Thread: News Team

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Fuck Everyone, I will be the new Head Editor! UAHEUAHEAUHEAUE

Closed, too much spam and flaming here!
    Last edited by BACKD00R; 08-24-2013 at 08:56 AM.

• Contributor: October, 31th 2011
    • CA BR Minion: January, 03th 2012
    • CF AL Minion: April, 07th 2012
    • CA Minion: April, 15th 2012
    • CF Minion: July, 03th 2012
    • PB Minion: January, 25th 2013
    • AVA Minion : February, 02th 2013
    • Arctic Combat minion: April, 03th 2013
    • Warface Minion: April, 03th 2013

• Minion + : July 08th 2012
    • Moderator : January 21th 2013
    • Global Moderator : August 1st 2013

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BACKD00R For This Useful Post:

Color (08-24-2013),Flengo_Backup (08-24-2013),Gio (08-24-2013),Hack in the box (08-24-2013),[MPGH]Hennessy (08-24-2013),[MPGH]Hugo Boss (08-24-2013),Lightning (08-24-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    testing 123

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Hack in the box (08-24-2013),[MPGH]KING (08-25-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I'm going to clear some stuff up, and some people are going to get butt hurt but I don't give a fuck. This shit is plain stupid.1. The news team should probably be disbanded (4 articles in 3 months)2. This bullshit about the news team flaming anyone who asks where this weeks article is or criticizing their lack of consistency is bullshit. They should be flattered that someone is looking forward and care enough to ask for it. How would my game work out if I attacked anyone that questioned why my patch isn't out that I said would be out two days ago? I know where their anger comes from to a certain extent (I'm actually working my ass off to finish a patch, delays happen, though not miss three weeks in a row), but it's 100% the wrong answer.3. We already know austin and psy are rage babies. Expecting them to act decent is highly unlikely. They have angerish-ego (they don't like to be criticized) issues, and I'm 100% sure about that because I have/had the same problem, though I learned to control it (raged 2x in a year, once at austin for shit talking and once at royce for lying to my face multiple times and getting caught). It's best just to avoid it all together, it's a complete waste of time and makes absolutely no difference. < (What I learned, now I really don't give a fuck what people think or say, unless they just happen to want to make a repeated issue out of it)4. The members on this forum run under an unofficial seniority rank. They were talked down when they joined, and they talk down to new members when they join. We've controlled this somewhat with flame rules, but it still exists to a certain extent. Seniority plays no rank on MPGH.5. This news crap being hard work is bullshit, I could post the entire news article in a hour. I'll break down the sections:- Headlines: not hard to create, big news makes headlines, and if you're active at all on MPGH you should see it easily. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.- User News: Probably the hardest section, takes a little bit of work. The user news subsection takes the most work to find. Postbans are easy to find, especially when they don't get them all. Birthdays: Kinda dumb, it's only apply to a few people in general. Demotions: a bit work to find- Interviews: Not necessarily hard, been interviewed a couple times, takes 5 minutes to interview someone if you go with the flow, formatting takes another 5 minutes.- Global news / Gaming News / Tech News - looks like three articles per section, each plagarized off another website. Ok first of all this is illegal, if you copy someone's text or images you have to cite your source. And it's grabbed from some popular website, takes about 30 minutes to do.Now this is done with a staff of 5-6 people. If you can't find someone competent enough to turn it in before a deadline, then you better be ready to write it yourself.6. Any momentum they build up by releasing on schedule goes completely out the door when they stop posting and flaming their continued readers who come back next week to find nothing. People move on and forget, if they want the motivation to come out of it, they have to keep the ball rolling at all costs. There's no easy slice of pie in this world, and if there is, it's already long claimed by someone else.Now you got to understand their side.1. I understand why they're completely unmotivated, their articles only get 30 responses or so. You can create the most stupid thread in general and get more replies. If their motivation doesn't come from there, it has to come from somewhere else.2. If they don't got the motivation for a weekly thread, I suggest a monthly or bi-monthly thread, but with higher quality and standards.3. They have been doing it for a while, though inconsistently, and are pretty much where they started. They're probably tired of it. (But it's basically their own fault)In the end, I'd have to side with the critics, if say you're going to do something, do it. And if you can't muster up the energy to do it, step down and let someone who wants to do it do it. Don't beat around the bush and make excuses and flame people. If it was up to me, I'd disband the team, it's a complete headache and all the rage fests this shit turns into every thread about the news team not doing what they said they would do, it's simply not worth the time or headache. But it's not my trigger to pull.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

