Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep

Windows 7 vs Windows 8

Hey guys.
    I'm running windows 7 x64 I'm wondering if upgrading to windows 8 is a good or bad idea? I use my pc for gaming so what ever lags less would be good. I would also like to know some pro's and con's between these operating systems.
    Thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Windows 7 64bit hands down. i didnt like Windows 8, alot of gaming doesn't really work as good right now. still afew bugs for gaming as Vista did as well when it first came out. stick to windows 6 for alittle while. save some money and should run better right now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteDagger For This Useful Post:

segerydrth (04-25-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Windows 7* (: yeah I heard alot of bugs :/ I don't buy software.. Torrent files for life $_$

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    i have a laptop with Windows 8, i used it alittle and i about destroyed the laptop! its just so different, and everything is moved or hidden different. most company's aren't upgrading to windows 8 right now, good sign but also not gaming lol

Performance-wise there's not much of a difference. Windows 8 has a slight edge in gaming performance (<5% faster), and there's a chance that once newer drivers are released there will be another small performance gain. In truth, gaming performance is one of the least important aspects of your choice. I would say that Windows 7 is the safe choice; it's a great OS and it operates just like previous Windows. Windows 8 changes quite a few things but it has a faster boot up and is snappier overall in day-to-day tasks, but it will take mods or time to adjust.

Thanks
    Windows 8 is more for touch screen computers.
    I much prefer Windows 7.
    Also like others are saying, Windows 8 has a few bugs.
    Error 404 Signature Not Found

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    My windows 8 laptop ate my windows 7 desktop.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I Upgraded and don't regret it.
    I Have no issues on any games apart from GTA IV and it's just refreshing to not always be looking at the same old screen.
    I Bought start is back anyway so i have the start menu etc on w8.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I heard Windows 8 has problems with skype, but that could be fixed by now.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Windows 7 itīs my choice, my laptop itīs 8 :S

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I currently still have Windows 7. I have used Windows 8 before and it is quite different.
    "It doesn't matter who the people voted for; they always vote for us".

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    I'd say upgrade to w8 just because it is more modern and more is moving to it, and then use De-Suck Windows 8: The Best Windows 8 Start Menu - Start8 vs Start is Back | Tek Syndicate video to "De- suck" it. Hope I helped!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Never Oh Jesuz Never upgrade to Windows 8. Its tErrIBLE

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Its really only terrible to those too stubborn to learn to accept new technology. If you tweak and mess with it using that video I've posted and by doing some other things, it'll really work at well and its far beyond just customizable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kc View Post
    Its really only terrible to those too stubborn to learn to accept new technology. If you tweak and mess with it using that video I've posted and by doing some other things, it'll really work at well and its far beyond just customizable.
    What you dont realize is the stuff thats going on behind just the desktop. Its not just the fact that they moved things, dumbed everything down to a laughable level, and straight up removed features that had no business being removed. Its other things that hold huge implications on not only the current soft/hardware, but future developments too.

Win8 was designed for tablets. Simple as that. It almost seems like the desktop version was an afterthought. The problem is, is that tablets are simply nowhere near at the level PC's are, and have been. Microsoft and other big companies are throwing their chips at this 'mobile pc' world where everyone and their dog owns a tablet pc, and desktops are for plebs or niche workers. The problem is, is that that simply is not happening, and will not happen probably forever. Tablets are the niche market, but Microsoft has not caught on to that, and attempted to be the first ones in with a big OS for mobile PC's with touchscreens and limited capabilities, except as sales and general feedback is heavily implying that is not the case. At all. The entire OS was designed around some kind of hope for a different future of computers, one that has no likely chance of becoming any bigger than it already is. Tablets are great for minor things, but they cant hold a flame to the overall usability and power of an actual PC.

So the point of not getting Win8, and showing disapproval for it, is for the fact that we simply dont have a need, or want for a tablet dominated market. If we just sit back and let it happen, we will be saying we are OK with giving up PC's in favor of dumbed down versions of themselves. Win8 was a step in the wrong direction, and if it isnt set back on the right one, everyone will be shooting themselves in the foot. Win7 works perfectly fine, and there was no real reason to make Win8, except that they felt they wanted something different.

And for the record, unless I specifically intend to, I do not want to have to buy a new product and then be forced to mod and customize it, just so I can have a functioning product. So no. Do not buy Win8. It has its pros, but its cons, and overall point of the entire thing make it seem like Microsoft is making fun of its users, and taking the piss out of them, simply because they can.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartview View Post
    What you dont realize is the stuff thats going on behind just the desktop. Its not just the fact that they moved things, dumbed everything down to a laughable level, and straight up removed features that had no business being removed. Its other things that hold huge implications on not only the current soft/hardware, but future developments too.

Win8 was designed for tablets. Simple as that. It almost seems like the desktop version was an afterthought. The problem is, is that tablets are simply nowhere near at the level PC's are, and have been. Microsoft and other big companies are throwing their chips at this 'mobile pc' world where everyone and their dog owns a tablet pc, and desktops are for plebs or niche workers. The problem is, is that that simply is not happening, and will not happen probably forever. Tablets are the niche market, but Microsoft has not caught on to that, and attempted to be the first ones in with a big OS for mobile PC's with touchscreens and limited capabilities, except as sales and general feedback is heavily implying that is not the case. At all. The entire OS was designed around some kind of hope for a different future of computers, one that has no likely chance of becoming any bigger than it already is. Tablets are great for minor things, but they cant hold a flame to the overall usability and power of an actual PC.

So the point of not getting Win8, and showing disapproval for it, is for the fact that we simply dont have a need, or want for a tablet dominated market. If we just sit back and let it happen, we will be saying we are OK with giving up PC's in favor of dumbed down versions of themselves. Win8 was a step in the wrong direction, and if it isnt set back on the right one, everyone will be shooting themselves in the foot. Win7 works perfectly fine, and there was no real reason to make Win8, except that they felt they wanted something different.

And for the record, unless I specifically intend to, I do not want to have to buy a new product and then be forced to mod and customize it, just so I can have a functioning product. So no. Do not buy Win8. It has its pros, but its cons, and overall point of the entire thing make it seem like Microsoft is making fun of its users, and taking the piss out of them, simply because they can.
    Your whole argument is based off of tablets. Yes this is a very tablet friendly design (w8 is) and yes its hard to get used to in a PC. Microsoft made windows 8 because of the fact that tablets were becoming a large market and they are. While to us PC gamers and editors and what not, they may seem mediocre, they suit real big businesses and their employees just fine. Microsoft is going to invest in making things for businesses; not a bunch of PC gamers who sit on a site called Multiplayer Game Hacks. I'm not dissing MPGH, I'm just backing Microsoft on their decision to put money where the future is, in businesses. Now, for us PC junkies, all you have to do is take matters in to your own hands. Considering we are all part of modding website here, this should be pretty easy. Windows 8 is customizable beyond comprehension. Download Start8, Start is back, or Classic Shell (only this if you don't mind a background program eating a small amount of ram) and wala, the desktop version of W8 works JUST like windows 7. Many programs give you the hide/show desktop thing in the bottom right corner of your screen as well. It is far too easy to make W8 into a W7.5. With all this being said, why not move to W8 to stay on the modern path (because I can assure this is what the world is moving to) and then just de-suck it! It's too simple! With all of THAT being said, I don't have a bias for W8. I'd much rather use W7 but I'd like to stay on the modern path and I think the world should do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast