Thread: Xbox One

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    Strictly speaking, you are purchasing a license to listen to your music or play your games. You aren't allowed to redistribute them in your name (as far as my understanding of the law goes...) There are seperate licenses to redistribution. You can't just open a video game store and start selling another person's work without their permission just because you have the stock.

With digital work like games etc - you can't treat it like a chair. The chair has its product in it's physical nature. With a game, it is the digital content inside of the physical medium (the disk) that is protected - not the disk itself. How changing the medium (physical or via a torrent site) makes a difference I don't see. I don't believe you can transfer that ownership license either, and definitely not duplicate it. The product was licensed to _YOU_, and it was the license that you purchased.

Is that something that would ever be tried in court? Probably not. Never the less.

As for a source, I could try and dig one up - typically this shit hides in the gray area of the law so it might be hard to find a solid answer.
    You're mistaking physical medium for "licenses" and "licenses" for redistribution rights. Prior to this whole thing we were allowed to freely distribute our games or "licenses" after we purchased them (obviously it's a lot harder to sell used digital games on the PSN or Live, so used games typically means physical copy). Whether or not we profited from them was never anyone's concern as long as the game or "license" was paid for at one point and as long as we weren't copying the content which that license granted us (piracy). The nature or content of the product is immaterial, what matters is the agreement made during the transaction along with explicit wording.

Another thing to consider is that Sony and Microsoft don't lease their products and therefore cannot pass their games off as leased items (licenses). If you buy a game outright then that constitutes as a sale and not something that has been licensed. Software developers (and other distributors) have already tried to sue over the sale of supposed licenses and they've failed because quite simply they aren't leasing a product, they're selling it.

Court smacks Autodesk, affirms right to sell used software | Ars Technica

https://www.eff.org/cases/umg-v-augusto

There is a clause in law where it protects buyers from restrictive copyright laws and agreements set by copyright holders. The first-sale doctrine ensures that any customer purchasing a physical item (potentially digital) is within their rights to resell, lend or rent that item out after the first purchase has been made. Unless in the initial transaction it is explicitly stated that it is NOT a sale (ie it is a lease or licensing agreement) then this doctrine applies to all purchases. Even if the developer states that it is a license if they use improper language (if they say buy online now, or purchase item) then the consumer may still be able to resell the product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
    Last edited by Doc; 06-11-2013 at 06:16 AM.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by GAYape View Post

From what i have heard is that you will have to buy ps+ to play online games . either way you will still get more stuff .
    Yea I just heard that now. But still, cheaper than paying what? $90 a year for online play?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    The One and Only...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowkip View Post
    Good boy.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Get the XBOX One they said, it would be good they said.
    "It doesn't matter who the people voted for; they always vote for us".

Thanks
    Fuck Xbox 1 sticking to 360

List of Middleman Impersonations
    Current MPGH Staff
    Report a Scammer here

Crossfire Minion Since: 19 Feb 2013 - 24 Oct 2014
    Minecraft Minion Since: 4 Feb 2014 - 24 Oct 2014
    BattleOn Minion Since: 26 Aug 2014 - 24 Oct 2014
    Donator Since: Mar 12 2014

x x

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftdude View Post

Can you list some things that the PS4 does better than the Xbox One?

Excluding: Play Used Games and Pre-Download shit for you so you don't have to.
    Why exclude it in the first place? That is the main thing why Ps4 is better than xbox one and you know it. Ow and here is a list:

Ps4 is much more powerfull than the xbox one.
    Playstation plus cost LESS than 5$ a month, and you get for that online acces and free games and early acces to games and you can try out released games for free.
    Ps4 looks muchs better than xbox one.
    Ps4 is 100 Euro/dollar cheaper than the xbox one. (AND ITS MORE POWERFULL Than the xbox one)
    You don't need to have that camera plugged in to play.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234