Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    So my parents sort of agreed but my dad is being kinda ignorant and he's thinking I should buy a computer in store. I know for a fact that generic store brands fucking take shittier components and slap there logo on it for overpriced retail and that store brands like Hp and dell aren't oc-able but what are the other perks I can explain to him. How is buying computer components online and building it yourself more beneficial than buying from a store irl.

Online ore assembled / separate components (and ofc building it yourself) VS buying a pre assembled generic store brand computer.
    1. Buying online is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, we're talking about 50% markup at least for pre-built systems.

2. Buying parts separately means you have better warranty over all, each individual part will have it's own 1 year, 2 year, 3 year or even lifetime warranty that will be honored no matter what. Buying in-store will have a holistic manufacturing warranty and is less likely to honor anything more than a factory fault.

3. Individual parts also come with extra spare pieces like screws, SATA cables, molex connectors, adapters, hell most GFX cards come with a free game.

4. You gain priceless experience in building a PC. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, nor is it a dangerous process. As long as you build it on a flat hard surface and ground yourself on a solid bit of metal, nothing bad will happen.

5. If you want to upgrade a single component in the future or you want to do some hardware troubleshooting you are free to do so without voiding any warranty. Good look doing that on a pre-built system. If they find out you so much as disconnected a molex connector they'll void the warranty.

6. You have complete control over the quality of components you put in. With pre-built instore systems you have no control over the brand of HDD, the brand of SSD, the make of the Graphics card (sure you can pick AMD or nVidia, but will you get a cheaper Palit or Sparkle card or will you get a reliable EVGA?).

7. Most pre-built instore PC's use non-standard cases and layouts. These can be a nightmare for customization and horrendous for proper cooling. And they usually accumulate dust a lot faster than a standard cases.

8. The fucking PRICE. I've already said it but comparing prices alone makes it a no brainer. I could have built my computer almost 3 times over with the money required to buy an Alienware or HP equivalent (my PC was around $1500, the Alienware equivalent was $4100).
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jwgering (07-21-2013),crex (07-21-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing
    Gigabyte GA-Z77-HD3 ATX LGA1155
    Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Linksys WMP600N 802.11a/b/g/n PCI
    Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower
    Corsair 600W ATX12V
    LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full (64-bit)

That is my $907 build and the only thing that might possibly need updating/upgrading is the CPU Cooler.

Good luck.
    Last edited by jwgering; 07-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwgering For This Useful Post:

crex (07-21-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

1. Buying online is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, we're talking about 50% markup at least for pre-built systems.

2. Buying parts separately means you have better warranty over all, each individual part will have it's own 1 year, 2 year, 3 year or even lifetime warranty that will be honored no matter what. Buying in-store will have a holistic manufacturing warranty and is less likely to honor anything more than a factory fault.

3. Individual parts also come with extra spare pieces like screws, SATA cables, molex connectors, adapters, hell most GFX cards come with a free game.

4. You gain priceless experience in building a PC. It's not as hard as people make it out to be, nor is it a dangerous process. As long as you build it on a flat hard surface and ground yourself on a solid bit of metal, nothing bad will happen.

5. If you want to upgrade a single component in the future or you want to do some hardware troubleshooting you are free to do so without voiding any warranty. Good look doing that on a pre-built system. If they find out you so much as disconnected a molex connector they'll void the warranty.

6. You have complete control over the quality of components you put in. With pre-built instore systems you have no control over the brand of HDD, the brand of SSD, the make of the Graphics card (sure you can pick AMD or nVidia, but will you get a cheaper Palit or Sparkle card or will you get a reliable EVGA?).

7. Most pre-built instore PC's use non-standard cases and layouts. These can be a nightmare for customization and horrendous for proper cooling. And they usually accumulate dust a lot faster than a standard cases.

8. The fucking PRICE. I've already said it but comparing prices alone makes it a no brainer. I could have built my computer almost 3 times over with the money required to buy an Alienware or HP equivalent (my PC was around $1500, the Alienware equivalent was $4100).
    O thank you very much.

Thanks
    Alright so I'm almost positive I'm going with your build @Doc . I should be buying the parts soon.
    But I need a little more help. I started thinking about other external hardware. I have a 24 inch TV right now and I'm not sure what kind of cable I should get to connect to the build that you gave me. This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Sansui-Signatu.../dp/B004BOKBNM

Oh yeah and I also kinda need help for a keyboard and mouse. I honestly have no idea about that stuff.
    Last edited by Woods; 07-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Alright so I'm almost positive I'm going with your build @Doc . I should be buying the parts soon.
    But I need a little more help. I started thinking about other external hardware. I have a 24 inch TV right now and I'm not sure what kind of cable I should get to connect to the build that you gave me. This is what I have: Amazon.com : Sansui Signature SLED2480 24-Inch 1080p LED-LCD HDTV Black : Electronics

Oh yeah and I also kinda need help for a keyboard and mouse. I honestly have no idea about that stuff.
    You can just use a HDMI cable for the monitor. You can get order one from monoprice for really cheap.

As for keyboard and mouse, it's mostly personal preference there. I mean I like mechanical keyboards, other people like low profile keyboards. I like simple mice like the Deathadder or the Sensei, other people like crazier mice like the R.A.T. Its up to you really.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

crex (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Keyboard: Sidewinder X4
    Mouse: Logitech G500 or CM Storm Recon.

Great Peripherals!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwgering For This Useful Post:

crex (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    These are some cheap ones I found that look decent for it's cheap price. I can't go that high price wise on this because I don't want to push what my parents already said yes to.
    Amazon.com: Sharkoon Tactix Gaming Keyboard (000SKTK): Computers & Accessories

or

Amazon.com : E-3lue E-Blue PLEDGE USB Wired Keyboard : Keyboard Mouse Sets : Electronics

and

Amazon.com: E-3lue Cobra Type-M EMS131BK igh Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi: Electronics

Feedback?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    These are some cheap ones I found that look decent for it's cheap price. I can't go that high price wise on this because I don't want to push what my parents already said yes to.
    Amazon.com: Sharkoon Tactix Gaming Keyboard (000SKTK): Computers & Accessories

or

Amazon.com : E-3lue E-Blue PLEDGE USB Wired Keyboard : Keyboard Mouse Sets : Electronics

and

Amazon.com: E-3lue Cobra Type-M EMS131BK igh Precision Gaming Mouse with Side Control 1600dpi: Electronics

Feedback?
    Ehhh don't even bother with gaming shit at that price. It's bound to be shit quality and they just use leds and colours to make it look "game-y" without having any useful features.. Just go for something nice looking.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

crex (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Look into the ones I suggested. I personally own the X4 and Recon and they're awesome. In reference to what Doc said: yes, they do have LED's, but, no they are not cheap "game-y" products. Plenty of gamers would recommend these products, and I think they're worth a shot.

Once again, I apologize to Doc for "undermining" his post, but he sort of undermined mine by criticizing gaming products with the "game-y" feel.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jwgering For This Useful Post:

crex (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    @Doc

I ordered the GPU and Heat Sink today!
    Persuaded my parents because GPU's sale is gone today so I got it before it was gone. Good ass deal for high power. Can't wait.
    Got heat sink cuz might as well since I'm at it. Sale ends in 2 / 3 days as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to crex For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Doc (07-22-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    While you're at it, get a nice pair of gaming headphones (if you're into that stuff). I currently use the G930s for gaming.

Amazon is selling them for $105.00
    Amazon.com : Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound : Computer Headsets : Electronics

These headphones are phenomenal when it comes to listening in to your enemies' footsteps as well your favorite band/artist. I bought mine for around $135 a while in back in 2011, but they've held up great! Highly recommend!

P.S. Don't forget to buy a decent sound card if the one in your motherboard doesn't suit you.

GL;HF with your PC build.
    Last edited by JVBD; 07-22-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by JVBD View Post
    While you're at it, get a nice pair of gaming headphones (if you're into that stuff). I currently use the G930s for gaming.

Amazon is selling them for $105.00
    Amazon.com : Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound : Computer Headsets : Electronics

These headphones are phenomenal when it comes to listening in to your enemies' footsteps as well your favorite band/artist. I bought mine for around $135 a while in back in 2011, but they've held up great! Highly recommend!

P.S. Don't forget to buy a decent sound card if the one in your motherboard doesn't suit you.

GL;HF with your PC build.
    Or you could buy actual headphones that don't rely on a placebo effect and actually sound good.

Amazon.com : Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones : Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable: Musical Instruments

Then buy a desktop mic or a Modmic and end up with an awesome setup that will be 10x better than any "gaming" headset.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Aborted (07-23-2013),crex (07-23-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Or you could buy actual headphones that don't rely on a placebo effect and actually sound good.

Amazon.com : Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones : Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable: Musical Instruments

Then buy a desktop mic or a Modmic and end up with an awesome setup that will be 10x better than any "gaming" headset.
    No more revenue that's gonna be left over to buy these.
    The V-MODA looks nice though, I'd buy i if I had money.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Get the 760 instead it's about same price or the 7950 for 270$

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The amazing View Post
    Get the 760 instead it's about same price or the 7950 for 270$
    It was on sale. I got it for 180$. So this was more worth the buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast