Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Comparison of security suites

This thread is based on AV Comparatives' work and uses the newest overall results available for ranking the security suites. Although this may present the best current AVs using AV Comparatives' methodology, general trends and past evaluations can be viewed on their site for a better overview of the AV market. The security suites are for the most part Internet Suites, meaning they have a bundled AV and internet security package (firewalls, anti-phishers, email scanners etc.). General past trends and specific tests show the best AVs being F-Secure, Symantec, Kaspersky, and G Data, but the overall latest performance test results can be seen below with links to the specific products. The products are sorted and grouped based on detection rates that do not depend on user decisions.

Given the detection rates and product prices, the best choices for personal protection are most likely Kaspersky, Avira or G Data.

99% or better detection rate
    1. Symantec

2. F-Secure

3. Kaspersky

4. Bitdefender

5. G Data

95-99% detection rate
    1. Avira

2. Trendmicro

3. K7

4. Sophos

5. AVG

6. Panda

7. Eset

8. Avast

9. McAfee

10. Webroot

11. PC Tools

This thread is based on AV Comparatives' work and uses the newest overall results available for ranking the security suites. Although this may present the best current AVs using AV Comparatives' methodology, general trends and past evaluations can be viewed on their site for a better overview of the AV market. The security suites are for the most part Internet Suites, meaning they have a bundled AV and internet security package (firewalls, anti-phishers, email scanners etc.). General past trends and specific tests show the best AVs being Kaspersky, F-Secure, Avira, Symantec and G Data, but the overall latest performance test results can be seen below with links to the specific products. The products are sorted and grouped based on detection rates that do not depend on user decisions.

Given the detection rates and product prices, the best choices for personal protection are most likely Kaspersky, Avira or G Data.

1. Kaspersky

2. Symantec

3. G Data

4. Bitdefender

5. F-Secure

95-99% detection rate
    1. Trendmicro

2. Avira

3. AVG

4. Eset

5. Panda

6. Sophos

7. McAfee

8. K7

9. Webroot

10. PC Tools

11. Avast
    Last edited by Alen; 02-16-2012 at 02:58 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

faizfahmi77 (12-16-2016),joeramone (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    This is really good info. I'm thinking about getting Kaspersky.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This is really good info. I'm thinking about getting Kaspersky.
    In all honesty the best bang for the buck would most likely be Avira, as it costs half as much as Kaspersky with a minimal performance decrease

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    In all honesty the best bang for the buck would most likely be Avira, as it costs half as much as Kaspersky with a minimal performance decrease
    Really? Hmm, I think I'm going to have to compare them. But thanks a lot for this info. It's really helpful!

Thanks
    @Alen I've had a better experience with ESET Nod32 than any of the "99% detection rate" software you listed. I've gained numerous virus's whilst using Kaspersky, and Bit Defender was full of false positives.

Other than that fantastic list

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Really? Hmm, I think I'm going to have to compare them. But thanks a lot for this info. It's really helpful!
    Just look on their site for more specific test results or go check other independent studies, Kaspersky is considered one of the best AVs, Avira's considered great too. In the end it might just come down to personal preference or specific features

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    @Alen I've had a better experience with ESET Nod32 than any of the "99% detection rate" software you listed. I've gained numerous virus's whilst using Kaspersky, and Bit Defender was full of false positives.

Other than that fantastic list
    The top AVs usually had around the same amount of false positives per test (I think it was a sample of a couple hundred threats and they had 0-15 false positives or something). Although it's a good AV (dunno why it wasn't ranked) just like Kaspersky or Bitdefender, nothing is perfect and no AV can guarantee 100% security. Guess you just had an unlucky run with them, dunno. I would personally really recommend you give Avira a shot though, even though it isn't on top of this list it regularly beats the other "top" AVs in tests.

Thanks
    Just look on their site for more specific test results or go check other independent studies, Kaspersky is considered one of the best AVs, Avira's considered great too. In the end it might just come down to personal preference or specific features

The top AVs usually had around the same amount of false positives per test (I think it was a sample of a couple hundred threats and they had 0-15 false positives or something). Although it's a good AV (dunno why it wasn't ranked) just like Kaspersky or Bitdefender, nothing is perfect and no AV can guarantee 100% security. Guess you just had an unlucky run with them, dunno. I would personally really recommend you give Avira a shot though, even though it isn't on top of this list it regularly beats the other "top" AVs in tests.
    I actually will give it a shot thanks for explaining that out for me, I can't stand having to renew my ESET yearly license. It's expensive >.<

Thanks
    100% Detection Rate? I know for a fact that there are things which can get around Kaspersky, so what is this even based on?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    100% Detection Rate? I know for a fact that there are things which can get around Kaspersky, so what is this even based on?
    If you would bother to read the thread you would find the source and consequentially the methodology used to determine these rates. Thank you for your valuable input.

Thanks
    If you would bother to read the thread you would find the source and consequentially the methodology used to determine these rates. Thank you for your valuable input.
    The way you displayed the information with no clear explanation of the methodology used to determine these results within the thread is very misleading. What I saw, and what most people and will see upon entering the thread is: Kaspersky: 100% Detection Rate. You should probably add "of the files tested". That's what most of these kinds of articles do.
    Last edited by Blitz; 12-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    The way you displayed the information with no clear explanation of the methodology used to determine these results within the thread is very misleading. What I saw, and what most people and will see upon entering the thread is: Kaspersky: 100% Detection Rate. You should probably add "of the files tested". That's what most of these kinds of articles do.
    The methodology encompasses several pages, for the average user Kaspersky is most likely going to block most of the threats he could encounter. I did however add a nice little note so we can end this fruitless discussion

Thanks
    The methodology encompasses several pages, for the average user Kaspersky is most likely going to block most of the threats he could encounter. I did however add a nice little note so we can end this fruitless discussion
    The average user encounters more threats than someone with experience. The average user isn't going to check your source and read several pages in to understand the methodology used, and the average user isn't going to distinguish this information from a factual percentage of viruses detected, and a complex testing system used to give results that don't actually represent the real detection rates of this AV just by you saying "best current AVs using AV Comparatives' methodology". At least, I don't think so. Am I asking you to fix it? No, there is a bar set on how much effort I feel should be put in to something before it becomes a lost cause to me. But, just sayin' -- if you care about this thread you might want to add a few more details.
    Last edited by Blitz; 12-12-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful

This thread is based on AV Comparatives' work and uses the newest overall results available for ranking the security suites. Although this may present the best current AVs using AV Comparatives' methodology, general trends and past evaluations can be viewed on their site for a better overview of the AV market. The security suites are for the most part Internet Suites, meaning they have a bundled AV and internet security package (firewalls, anti-phishers, email scanners etc.). General past trends and specific tests show the best AVs being Kaspersky, F-Secure, Avira, Symantec and G Data, but the overall latest performance test results can be seen below with links to the specific products. The products are sorted and grouped based on detection rates that do not depend on user decisions.

1. Kaspersky

2. Symantec

3. G Data

4. Bitdefender

5. F-Secure

95-99% detection rate
    1. Trendmicro

2. Avira

3. AVG

4. Eset

5. Panda

6. Sophos

7. McAfee

8. K7

9. Webroot

10. PC Tools

11. Avast
    idk man i think and i know Norton is the best antivirus!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by poppin911 View Post
    idk man i think and i know Norton is the best antivirus!!!
    As Blitz pointed out, these aren't long term measurements nor "perfect" statistics - they're just test performed on a sample that was considered representative of what a normal user could come across. Lots of factors aren't tested here, from actual performance to the latest updates.

Thanks
    As Blitz pointed out, these aren't long term measurements nor "perfect" statistics - they're just test performed on a sample that was considered representative of what a normal user could come across. Lots of factors aren't tested here, from actual performance to the latest updates.
    You forgot to mention the part where Norton is horrible

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blitz For This Useful Post:

segerydrth (01-10-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast