount of time is, finally touches the bad guy, and then boom, he's done! Thats all he can do. His character is merely the center for all the other, more interesting, better developed characters to move around.

Its kinda the complete opposite of say naruto/bleach. Instead of the main character being cool, everyone else is.
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/6-anime/35...ing-index.html

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Meh I see where you're coming from but I really don't mind it. It's rather refreshing to have a main character like that.

TBH, he's my favorite character in the show, then Accelerator (as long as he isn't in too many scenes or else it gets old), and third the Saint woman with the sword (forgot her name).
    Last edited by Shakugan no Shana; 11-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.