Thanks

Just looking for some help/ideas

Okay, I know it's been a while since I've been on, or really done anything with price database for that matter. But, I'd like to get back to it, and improve the basic user functionality and features. Though, I'm pretty well out of ideas, running with batch can limit a view. But I'd like to veer from any internet connection. If anyone has any ideas, even if it's to tell me to just stop where it is, I'd like to hear them. Please comment below, and you just might earn credit, and a new friend.
    -Thank you

IGN: MANOFNONE - GWS in ROTMG

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Will you be coding it in batch?
    Also no internet connection is a hard one, could it atleast read kabams version.txt to tell.the user if its out of date? Assuming you update the prices each build.

Accepting PayPal - Bitcoin - Giftcards - Items:

Find it here: MPGH Sales Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyshank View Post
    Will you be coding it in batch?
    Also no internet connection is a hard one, could it atleast read kabams version.txt to tell.the user if its out of date? Assuming you update the prices each build.
    Most likely yes, given it's one of the fastest applications to run anything side by side with. And thats actually not bad, I tried to update the prices given enough change in the game, like for say if 1 or 2 items change not a big deal, but if a category drops in prices then yes. I'll look into that idea. Thank you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by superbromo View Post
    Most likely yes, given it's one of the fastest applications to run anything side by side with. And thats actually not bad, I tried to update the prices given enough change in the game, like for say if 1 or 2 items change not a big deal, but if a category drops in prices then yes. I'll look into that idea. Thank you.
    I don't think you can do any networking in batch though. Maybe try learning C#/C++/Whatever?

Accepting PayPal - Bitcoin - Giftcards - Items:

Find it here: MPGH Sales Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyshank View Post
    I don't think you can do any networking in batch though. Maybe try learning C#/C++/Whatever?
    I was actually thinking of combining the two. Like have the basics run on batch, which very little networking is possible, and anything that might need the network on C++.

Trying to keep its speed and compatability
    Last edited by Distraught; 10-10-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Not sure why people obsess over speed for applications that don't require a lot of processing power to begin with. Maybe if the user is stuck using hardware from the 90's, one would notice a difference. However, with modern hardware, one would notice little difference in speed between something like flash and c++ for applications such as these. Btw in terms of raw speed, I can't see how batch would be ideal. C++, c#, Java would likely be able to do the job faster. Also why worry about internet connection when anyone using the app has an internet connection fast enough to throw a few bytes around?
    Be careful, stray too far from the pack and you'll get lost.

Thanks
    I do not entirely understand the topic here. You want ideas for something to do with a price database?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVoidCoder View Post
    I do not entirely understand the topic here. You want ideas for something to do with a price database?
    I'm looking for possible add-ons/features, or just simple upgrade ideas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
    Not sure why people obsess over speed for applications that don't require a lot of processing power to begin with. Maybe if the user is stuck using hardware from the 90's, one would notice a difference. However, with modern hardware, one would notice little difference in speed between something like flash and c++ for applications such as these. Btw in terms of raw speed, I can't see how batch would be ideal. C++, c#, Java would likely be able to do the job faster. Also why worry about internet connection when anyone using the app has an internet connection fast enough to throw a few bytes around?
    Which is originally why I wrote it in batch, my pc is an older dell thats extremely slow, and i dont have the money to upgrade. I wrote it for personal use then posted it here to see what others thought. Plus, i have 4 other people that take up my bandwith with laptops and phones. Family..... So speed and simplicity is high priority. If it doesnt work fast on my pc then i cant use it, so i avoid the internet to avoid interruption of the game, and batch is more of a safe fail writing, it goes line by line not neccessarily jumping around according to certain parameters, preventing most errors. Aside from actual textual errors.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by superbromo View Post
    Which is originally why I wrote it in batch, my pc is an older dell thats extremely slow, and i dont have the money to upgrade. I wrote it for personal use then posted it here to see what others thought. Plus, i have 4 other people that take up my bandwith with laptops and phones. Family..... So speed and simplicity is high priority. If it doesnt work fast on my pc then i cant use it, so i avoid the internet to avoid interruption of the game, and batch is more of a safe fail writing, it goes line by line not neccessarily jumping around according to certain parameters, preventing most errors. Aside from actual textual errors.
    You ever try writing a price guide that uses the internet to get its prices and compare the internet based one with the one that doesn't connect to the internet? If you are able to play rotmg on the same computer, it has the hardware/internet connection to handle something like an internet based price guide easily.

Aside from all that, a internet connection isn't really necessary for such a program since you maintain it but this makes the batch script much less useful for anyone else.
    Be careful, stray too far from the pack and you'll get lost.

Thanks
    I agree that batch is definitely not the way to go. If you are writing a program that displays pricing of items, it may be beneficial to have an XML file hosted somewhere that can hold all the item information, and have your application read the XML file. Thereby eliminating the need for users to update their application over and over.