Gah, stupid formatting and MPGH errors: I'm going to clear some stuff up, and some people are going to get butt hurt but - Pastebin.com

I'll reopen this thread, and if you guys can't discuss this in a civilized manner, I'll start banning and will reclose this thread.
    Last edited by arunforce; 08-24-2013 at 12:32 PM.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Distraught (08-24-2013),[MPGH]Flengo (08-24-2013),Genesis (08-25-2013),Gio (08-24-2013),Hack in the box (08-24-2013),[MPGH]Hugo Boss (08-24-2013),[MPGH]Liz (08-25-2013),oenigmaa (08-24-2013),Oneirish (08-24-2013),Youtro (08-25-2013)

Thanks
    I almost went blind looking at the wall of text above me.
    Anyhow, I don't believe they should get to be part of the group unless they can maintain a consistent news article.
    I don't believe it would be hard to replace the members of the team that hold it back.
    Last edited by Pathogenic; 08-24-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Being an ass 95% of the time.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Don't disbanded them , give them another chance .

I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being. -Wilde

Donator Since: 14 January 2014
    Editor Since: 10 August 2013
    Manager Since: 27 September 2013
    Middleman Since: 31 January 2014
    BattleOn Minion Since: 13 August 2013
    Dragon Nest Minion Since: 12 September 2013
    Minecraft Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Social Games Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Realm Of The Mad God Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion Since: Don't Remember
    Pharaoh #5: 2 January 2014
    Former Staff Since: 5 February 2015

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    testing 123
    I hope what me and distraught were saying was not anything out of spite, it was just concerns and ideas which were shot down with rage and flaming. I hope to see the news team back up and running since because it is nice to have an updated on the main page every week. Maybe it gets 30 replies but there's alot of people who read it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    I think they should choose people who are known for getting work in on time.

Like previous editors, (that weren't removed but left).

People that know not to plagiarize, and get stuff done quickly.

also, i agree arun.

I could create and finish a whole section for the CA wiki in a day....(and i have)

one topic of news, (just rewriting something that's already happened)

not that hard...

Last edited by Hennessy; 08-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    1. The news team should probably be disbanded (4 articles in 3 months)
    That's a little overboard. We've all just been busy. News will get back on track once we get new writers.
    2. This bullshit about the news team flaming anyone who asks where this weeks article is or criticizing their lack of consistency is bullshit. They should be flattered that someone is looking forward and care enough to ask for it. How would my game work out if I attacked anyone that questioned why my patch isn't out that I said would be out two days ago? I know where their anger comes from to a certain extent (I'm actually working my ass off to finish a patch, delays happen, though not miss three weeks in a row), but it's 100% the wrong answer.
    Nobody's raging 'cept for autin and psy (See #3). I understand everyone's curiosity as to why it isn't up, what we're doing, etc. and it makes me upset we can't -erm, won't bring the news. We're making a new edition next week, and it'll be weekly (no monthly bs).
    3. blahblahblah
    That's psy and autin. Just because they're the "leaders" don't mean they represent us (though most people think that anyway), though I appreciate you not including us on that part. This isn't really a news team problem, though.
    4. The members on this forum run under an unofficial seniority rank. They were talked down when they joined, and they talk down to new members when they join. We've controlled this somewhat with flame rules, but it still exists to a certain extent. Seniority plays no rank on MPGH.
    I try not to be an asshole to new people, and I'm usually not. Again, not a news team problem.
    5. This news crap being hard work is bullshit, I could post the entire news article in a hour.
    It's not HARD work, it's just work nobody really wants to do.
    Headlines: not hard to create, big news makes headlines, and if you're active at all on MPGH you should see it easily. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.
    Pretty spot on.
    User News: Probably the hardest section, takes a little bit of work. The user news subsection takes the most work to find. Postbans are easy to find, especially when they don't get them all.
    Accurate as well.
    Birthdays: Kinda dumb, it's only apply to a few people in general. Demotions: a bit work to find.
    These go under the user news as well- they aren't their own sections.
    Interviews: Not necessarily hard, been interviewed a couple times, takes 5 minutes to interview someone if you go with the flow, formatting takes another 5 minutes.
    Yeah, not hard, but it is hard to make it so the questions don't feel like a template-sorta thing, y'know? Same questions every edition gets old quick. There's also the formatting, which isn't too hard either, like 2 minutes of work. Again, not saying it's hard, just a bit tedious at times.
    Global news / Gaming News / Tech News - looks like three articles per section, each plagarized off another website. Ok first of all this is illegal, if you copy someone's text or images you have to cite your source. And it's grabbed from some popular website, takes about 30 minutes to do.
    We're pretty much all guilty of this, though I have been trying to push myself to write it on my own rather than copy+paste it. Not sure about the others.
    Now this is done with a staff of 5-6 people. If you can't find someone competent enough to turn it in before a deadline, then you better be ready to write it yourself.
    Definitely agreed, but we have people (freelancers) to make up the articles others can't write. The problem is that people just never bother to respond, then they go "OH I'M SORRY I'M SORRY" and psy lets 'em off the hook over and over. Don't worry though, I'm in charge of discipline from here on out. No more bullshit.
    6. blahblahblah
    Again, not a news team problem. Autin and psy should be here to read this.
    1. I understand why they're completely unmotivated, their articles only get 30 responses or so. You can create the most stupid thread in general and get more replies. If their motivation doesn't come from there, it has to come from somewhere else.
    It isn't even that. Replies don't really mean anything- but it's when you KNOW people just don't read your articles. 90% of the people just go there for the interviews and user news, most of the time just skipping over our articles. And then there are the people who reply 3 minutes after the thread is posted- I mean come on, we know you didn't read any of it. I don't even mind that most people don't read my stuff, so I'm not sure why I'm defensive about this. Whatever.
    2. If they don't got the motivation for a weekly thread, I suggest a monthly or bi-monthly thread, but with higher quality and standards.
    I don't think that'd be possible. We're lazy as is, though we are definitely more motivated (at least I am).
    3. They have been doing it for a while, though inconsistently, and are pretty much where they started. They're probably tired of it. (But it's basically their own fault)
    Again, it doesn't have to do with being tired of anything. It's news team members who just decide to not do anything, we get new people, THEY don't do anything, rinse and repeat. It's nothing but a pattern.
    In the end, I'd have to side with the critics, if say you're going to do something, do it. And if you can't muster up the energy to do it, step down and let someone who wants to do it do it. Don't beat around the bush and make excuses and flame people.
    I'm not making excuses, it's just the truth. We always have lazy members 'n what-not, plus a majority of us are afraid to write the articles because we don't even know if there will be an edition this week.
    If it was up to me, I'd disband the team, it's a complete headache and all the rage fests this shit turns into every thread about the news team not doing what they said they would do, it's simply not worth the time or headache. But it's not my trigger to pull.
    That's a bit harsh, but I can see where you're coming from. I'll point this out again though: the only people flaming are psy/autin. I'm being as nice as possible to our readers, and most would agree. I feel like I'm the only rational one in these news team discussions most of the time.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. We're changing our attitude about everything right now (for the better). Expect there to be a higher quality news edition next time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I hate you colin. I really hate you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitekillr View Post
    That's a little overboard. We've all just been busy. News will get back on track once we get new writers.

