Threaded View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Hacking: The Art Of Exploitation 2nd Edition

Hacking: The Art Of Exploitation 2nd Edition

I'm going to get back into low-level programming, thus I'm going to start hacking again. Okay, I know the cover looks a little cheap, but its a really good book. I've been reading it for a couple of days now, and it has a bunch of amazing ideas in it. The first chapter is not really hacking, but reviewing your C and ASM (I suggest you have a good understanding of C\C++ programming and a little assembly knowledge before reading it). The book was written quite well. You pretty much write and compile programs in C, and examine them line by line disassembled. The book provides you with a bootable linux, which has a C compiler and debugger implemented and setup in it. Aslong as you're using the provided compiler, they should be assembled the exact way the book has it. The only problem I have with this book is it's use of an out-dated Ubuntu redistributation of linux. -_- And the disk is 715MBs, which is pretty fucked up, because I kinda wanted to boot through it on my computer, but I only have 700MB disks ='(. I suggest you use VMware, and not your current version of linux. Your current version of linux may have an updated compiler and thus it will assemble your C code differently. Which will fuck you up hard if you're trying to follow the book.

You should have good understanding of C\C++(or programming in general), and bit of asm, as well as how a computer stores\manages its memory(as this book doesn't explain that too clearly).

It teaches you a lot more:

• Program computers using C, assembly language, and shell scripts
    • Corrupt system memory to run arbitrary code using buffer overflows and format strings
    • Inspect processor registers and system memory with a debugger to gain a real understanding of what is happening
    • Outsmart common security measures like nonexecutable stacks and intrusion detection systems
    • Gain access to a remote server using port-binding or connect-back shellcode, and alter a server's logging behavior to hide your presence
    • Redirect network traffic, conceal open ports, and hijack TCP connections
    • Crack encrypted wireless traffic using the FMS attack, and speed up brute-force attacks using a password probability matrix

I'm too lazy to write a whole review(and I can't, I haven't completed the book), so take a look at this :
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, 2nd Edition

If you see this book in the store, buy it. This is the first book I've ever felt guilty for torrenting.

Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 12-31-2008 at 12:25 AM.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?