Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    tadas5552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Amazed

    Question How to start programming?

    Hey guys,

    I always wanted to create something, something peaple would like/love.
    Anything like hacks, games, utilities.

    I have done alot of research, but no success.

    So, my question is... How to start programming & what programming language is the best to start with?

  2. #2
    'Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,883
    Reputation
    290
    Thanks
    1,035
    My Mood
    Busy
    Best way in my honest opinion would be to grab a decent book (even from the local library) and start reading it, paying attention to the examples and doing the exercises at the end of each chapter. Some people might tell you to start with online tutorials or youtube videos.

    Decent online tutorials might work, but those tend to not teach about the "little" things (that in the start might be a bit confusing but in the end you understand much more how everything works and is put together).

    Youtube videos, in my serious honest opinion, suck. And why is that? Well, you are pretty much copying what someone already did and not really learning and thinking by yourself. Neither applying your own logic, which is one of the most important thing in programming. That can only be achieved by practicing your mind.

    About the programming language... It depends, because no matter what language you start with, if you learn it the correct way and your actually logic improves, there is no issue between languages other than learning the syntax (the "codes").

    Around the forum people will give different examples with what they started with. (Let's be honest here, most of those that started with Visual Basic or C#, creating Forms (windows) and clicking on a "button" to generate code automatically, DO NOT know how to program, and their logic is trashy... Yet they think that they know how to program for some reason..) There is exceptions tho.. obviously.

    There is nothing wrong about starting with C# or VB. As long as you start programming on a console (for example) where you actually have to create loops, ifs, functions, etc..etc..etc (all the basics).

    Honestly, I started with C (raw), was harder, the results visually were trashy, but now picking up any programming language seems easy and can be done quickly. But that was my choice, and does not have to be your choice.

    Good luck and let us know what you think and what you are going to do.

    PS: Sorry about the long post and not so perfect english
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 'Bruno For This Useful Post:

    tadas5552 (08-21-2013)

  4. #3
    tadas5552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Bruno View Post
    Best way in my honest opinion would be to grab a decent book (even from the local library) and start reading it, paying attention to the examples and doing the exercises at the end of each chapter. Some people might tell you to start with online tutorials or youtube videos.

    Decent online tutorials might work, but those tend to not teach about the "little" things (that in the start might be a bit confusing but in the end you understand much more how everything works and is put together).

    Youtube videos, in my serious honest opinion, suck. And why is that? Well, you are pretty much copying what someone already did and not really learning and thinking by yourself. Neither applying your own logic, which is one of the most important thing in programming. That can only be achieved by practicing your mind.

    About the programming language... It depends, because no matter what language you start with, if you learn it the correct way and your actually logic improves, there is no issue between languages other than learning the syntax (the "codes").

    Around the forum people will give different examples with what they started with. (Let's be honest here, most of those that started with Visual Basic or C#, creating Forms (windows) and clicking on a "button" to generate code automatically, DO NOT know how to program, and their logic is trashy... Yet they think that they know how to program for some reason..) There is exceptions tho.. obviously.

    There is nothing wrong about starting with C# or VB. As long as you start programming on a console (for example) where you actually have to create loops, ifs, functions, etc..etc..etc (all the basics).

    Honestly, I started with C (raw), was harder, the results visually were trashy, but now picking up any programming language seems easy and can be done quickly. But that was my choice, and does not have to be your choice.

    Good luck and let us know what you think and what you are going to do.

    PS: Sorry about the long post and not so perfect english
    Thank you for you're post, really detailed and straight to the point.
    This week, im gonna go grab a book from my local library ( just like what you stated ).
    I have to agree the videos i watched on youtube are kinda rubish, just because of the lack of creativity.
    I'm going to do my best & not copy other peaple.
    Joined MPGH: 03-09-2013

  5. #4
    tadas5552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    32
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    1
    My Mood
    Amazed
    buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!
    Joined MPGH: 03-09-2013

  6. #5
    coca12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    108
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    266
    -Download&Pirate Microsoft Visual Studio
    -Read online tutorials
    And that's it, after you will learn basic of C++, learn DirectX(For esp,chams, and shit), and little WinApi.
    After this you are ready to make cheats and stuff.

  7. #6
    kalekip1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    519
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    315
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by coca12345 View Post
    -Download&Pirate Microsoft Visual Studio
    -Read online tutorials
    And that's it, after you will learn basic of C++, learn DirectX(For esp,chams, and shit), and little WinApi.
    After this you are ready to make cheats and stuff.
    Stop promoting piracy, you fool. @tadas5552 MS Visual Studio Express is free. I suggest you to download 2010, because the new windows 8 theme sucks. You can't program in it without getting distracted.

    @'Bruno I didn't read your full post because of the font. My eyes can't handle those weird fonts. What's wrong with the default?
    Back to topic: that's nonsense. If you think Youtube video's are crap, then you haven't seen TheNewBoston's and PHPAcademy's tutorials. They are top notch.