Nobody's raging 'cept for autin and psy (See #3). I understand everyone's curiosity as to why it isn't up, what we're doing, etc. and it makes me upset we can't -erm, won't bring the news. We're making a new edition next week, and it'll be weekly (no monthly bs).

That's psy and autin. Just because they're the "leaders" don't mean they represent us (though most people think that anyway), though I appreciate you not including us on that part. This isn't really a news team problem, though.

I try not to be an asshole to new people, and I'm usually not. Again, not a news team problem.

It's not HARD work, it's just work nobody really wants to do.

Pretty spot on.

Accurate as well.

These go under the user news as well- they aren't their own sections.

Yeah, not hard, but it is hard to make it so the questions don't feel like a template-sorta thing, y'know? Same questions every edition gets old quick. There's also the formatting, which isn't too hard either, like 2 minutes of work. Again, not saying it's hard, just a bit tedious at times.

We're pretty much all guilty of this, though I have been trying to push myself to write it on my own rather than copy+paste it. Not sure about the others.

Definitely agreed, but we have people (freelancers) to make up the articles others can't write. The problem is that people just never bother to respond, then they go "OH I'M SORRY I'M SORRY" and psy lets 'em off the hook over and over. Don't worry though, I'm in charge of discipline from here on out. No more bullshit.

Again, not a news team problem. Autin and psy should be here to read this.

It isn't even that. Replies don't really mean anything- but it's when you KNOW people just don't read your articles. 90% of the people just go there for the interviews and user news, most of the time just skipping over our articles. And then there are the people who reply 3 minutes after the thread is posted- I mean come on, we know you didn't read any of it. I don't even mind that most people don't read my stuff, so I'm not sure why I'm defensive about this. Whatever.

I don't think that'd be possible. We're lazy as is, though we are definitely more motivated (at least I am).

Again, it doesn't have to do with being tired of anything. It's news team members who just decide to not do anything, we get new people, THEY don't do anything, rinse and repeat. It's nothing but a pattern.

I'm not making excuses, it's just the truth. We always have lazy members 'n what-not, plus a majority of us are afraid to write the articles because we don't even know if there will be an edition this week.

That's a bit harsh, but I can see where you're coming from. I'll point this out again though: the only people flaming are psy/autin. I'm being as nice as possible to our readers, and most would agree. I feel like I'm the only rational one in these news team discussions most of the time.

I definitely appreciate the feedback. We're changing our attitude about everything right now (for the better). Expect there to be a higher quality news edition next time around.
    My post was basically directed at psy and austin, since they run it, it's ultimately their responsibility. And if it makes you feel any better, I skim over the news section for anything interesting, and don't really read the interviews or user news.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

My post was basically directed at psy and austin, since they run it, it's ultimately their responsibility. And if it makes you feel any better, I skim over the news section for anything interesting, and don't really read the interviews or user news.
    aww thanks

I'm actually an editor now though, so I feel it's my responsibility as well. dun worry tho, i'll whip 'em back into shape
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I hate you colin. I really hate you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    If there's ever a need for a backup for the news team I'd be happy to help. I know it's stressful at the moment trying to push it out as fast as possible. I'm active, literate, and here's an example of my writing.

wrote this in about 4-6 hours with sited sources, easy color/img scripts, and organized.

https://www.mpgh.net/forum/170-reefer...bout-weed.html

Thanks
    The fact is, the news team is slacking and not doing their work.
    If i could i would just stop it, or put up rules if you don't finish your part you just get kicked out.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post

Sheep runs it and maintains it, recruits and kicks members.
    I agree i thought the newsletter was supposed to come out every week?

Thanks
    I think you should give them a chance it would be the last chance to improve them

Thanks
    News FO is shit and a waste of time.

Want news? go to your local news website. Not a hacking forum.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast