Thread: Stop the spam!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored

Stop the spam!

Earlier today, while everyone was waiting for the 17.4 mod selector to be approved, I was stunned by the amount of spam and useless messages - almost 8 pages, if I counted right, saying "approve", "why no download?", "too slow", and similar posts. So I decided to at least try to get people to actually read the OP, and learn how the approval system works.

When the game is updated, don't make a thread, don't make a post, don't add anything that isn't useful. The hackers don't need to be told a million times over that an update is out, and it simply creates more work for the already hard-pressed mods. No one, NO ONE will care about your thread saying, "a new version is out give me hax I want to play" a single bit. And then. When someone DOES release a hack, don't spend the 5 hours waiting for approval by posting another million times, "APROVE APPROVE APPROVE." Just wait for a mod to come online and see the file, check it, and approve it - adding spam isn't going to help anyone and will likely just annoy and slow down the mods. Leave the threads clean for USEFUL posts - bug Rory's, feature requests, inquires, suggestions. If you're that bored, then go do something else. It never takes more than two days for a hack to be posted and approved, especially on a game like this. Go outside, go read, go do your homework so you don't flunk school. When the file IS approved, don't put a post saying "thanks" - there's a BUTTON for that on the OP. And if something doesn't work, don't post about it right away. Skim the topics, read the OP, use the damn search bar, read the FAQ. If you're still unsure, then you post for help.

If everybody read this thoroughly and took it to heart, our problems would be over already. But, of course, people are people. Quick to complain about anything. In reality, most likely the only people reading this will be the ones who already know how this works, and not to spam the forums to death. And even they might not have gotten this far into the thread. But if you're new, or spammy, or really just anyone, good job - you ACTUALLY read this. Now go and try to put this knowledge to use, so we can keep the forums neat and tidy.

Thanks to all,
    -Ape

(P.S. Yes, I'm a newbie. Deal with it.)
    Last edited by apemanzilla; 11-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    I agree with you 100% on this; spam sucks. However, it isn't really doing any harm, either. Yes it's annoying, immensely so in fact, but there isn't any real way to get ten and eleven year olds to listen for any length of time--Certainly no way I have discovered. It's just one of those things that is likely to always be present in forums and chat rooms around the World, and especially in a gaming forum. The only thing I know to do is not to contribute to the problem, but aside from that it'd be good just to start overlooking it, as much as I hate to say that.

P.S. Yes, I'm a new member too. Deal with it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Kialand View Post
    I agree with you 100% on this; spam sucks. However, it isn't really doing any harm, either. Yes it's annoying, immensely so in fact, but there isn't any real way to get ten and eleven year olds to listen for any length of time--Certainly no way I have discovered. It's just one of those things that is likely to always be present in forums and chat rooms around the World, and especially in a gaming forum. The only thing I know to do is not to contribute to the problem, but aside from that it'd be good just to start overlooking it, as much as I hate to say that.

P.S. Yes, I'm a new member too. Deal with it.
    Well, I suppose we could try offering them candy. You get a bite size snickers every time you avoid posting spam!

While it might not be harming anyone, spam certainly slows down the minions. Apparently over 50 spam posts were deleted from the 17.4 mod selector thread, and more than half are still there, and people are STILL posting more!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by apemanzilla View Post
    Well, I suppose we could try offering them candy. You get a bite size snickers every time you avoid posting spam!

While it might not be harming anyone, spam certainly slows down the minions. Apparently over 50 spam posts were deleted from the 17.4 mod selector thread, and more than half are still there, and people are STILL posting more!
    Haha, yeah candy might just do the trick. I also see your point with it slowing down the minions, that wasn't something I had considered when making my previous post. Regardless, thanks for making this thread... Maybe someone will listen to it, and it's a lot better than nothing.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Kialand View Post
    Haha, yeah candy might just do the trick. I also see your point with it slowing down the minions, that wasn't something I had considered when making my previous post. Regardless, thanks for making this thread... Maybe someone will listen to it, and it's a lot better than nothing.
    Oops - better update the OP now. I'm a newbie :P

Thanks
    Sadly its an offense that you can be infracted or banned for. Many learned that today. We would rather not enforce it but the more spam posts like that, the longer it takes for a file to get approved. We have to check every single post so those end up coming before the attachment. 55+ deleted posts meant a lot of time spent on that instead of reviewing the file. Plus we would rather not have another incident like before and spend more time thoroughly checking files. Most of the time it's just due to one of us being busy with real life.

