Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

'ight niggahs time to use your creativity.

I have to create a node-based AI navigation system to make our school's robot kick ass. If you don't understand that, just get this: I need to measure how far the robot has moved from its starting point. I need the x and y components of the difference in position (if the surface of the playing field is the plane)

My robot is configured like this (the black lines are wheel connected to motors. The gray box is the robot's shape. It is a :

Here is an example of a similar drive train (our drive train is a shitton better than this though ofc...)

I have this:

*An optical quad encoder (any number of them)
    - They can be used to measure the amount any joint has rotated. I.e, I could attach it to a wheel and measure how far it has traveled.

*A 'line-follower'
    - Emits an infared light and measure the intensity of the reflection. Basically, I can use it to measure how white a surface is (how well it reflects light.) Good for checking if I am over a while or black line (hence what it is called a line-follower)

* Ultra-sonic range finder
    - Omits an ultrasound wave, measures the time it takes for it to reflect back - can be used to measure the distance between the robot and an obstacle or some bs.

* Analog Accelerometer
    - Measures acceleration of body it is attached to in three-axis. Probably my best bet, but it is expensive and probably not that great in terms of accuracy (which I need a lot of.) Anyone use one of these before? How accurate are they?

How can I measure the change in position?

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    I'm sorry what?
    ... hi
    [IMG]https://i1283.photobucke*****m/albums/a546/MintSica/82d7_zps705242c3.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i1283.photobucke*****m/albums/a546/MintSica/genek_zps5e053d2e.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheles View Post
    I'm sorry what?
    He's asking a forum full of children to do college work. das what.

too hard.
    makes my brain hurt.

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Can't you just find the vector of the x,y distances on the wheels?
    Can't think of anything else...

edit:
    Also are we talking scalar or vector quantity?
    Last edited by Gragodine; 11-24-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    [IMG]https://i1060.photobucke*****m/albums/t452/Gragodine/Untitled.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]https://i1060.photobucke*****m/albums/t452/Gragodine/NuCor.jpg[/IMG]
    .Gragtastic.
    Failed Genius
    [IMG]https://i1060.photobucke*****m/albums/t452/Gragodine/124Member1.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    You won't find a good answer unless someone like Lehsyrus comes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hobbit View Post
    You won't find a good answer unless someone like Lehsyrus comes.
    Use a gps, or a local positioning system?
    .Gragtastic.
    Failed Genius

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Step 1) Don't ask MPGH for help.
    ↓ click me for fortnite challenges↓
    Quote Originally Posted by DnsLeak View Post
    Yes I agree with this guy. Boombox is a most retard shit mpgh staff I ever know. Previously a user open scam report open on me saying that I bitcoin double spent him and this shit Boombox shit talk and agree on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    hahahah boombox is a piece of shit who deserves CS

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    smarty pants.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I'm only in high school and am early in Java with Karel, so I might not be the best @Jetamay, but this would be my guess
    To find the speed of your robot, use the encoder with the finder; the encoder to take the rotations of the wheel, and the finder to calculate distances traveled per rotation or time, etc and use that to find speed
    As for distance traveled, if you're only talking about the range from origin to robot, then just stick the range finder at the middle of the robot and have it check back with the origin
    If you're talking about total distance it has traveled, then use the speed one, calculate the distance in respect to time, and so on
    Calculus :\
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravagant View Post
    The problem is that we're people. People are shitty beings, you just gotta keep that in mind.
    "Science is interesting, and if you don't agree you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Troll nomination. Allah and Muhammad for 1400 years of bullshit.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Ay jer. The answer is 42.

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Ay jer. The answer is 42.
    Why didn't I think of that
    Last edited by Gragodine; 11-24-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    .Gragtastic.
    Failed Genius

I got ants in my butt, and I needs to strut.
    Premium Seller
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Trusted
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Listen Jeta ask an asian.

Thanks
    Reported Denelf for off-topic spam.

The first two are useless, they are good for following a specific pattern. What you need to do is use the range finder and the accelerometer to find the distance traveled. Now, I would use the line follower to simply set out a track to the object who's distance you need to measure.
    If you use the ultra-sonic range finder, you can get te information on the distance to multiple objects. You need to take this data and set it in a way so you can diversify the differen objects. By this I mean your program must be able to take I the information from te range finder, as in the different distances based on the delayed reflection of the sound waves, and map out the distance to these objects separately, which will allow your program to basically create a distance map between itself and each obstacle accordingly. It's like using sonar to map out the bottom of the ocean.

What I said above only counts for going in a straight line.

If you are turning and moving in general, you need to use the optical quad encoder. By measuring the amount a joint has turned, to can set it to update the range finder as to which object is which. Basically, it allows you to rotate the map, whilst still knowing which object is which that it initially measured.

Basically you are relying on the range finder and you're ability to take that raw data and write an algorithm that allows it to map out its surroundings. While turning you need to use the quad encoder to manipulate the range finders data to know where each object it initially measured still is. This will give you a (near) triangulated position of your robot at all times, allowing to to measure the distance.

On the same token, you can use the accelerometer if you are mobo in a straight line to measure your speed, and then the circumference of the wheels. Use the quad encoder to measure the wheel rotation speed rather than joint movement degree.

X = distance covered by one full rotation of the wheels.
    Y = total distance traveled.
    Z = number of rotations by the wheel.

Z=Y(Pi)/X

ACTUALLY nigga you can probably use the line follower and use it on the wheels! Paint the wheels black on the tread and put a small white line on it. Set up the line follower so it's looking at the wheel. Each full rotation of the wheel the line follower will send a command saying t saw the line. Now have it count the amount of times it saw the line and that's the number of rotations. More lines would bring it to a more precise calculation.

I have more ideas but I'd rather give them to you visually.

@Jetamay

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Reported Denelf for off-topic spam.

The first two are useless, they are good for following a specific pattern. What you need to do is use the range finder and the accelerometer to find the distance traveled. Now, I would use the line follower to simply set out a track to the object who's distance you need to measure.
    If you use the ultra-sonic range finder, you can get te information on the distance to multiple objects. You need to take this data and set it in a way so you can diversify the differen objects. By this I mean your program must be able to take I the information from te range finder, as in the different distances based on the delayed reflection of the sound waves, and map out the distance to these objects separately, which will allow your program to basically create a distance map between itself and each obstacle accordingly. It's like using sonar to map out the bottom of the ocean.

What I said above only counts for going in a straight line.

If you are turning and moving in general, you need to use the optical quad encoder. By measuring the amount a joint has turned, to can set it to update the range finder as to which object is which. Basically, it allows you to rotate the map, whilst still knowing which object is which that it initially measured.

Basically you are relying on the range finder and you're ability to take that raw data and write an algorithm that allows it to map out its surroundings. While turning you need to use the quad encoder to manipulate the range finders data to know where each object it initially measured still is. This will give you a (near) triangulated position of your robot at all times, allowing to to measure the distance.

On the same token, you can use the accelerometer if you are mobo in a straight line to measure your speed, and then the circumference of the wheels. Use the quad encoder to measure the wheel rotation speed rather than joint movement degree.

X = distance covered by one full rotation of the wheels.
    Y = total distance traveled.
    Z = number of rotations by the wheel.

Z=Y(Pi)/X

ACTUALLY nigga you can probably use the line follower and use it on the wheels! Paint the wheels black on the tread and put a small white line on it. Set up the line follower so it's looking at the wheel. Each full rotation of the wheel the line follower will send a command saying t saw the line. Now have it count the amount of times it saw the line and that's the number of rotations. More lines would bring it to a more precise calculation.

I have more ideas but I'd rather give them to you visually.

@Jetamay
    cleaver
    But this would only work if its in a room with still objects.
    I'm almost tempted to say its nearly impossible outside of a controlled environment.
    .Gragtastic.
    Failed Genius

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragodine View Post
    cleaver
    But this would only work if its in a room with still objects.
    I'm almost tempted to say its nearly impossible outside of a controlled environment.
    With the materials he's allowed to use he has to be in a controlled environment I had the same project except I had an infrared line measurement thing-a-majig (forget the name) that measured the distance to an object directly in front of it, though my test was in a controlled environment.
    @Jetamay where exactly is this going to go on? I might be able to come up with an algorithm for you if I can get more specifics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast