Thread: C++ Software

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

C++ Software

Hey been a member for some time never posted so be gentle
    I have been using VC++ 2008 for few years now, and its starting to hang a lot while coding saying not responding then comes good. I mean im only coding for crying out loud not even compiling.. So im wondering what everyone else is using?. If i am to update to newer version like 2010 or 2012 whats the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by Luvhacks; 02-24-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: typo's

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    If Visual Studio 2008 is hanging on your machine, then I don't think you are ready for an upgrade because they will take much more resources than VS 2008. I suggest you upgrade your system or run a virus scan on your PC and see if it gets any better.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    I thought similar: If it used to 'run fast', but doesn't anymore, that doesn't make sense. Unless the entire pc is running slower (ie. too many apps running and not enough free ram/clock cycles).

START->Run->msconfig | click on the "Start-up" tab : will let you remove programs from start-up. Might help a little. msconfig app shows startup items on windows xp (what I'm on), if you're on a newer version, i can almost guarantee there is a similar option for you.
    Last edited by abuckau907; 02-24-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    'Some things that can be counted, don't matter. And some things that matter, can't be counted' - A.E.
    --

My posts have some inaccuracies/are wrong/wrong keyword(s) used.
    They're (maybe) pretty close, and I hope they helped you, not created confusion. Take with grain of salt.

-if you give rep, please leave a comment, else it means less.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    will take a look thanks for tips. Dont think i need an upgrade pc here is my specs anyway could be wrong.

Processor : AMD Phenom(tm) Ultra X4 25500 1.60GHz;
    Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT;
    RAM : 4GB (3.25GB Usable);

It runs almost everything pretty well, will give Virus scan a go see what pops up.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Heh, we have a pretty similar computer except I have Core 2 duo @ 2.4 ghz and 9500GT

When was the last time you formatted? You probably have gigabytes of garbage slowing you down. It might seem extreme, but whenever I get massive slowdowns I reformat.

Or you can start with defragmenting, deleting all files you don't need, use CCleaner to get rid of whatever temporary junk you have, etc.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    its been some time since i formatted, i defrag pretty regularly but havent run any cleaner tho. Dont really have a lot of stuff on my pc except steam a few games vb.net and c++. everything downloaded gets downloaded to 1t hard drive. will have to download and run CCleaner

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    What version are you currently running? Try to turn off the intellisense or increasing the Rescan Solution Interval in advanced options for the C++ text editor.

If you're working on a remote storage device (or a really fragmented slow storage device) then this would also be a possible cause.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    What version are you currently running? Try to turn off the intellisense or increasing the Rescan Solution Interval in advanced options for the C++ text editor.

If you're working on a remote storage device (or a really fragmented slow storage device) then this would also be a possible cause.
    That feature is not available in vc++ 2008. it is available in 2010 which i decided to bite the bullet and install 2010 to see how it ran on my system, and my god its fantastic. Fast smooth and no freezing nor lag. should have made the change a long time ago. intellisense is much more responsive and no delay. problem is solved.
    Also no not running off external hd, i only put everything like picture, movies, music, dead projects and stuff like that on the external hd to not clutter my primary with shit.

Thanks for the input guys appreciate you all trying to help out.

EDIT: Only bad thing no middle mouse button scroll anymore. dang.
    Last edited by Luvhacks; 02-25-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Just a quick tip for those having trouble upgrading to 2010;

If you are receiving the error when building

Code:
    c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\objidl.h(11280): error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out_xcount_part'
    This means you need to include the include folder from the Microsoft SDKs\windows\v7.0a folder to your additional include Directories from the project properties. Make sure it is above the others.

Just thought i would share that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    use microsoft visual basic 2010 express