It's easier for members to use the mention feature or even leave VMs/PM for Minions to check files instead of fill threads with spam anyways. Thanks to those who wait patiently and do mention us. Especially @Timii
    Last edited by Distraught; 11-07-2013 at 09:40 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Distraught For This Useful Post:

Daenerys (11-08-2013),johnwise (11-08-2013),MasterFart (11-19-2013),Royce (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Should be stickied.. Wait no. Kids wont even read, there is too many words .
    "Pl0x make a vidya too many words in ya post!!!"

What about a new rule ? 1 Spam = 1 more hour for people to wait before approval .
    Wait, no. Assholes will spam only to piss people.. :/

Being a mod is hard. Courage, guys !
    Last edited by JustAnoobROTMG; 11-08-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Due to a recent DMCA takedown attempt we had to remove Faintmako brain. Please do not paid attention to what he say or do.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustAnoobROTMG For This Useful Post:

johnwise (11-08-2013),Royce (11-19-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnoobROTMG View Post

What about a new rule ? 1 Spam = 1 more hour for people to wait before approval .

Hahaha I love this XD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    @DeVoidCoder RealmRelay support for mpgh plis that way I can use spam filter script on the forums.

Accepting PayPal - Bitcoin - Giftcards - Items:

Find it here: MPGH Sales Thread

12. The Following User Says Thank You to krazyshank For This Useful Post:

IAmDM (11-08-2013)

Thanks
    Seriously, the forums are killing IQ points. I may not contribute much but I certainly don't leech and say 'approve pls'. I feel good contributing intelligent posts and not playing the role of an idiot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyshank View Post
    @DeVoidCoder RealmRelay support for mpgh plis that way I can use spam filter script on the forums.
    Use a custom GreaseMonkey Script, bro .
    I've done one to filter Youtube results, it even works with Autopager

Just find the good class of a post then look into the content for banned words .

// ==UserScript==
    // @name Youtube Search Filter
    // @namespace *
    // @include https://www.youtube.com/results?*
    // @grant GM_addStyle
    // ==/UserScript==

var filters = new Array("ZZZZ", "XXX");

/dow.addEventListener("AutoPagerBeforeInsert", function (e){
    window.addEventListener('load', function (e) {killall();}, false);
    window.addEventListener('AutoPagerAfterInsert', function (e) {killall();}, false);

function killall(e)
    {

var allDivs, thisDiv;
    allDivs = document.evaluate("//div[@class='yt-lockup-content']",
    document,
    null,
    XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
    null);

for (var i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++)
    {

thisDiv = allDivs.snapshotItem(i);
    //alert(thisDiv.innerHTML);
    for (var j = 0;j < filters.length;j++ )
    {

if(thisDiv.innerHTML.indexOf(filters[j]) != -1 )
    {
    //alert(thisDiv.innerHTML);
    thisDiv.parentElement.style.display = 'none';
    //alert("removed");

break;
    }
    if (thisDiv.innerHTML.toUpperCase().indexOf(filters[j].toUpperCase()) != -1 )
    {
    thisDiv.parentElement.style.display = 'none';
    // alert("removed");
    break;
    }
    }
    }

}
    Also, dont blame the forums, blame users, guys.
    Due to a recent DMCA takedown attempt we had to remove Faintmako brain. Please do not paid attention to what he say or do.

Thanks
    The reason people post "Approve please" over and over is because the process of releasing an uploaded file on a new thread on these forums seems to encourage it. There are multiple options to be explored if modifying the forum software is considered. For one example, threads with uploaded files in the OP could be immediately locked until a minion reviews it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnoobROTMG View Post

1 hour of extra waiting actually would help a lot, but only if the offender was the one receiving the punishment. For every "Pl0x apprrroooooveeee eet" in all caps, size 7, and some bright neon color, the offender receives an extra hour (or twenty) of waiting. There ya go, problem solved.