    TheNewBoston (newbies, beginners and intermediates)
    - Web Development
    --- PHP
    --- JavaScript
    ------ jQuery
    --- HTML(5)
    --- CSS(3)
    --- AJAX
    - Application Development
    --- Objective C
    --- C++
    --- C#
    --- Java (not to confuse with JavaScript!)
    ------ Android Development
    --- Python
    --- Visual Basic
    - Game Development
    --- Unreal Development
    --- Android Development (with Java)
    --- iPhone Development

    And lots of more.
    See: thenewboston - YouTube


    PHPAcadamy (newbies, beginners and intermediates)
    - PHP
    - HTML(5)
    - CSS(3)
    - Java

    See: phpacademy - YouTube


    Eteeski Tutorials (beginners)
    - Game Development (UnityScript: Unity + JavaScript)

    See: MAKE VIDEO GAMES! - YouTube
    Last edited by kalekip1; 08-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.


  8. #7
    'Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,883
    Reputation
    290
    Thanks
    1,035
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by kalekip1 View Post
    Stop promoting piracy, you fool. @tadas5552 MS Visual Studio Express is free. I suggest you to download 2010, because the new windows 8 theme sucks. You can't program in it without getting distracted.

    @'Bruno I didn't read your full post because of the font. My eyes can't handle those weird fonts. What's wrong with the default?
    Back to topic: that's nonsense. If you think Youtube video's are crap, then you haven't seen TheNewBoston's and PHPAcademy's tutorials. They are top notch.

    TheNewBoston (newbies, beginners and intermediates)
    - Web Development
    --- PHP
    --- JavaScript
    ------ jQuery
    --- HTML(5)
    --- CSS(3)
    --- AJAX
    - Application Development
    --- Objective C
    --- C++
    --- C#
    --- Java (not to confuse with JavaScript!)
    ------ Android Development
    --- Python
    --- Visual Basic
    - Game Development
    --- Unreal Development
    --- Android Development (with Java)
    --- iPhone Development

    And lots of more.
    See: thenewboston - YouTube


    PHPAcadamy (newbies, beginners and intermediates)
    - PHP
    - HTML(5)
    - CSS(3)
    - Java

    See: phpacademy - YouTube


    Eteeski Tutorials (beginners)
    - Game Development (UnityScript: Unity + JavaScript)

    See: MAKE VIDEO GAMES! - YouTube
    And since when is Courier New a weird font? When it is used in loads of places, including those old type-writers? There is something wrong on your side then (Or a bug from the forums from these recent updates).

    Font Families
    Designed as a typewriter face for IBM, Courier was re drawn by Adrian Frutiger for IBM Selectric series. A typical fixed pitch design, monotone in weight and slab serif in concept. Used to emulate typewriter output for reports, tabular work and technical documentation.
    And... if you do not share the same opinion it does not mean that all other people opinions are "non sense". But that would be something expected from someone who prefer a you-tube video over a book.
    Last edited by 'Bruno; 08-28-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

  9. #8
    kalekip1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    519
    Reputation
    22
    Thanks
    315
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Bruno View Post
    if you do not share the same opinion it does not mean that all other people opinions are "non sense". But that would be something expected from someone who prefer a you-tube video over a book.
    Yes, I do prefer a video over a book, but nobody cares. Nor do I. What my point was is that it IS nonsense that video's can't be as good as books. If you have seen TheNewBoston's video's, then you'll be convinced that it has, and can be in depth. Honestly, compared to Bucky's (TheNewBoston) tutorials, are books hard to understand. As well as for non-native speakers as native speakers.
    Last edited by kalekip1; 08-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.


  10. #9
    'Bruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,883
    Reputation
    290
    Thanks
    1,035
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by kalekip1 View Post
    Yes, I do prefer a video over a book, but nobody cares. Nor do I. What my point was is that it IS nonsense that video's can't be as good as books. If you have seen TheNewBoston's video's, then you'll be convinced that it has, and can be in depth. Honestly, compared to Bucky's (TheNewBoston) tutorials, are books hard to understand. As well as for non-native speakers as native speakers.
    It's your opinion. Is it nonsense? Sure... My TL;DR version is up there already.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

  11. #10
    Konoru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    31
    Reputation
    10
    Thanks
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by kalekip1 View Post
    Yes, I do prefer a video over a book, but nobody cares. Nor do I. What my point was is that it IS nonsense that video's can't be as good as books. If you have seen TheNewBoston's video's, then you'll be convinced that it has, and can be in depth. Honestly, compared to Bucky's (TheNewBoston) tutorials, are books hard to understand. As well as for non-native speakers as native speakers.
    The new boston gets trashed by veterans, heard it is horrible I feel sorry for you.

Similar Threads

  1. [Help Request] How to start making hacks? Basics/Programs etc.(Euro Farmer)
    By RageQQuit in forum Alliance of Valiant Arms (AVA) Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM
  2. [Request] I would like to learn how to start making my own programs (Will pay)
    By horbarn in forum Programming Tools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
  3. [Help]How to start another program?[Solved]
    By Web-Designer in forum Visual Basic Programming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
  4. How to start hack
    By Stormwalker13 in forum Combat Arms Europe Hacks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
  5. How to start using your agbot!
    By poon hacker in forum Silkroad Online Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Tags for this Thread