Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Cracking Rez Files (via text editor)

As you know you can open nearly any non executable file in Text Editor....
    While I was perusing the looking for a .rez file editor to change the rez files of Combat Arms. I realized that currently no such RezEditor existed. So the idea hit me to view the code stored in the .rez file via a text editor and just to see if it could be decoded.

Here is a preview of code stored in the CHARS_M_HEAD.rez:
    Code:
    CW_HLMT_HV_DF_CHLOE_JS      Në ,M ÒÛ^J    BTL     CAP      &V @)  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_CP_NM_PATRIOTCAP1_HM      ºp
     •£  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CM_CP_NM_PATRIOTCAP1_HM      ‚ Äi  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_CAP      (È ¹§  ÒÛ^J    BTL     DUMMY      S ŠÖ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BERET      O µ0  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_HLMT_NM_SANTABEANIE_HM      Y ÍM  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_CP_NM_DF_SOPHIAHAIR_HM      žÛ
     »,  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_CP_NM_DF_DAWSONHAIR_JS      ¤Æ øª  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CM_HLMT_NM_SANTABEANIE_HM      b› ¥·  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BEANIE      d 5;  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_DUMMY      à 6m  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_BERET      |ñ æ©  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BANDANA      ì   ¨¬  ÒÛ^J    BTL     711_CAP      lÜ W=  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_BEANIE      ’a ~6  ÒÛ^J    BTL     MEI_HAIR      *Ý 	p  ÒÛ^J    BTL     HAIR_W_A      %Ï% ¬¬  ÒÛ^J    BTL     ZADAN_CAP      l% ¹¸  ÒÛ^J    BTL     XMAS_HORN      øž t=  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_BANDANA      Ë^ -@  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_711_CAP      áo ýî  ÒÛ^J    BTL     EOD_HELMET      Ü Æ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BOONIE_HAT      ŒÌ$ àI  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_XMAS_HORN      ‚n Ið  ÒÛ^J    BTL     VBSS_HELMET      œÓ §½  ÒÛ^J    BTL     RUDOLPH_SET      ™U íÙ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_EOD_HELMET      Û ‰Y  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_BOONIE_HAT      C‘ ?Ý  ÒÛ^J    BTL     SKULL_HELMET      Ëü ÑÖ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     PUMPKIN_HEAD      ˜ çë  ÒÛ^J    BTL     PILOT_HELMET      3M _ ÒÛ^J    BTL     IBH_MK2_SEAL      ÒH$ ºƒ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_VBSS_HELMET      Þ^ L~ ÒÛ^J    BTL     GOGGLE_HELMET      q ·Ã  ÒÛ^J    BTL     DECKLAND_HAIR      .Ò p	 ÒÛ^J    BTL     COMBAT_HELMET      ü×# Öp  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_SKULL_HELMET      t# øc  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_PUMPKIN_HEAD      üÎ! âÖ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_PILOT_HELMET      $å  Øé  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_IBH_MK2_SEAL      ÷ƒ Ôx ÒÛ^J    BTL     PROTECT_HELMET      †/  žµ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_GOGGLE_HELMET      Fu ¥  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_COMBAT_HELMET      ‘) Kò  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BONEHEAD_HELMET      Þ¥" &Î  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_PROTECT_HELMET      W! %Ð  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BALACLAVA_FACE_D      ’N ÅÒ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BALACLAVA_FACE_C      )} iÑ  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BALACLAVA_FACE_B      ”*  •Ï  ÒÛ^J    BTL     BALACLAVA_FACE_A      ù† â…  ÒÛ^J    BTL     W_BONEHEAD_HELMET      f  8  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_CP_NM_ROKMC_HM      O U²  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CM_CP_NM_ROKMC_HM      ¹ ¸„  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CW_HLMT_SHEMAGH_HM      œq ’`  ÒÛ^J    BTL     CM_HLMT_SHEMAGH_HM      Þá p	 ÒÛ^J    BTL     BULLETPROOF_HELMET
    Pretty Crazy right? Its completly illegible, but if you look closely yo can see words like "helmet", "shemagh", "pilot helmet", "pumpkinhead", etc. (including some items that havent been released yet ;P)

Essentially the Lithtech Engine reads these files and creates 3D models, textures, sounds etc. according to what is written. By editing these files you can make your gameplay experience really easy or really hard or just flat out fk up the game xD...

I want this to be a collective community project to play with an decode the .rez file via text editor. Im going to try my hand at it. see what you can do. Switch your regular face with the "bulletproof helmet", switch with your own hair "mei's_hair", be creative, and have fun.

