Thanks

Player Model Skins

Hey I was wondering if there was a way to edit the player skins like you can do in a lot of steam games like counter-strike, MW, etc.

When I go into the game folder I see a lot of different files (not a whole lot) and I was just wondering if anyone knew where to look and which file to edit or something.

I'd really just like to have whatever team I'm on be BRIGHT BLUE all over and the opposite team be BRIGHT RED all over so they're easier to see from a distance and easier to see when they're in dark places

thanks in advance!

-fuzzy

EDIT: Wow im dumb, haha okay I think i found the files in C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Blacklight Retribution\Live\FoxGame\DLC\PCConsole\Characters

Would i have to edit the TFC file and all the UPK files?

EDIT2: okay the TFC file is nothing. the UPK files are what have all the material data. I believe i can edit them with UDK. I don't think I'll be able to make it team specific cuz the items of gear look the same for both teams, only the little tiny colors on the helmet and arms are team specific (too small for a universal color aimbot). Hopefully I'll be able to edit the color to something lighter/brighter so they'll be easier to see cross-map.
    Last edited by fuzzy_wuzzy; 08-06-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Thanks for solving your own problem and helping me haha ^^

Edit: What tools are you using to import TGAs?

Edit2: After searching around it seems that you cannot repack the TGA's into the UPK files. Thus making texture hacks obsolete?
    Unless it is possible to extract all the files, repack with the edited ones and replace the entire UPK file in the BLR directory?
    Last edited by obsta; 08-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by obsta View Post
    Thanks for solving your own problem and helping me haha ^^

Edit: What tools are you using to import TGAs?

Edit2: After searching around it seems that you cannot repack the TGA's into the UPK files. Thus making texture hacks obsolete?
    Unless it is possible to extract all the files, repack with the edited ones and replace the entire UPK file in the BLR directory?
    I used the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) to edit the TGAs

YES i had the same problem of putting them back into UPK files! So I tried to just import the UPK files directly into the UDK but i couldn't open them. I did some research and it turns out that companies like perfectworld have licensed versions of UDK that they use to make their game (including the UPKs). and you have to have that SAME licensed version of UDK to edit the UPKs!!

When i tried to import them into my UDK i would get an error like "blah blah blah... licenseversion is '2' max allowed is '0'." so at first i tried to get a licensed version of UDK but could not procure one. then i thought on the flip side "what if i just make this UPK not licensed..." I had found a thread where a guy was trying to use a Hex editor to change the value of "licenseversion" (or whatever it was) from "4" to "0". I tried the same method and was able to change the "2" to "0" but then UDK would crash /: I then tried to hex edit UDK and the UPK.... it got complicated and long story short it didn't work.

I found that if you edit that it's hex, it is impossible to open.

ALSO as another answer to your second question: There was some point that I decided "wait... what if this game automatically checks for discrepancies and patches weird files..." so Hex edited the UPK so the license version was 0 again and put it back in the game folder and started BLR. then exited and opened the file with hex editor and it turns out that BLR did in fact patch it back to the original version.... so even if i was able to somehow open the UPK, edit the files, repack it, the game would have patched it back to normal anyway... but then again i was using the launcher to run the game. you can run BLR directly out of the directory without the launcher and maybe it wouldn't have patched.

but that is neither here nor there. it looks like as for now, we just can't edit the UPKs for texture hacks. /: At least we gave it an honest shot trying not to be leechers haha. A for effort!
    Last edited by fuzzy_wuzzy; 08-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzy_wuzzy For This Useful Post:

obsta (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Thanks for that, saved me a gig and a half downloading the UDK I guess its a project we will have to leave to the big boys then.

Thanks
    Oh my goodness I have the exact same question! I wonder, has anyone succeeded in creating custom player skins that are team-specific?