Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

[Review] PlayStationAllStarsBattleRoyale

Just gonna dive in here.

[Everything Good]
    Graphics: Not entirely great but its still nice that the game doesn't lag at any point due to graphical reasons. There are some nice touches on some levels while others are just completely boring and void of content.
    Gameplay: Its got a basic combo system with a brawl(4 way) attack system. You build meter to use a special to kill someone which is the only way to win a match/get a kill. Unique specials for each given character and 3 ranks of them.
    Sound: The intro was nice, the menu song is ok.
    Online: passable party system for custom games.

[Everything Bad]
    Graphics: Too much content on the screen and little indicator as to who your person is. Also, teams are not automatically color cordinated so you can be on red and wear an entirely blue outfit.
    Gameplay:
    1. Unbalanced. Everything about this game from basic attacks and the special they generate to the specials themselves is completely broken. Certain characters are entirely broken(kratos, drake, raiden) while others get the short end of the stick with harder to hit attacks and hard to use specials. This makes the entire point of the game moot. Why even bother playing as heihachi when his entire playstyle is inferior to kratos? Hell, there are even certain moves in the game which are just stupid. Kratos can use an unblockable-undodgeable attack if they are in the air, ratchet can basically hold his grab which has an extremely long range, some of the heavy characters even have hits which tank light attacks on completion. There is also a bunch of range bullshit and given that building meter and hitting with the special is the only thing that counts, range is almost always the better option.
    2. Stupid items. Most every item is:
    a) Unblockable.
    b) Takes away special
    c) Pretty much breaks any skill in the game for as long as it is in use.
    -Not to mention just stupid items like 15 second freeze(easy kill), invulnerability, paralyze/killl, doll that is unblockable and latches on.

Sound: There is literally 1 song for the entire menu selection. Kill me now. Its unbelievable how much time you spend in the lobby as is without that horrible song. How did the developers not include other songs from the many other series that were put in this game?

Online: Broken beyond repair?
    There is a ranking system, just no point to it. At level one you can and will get paired with the best in the world(from the top 100), and you will constantly be playing with people 10-50 TIMES your rank.
    1. The win-loss ratio per rank is almost completely broken. On the off chance you DO beat the guy at max rank, you get basically the same amount of rank-up as you would if you beat someone your own level..
    2. Coincidentally, you also lose rank for the game disconnecting you.
    Yes, that is right. The game de-ranks you because it failed to load thanks to an error within the game itself.
    -Not talking about internet connection, I'm talking about just basic loading problems within the game.
    3. People can quit with no penalty, not only that, they can quit at any time during the match.
    -The entire online seems to be made by some fucking idiot who never in his life played a fighter.
    ---------------------
    Singleplayer: Basically just like versus mode. Nothing different and there isn't even a final boss really.
    -So the meat of the game, or most of the gameplay hours are online unless you have friends over.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Final rating: 5/10.

Fun split-screen party game with too much focus on being a "serious" fighting game. With the meat of the game online, it shouldn't have this ridiculous amount of just basic connection errors and horrible matchmaking.

This game, if I was being completely fair: Doesn't even beat SuperSmashBros.[64].
    Last edited by Empire; 01-14-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Great review.
    I'm still going to play it none the less.
    MMOVIPER Providing Pixelbots

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by se7enthsin View Post
    Great review.
    I'm still going to play it none the less.
    :/ That really isn't the point of the review.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

:/ That really isn't the point of the review.
    What exactly is the point then, a personal opinion supported by facts? Still makes is a personal opinion.
    Who knows they may fix the errors with patches.
    MMOVIPER Providing Pixelbots

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by se7enthsin View Post
    What exactly is the point then, a personal opinion supported by facts? Still makes is a personal opinion.
    Who knows they may fix the errors with patches.
    -Thats a debate.......

I'm not trying to discourage buyers, as many games are complete trash but still very fun. This is simply my critical review of the game and its cons/pros. You may do well not to post "I'm still going to play it none the less.", because my intention is never to promote(shamelessly as in the case of many game review sites), or to just discourage a buy. In most cases it really boils down to fandom and even certain games which completely destroy the things the fans like can be enjoyed by some random gamer as well.

:/ Just saying, buy it if you want or don't. The point of the reviews is to give you a view of the game and add personal opinions to it. If you needed a description any game hands them out on their page.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

se7enthsin (01-20-2013)

You have enemies? Good, that means you stood up for something.
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I love when bias PS fans try to say that this game is better than SSBB or SSBM, if anything, like you said, it's not even better than the first SSB. xD

Oh well. :P Nice review.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Nice review, but some screen or video?
    0 POST
    100 POST
    200 POST
    300 POST
    400 POST
    500 POST
    600 POST
    700 POST
    800 POST
    900 POST
    1000 POST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by scotbud123 View Post
    I love when bias PS fans try to say that this game is better than SSBB or SSBM, if anything, like you said, it's not even better than the first SSB. xD

Oh well. :P Nice review.
    PS: Allstars doesn't even have the roster to compete. The character list is pretty much shit since half of them are recent or promotional for new games(dante/raiden).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

scotbud123 (03-17-2013)

MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    PS: Allstars doesn't even have the roster to compete. The character list is pretty much shit since half of them are recent or promotional for new games(dante/raiden).
    Yeah, the number of characters in general is small, but on top of that, most of them are lackluster at best. I lost my shit when they announced Fat Princess, I was like, ALRIGHT, f this.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by scotbud123 View Post
    Yeah, the number of characters in general is small, but on top of that, most of them are lackluster at best. I lost my shit when they announced Fat Princess, I was like, ALRIGHT, f this.
    I don't MIND if they put these characters in, but they didn't even put in snake or any of the other things that made playstation big. No final fantasy? No Katamari? No original Devil May Cry? Okami? Shadow of the Collosus? Prince of Persia? Resident Evil, or even GTA? Hell fucking disgea or persona?

You see, nintendo got all this shit down. From the very start they had Mario and Lugi, but they also had pokemon, starfox, kirby, captain falcon, all BIG NAMES in the nintendo world, and then they built on that with each addition.
    ----------------

But, most of all, the game just needed to be fun. PS: Allstars is a lackluster fighter with a horrible mechanic that gets old very quick. If they would have just copied SSB I would have been a lot more satisfied with the game overrall.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

scotbud123 (03-18-2013)

MPGH Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I don't MIND if they put these characters in, but they didn't even put in snake or any of the other things that made playstation big. No final fantasy? No Katamari? No original Devil May Cry? Okami? Shadow of the Collosus? Prince of Persia? Resident Evil, or even GTA? Hell fucking disgea or persona?

You see, nintendo got all this shit down. From the very start they had Mario and Lugi, but they also had pokemon, starfox, kirby, captain falcon, all BIG NAMES in the nintendo world, and then they built on that with each addition.
    ----------------

But, most of all, the game just needed to be fun. PS: Allstars is a lackluster fighter with a horrible mechanic that gets old very quick. If they would have just copied SSB I would have been a lot more satisfied with the game overrall.
    Yeah, I love trolling the kids who white knight PSASBR by saying:

"HA, SSBB had Snake, and PSASBR didn't, ARE YOU MAD?" xD

It's kind of funny to be honest. Plus, SSBB also has Sonic, PSASBR can't even try to compete with the shit they have now.

Thanks
    Trolling is pretty fun
    Thanks OP