Intructions:
    1. Just open up your .rez file in a Text Editor (NOT a word processor)
    2. Make sure you dont overwrite the original .rez file. That could cause serious problems and you might have to completly reinstall Combat Arms
    3. Be very CAREFUL when messing with rare code. Make sure you save plenty of copies of the originals.
    4. IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS IS DONT MESS WITH IT.

I hope we create a simi-code for reading the .rez files. Note that this is all client-sided, meaning if you change your regular hat to look like a shemagh no one will know the difference. The added bonus of a rez file hack is that it is completely unpatchable, and therefore undetectable by HackSheild so you can use these hacks with a high level accounts with out fear of detection.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

bunker34 (09-13-2009),dddrrr (07-03-2010),federico2 (12-11-2009),headsup (08-21-2009),jasonlucky2 (08-23-2009),likes2game (11-11-2009),madbullet (09-13-2009),thechipmyster (11-09-2009),timmayhacker (08-24-2009),whitten (08-06-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    i dont get it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Nice, hopefully it works.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Me too but I don't think it'll work if it does make yourself a zombie would be awesome.

"I dream of a world where people are not judged by their post count but by their content of character." Me
    "Ask not what MPGH can do for you, But what you can do for your MPGH!"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Aha yeah that would be pretty awesome, post your results if you get it working.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    No its different.

"I dream of a world where people are not judged by their post count but by their content of character." Me
    "Ask not what MPGH can do for you, But what you can do for your MPGH!"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by weaselm01 View Post
    Ummm no :L.... Your referring to res not rez. Res is short for resource which refers to resource files used by Win32 executables (aka. dll, cpl, etc.). I am talking about .rez files which are the type of files LithEngine (which is the game engine for Combat Arms) runs. These files are produced in 3D modeling programs and then saved in text commands to be run by the Engine previously mentioned.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    LAWLZ...Sowwie just saw rez and figured

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    omg so if i change black cap into a bandana , do i get the +5 speed too ? , or just a black cap which looks for me as a bandana ? O.o
    PRESS THANKS IF I HELPED YOU
    called lagger while he was lagging []
    called hacker without hacking []
    called hacker with glitching []
    called hacker with hacks []
    release a tut [video] []
    release a hack []
    100 posts []
    150 posts []
    200 posts []
    300 posts []
    500 posts []
    1000 posts [x]
    100 Thanks []
    150 Thanks []
    200 Thanks [x]
    300 Thanks [x]
    500 Thanks [x]
    play Hello Kitty online []

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rapid x For This Useful Post:

lol (03-11-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    lol np, thx for moving thread, wasnt sure where it went.

Anyway Ive noticed some of these files are really big. If you try to open the CHAR_SND.rez file in notepad it will look like your computer has crashed for a second lol xD. It takes a long time to assign characters to everything written in the code. Also CHAR_SND stands for Character Sound file. Im not sure why you would want to mess with that unless you want to say sound like a girl instead of a boy in-game o_O?

Anywho these files are originaly stored in byte code. So there is a Hexadecimal representation for all the characters seen int the notepad. The files are actually very small, but diplyaing a sprite for every hexadecimal digit eats up memory which is why it takes so long to load. It would be nice if someone could develop a program that can read the data in the files in its original hex format (to save time) and assign the Readable Code in its place. I might try to do this it would make it a lot easier, but first I would need to find a Lithcode compiler and reverse engineer it to decompile. Or if I could find an API for the 3D modeling code Doobic Studios (the developer Nexon sources the game to) uses in their 3D modeling software. then I could directly translate the code into a human readable format.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid x View Post
    omg so if i change black cap into a bandana , do i get the +5 speed too ? , or just a black cap which looks for me as a bandana ? O.o
    If you switch the code for black cap with the code for bandanna all the available attributes of bandanna should be transferred over to black cap.

Im a little confused right now. There is a lot of meaningless 3Dmodeling code in there. What we need to find is the attributes for certain functions such as "hat speed increase" or "jump height" The attributes for these functions are stored in the .rez files and changing the files could allow you to superjump or whatever These hacks would be completly unpatchable and permanent.

Sorry for dbl post
    Last edited by why06; 08-04-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Double post apology

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Why not just use WinRez and mod your game?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    OMG :O
    why didn't I think of that.... oh yeh I already did. If you care to read the post on the previous page you will notice that weasel suggested the same thing. Winrez is for Win32 files not Lithtech Resource files. >_>

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    You try Visual Studios?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast