Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Oh kid.....please, go research some of this stuff for yourself.

Confucius is still a history lesson because most people don't want to go to the effort of translation, his works are actually a lot better than Jesus or Muhammad, had a much bigger impact on the world too.

We talk about Jesus for the same reason we talk about Zeus, Odin, Ra, and all the other deities, because mythology has some fun in it. Satan isn't out there "tempting us to do wrong", never believe that. Satan is only an excuse people use for their lack of control, temptation isn't this entity that people will have you believe.
    -------------

Please, research the bible for yourself, read it with objectivity. I could go on and on telling you why the bible is basically fucked up, but it's better for you to read stuff and really think about it for yourself.

I understand what you're saying from a atheist standpoint (not saying there's anything wrong with being atheist.) But I choose to believe what I choose to believe. I don't need to research something because often we see the Bible used as a valid History resource, not just from a religious point of view but from an atheist point of view. Nothing anybody possibly says will sway me away from my religion. Whether you think I'm stupid for that or not I choose to respect that opinion instead of forming my beliefs to other peoples liking.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by LuaHax View Post
    I understand what you're saying from a atheist standpoint (not saying there's anything wrong with being atheist.) But I choose to believe what I choose to believe. I don't need to research something because often we see the Bible used as a valid History resource, not just from a religious point of view but from an atheist point of view. Nothing anybody possibly says will sway me away from my religion. Whether you think I'm stupid for that or not I choose to respect that opinion instead of forming my beliefs to other peoples liking.
    The fact that you just said you don't need to research anything just goes to show how lost Christians are. They are so blinded by their own faith and ignorance that they are unwilling to come to grips with the reality that surrounds us. They can't even bother to seek understanding of why other people find them so silly. Oh and the Bible is used as a History resource because it can account for some past events and wars. It is never used as a source for validation of any kind of metaphysical phenomena.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by LuaHax View Post
    I think you need to research from your bible. You can learn a lot from it, including the lesson that "blind belief is foolish".

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    When you speak of God, are we speaking about a universal power? Or are we localizing him according to religions?

Either way, Hope can only exist as long as there is a foundation to devote that hope on. This foundation is religion, People lay their faith and most of the times their actions pay off, This instantly triggers them to believe that the faith they devoted to their religion is the cause of this.

God's a placebo that people depend on at some point in their life.

Maybe this is stupid, but I guess by spitting this out, someone who finds fault in this can enlighten me and make my views less senseless.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    When you speak of God, are we speaking about a universal power? Or are we localizing him according to religions?

Either way, Hope can only exist as long as there is a foundation to devote that hope on. This foundation is religion, People lay their faith and most of the times their actions pay off, This instantly triggers them to believe that the faith they devoted to their religion is the cause of this.

God's a placebo that people depend on at some point in their life.

Maybe this is stupid, but I guess by spitting this out, someone who finds fault in this can enlighten me and make my views less senseless.
    Well most people localize him to their God. Usually Christianity or Muslim. In a general sense a being with the power of "god" probably exist, though not the one from human religion.
    ----------------
    There are other ways to get hope, religion being one of them is actually fine. Though some could argue hope is more similar to ignorance most of the time, it's still ok that people gain hope from religion. Again, if actions taken were not-withstanding, religion would be fine.

Sadly confirmation bias leads to a lot of mislead faith. "I avoided a car accident, it was god's will!", meanwhile jimmy over there got hit at age 16 and died on impact.

It's the "the world revolves around me" type of thinking.

Thanks
    I actually think buddha is the only real god.

THE EYES OF THE DAVESTAPO ARE UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO WE ARE GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE WE GONNA BE

Thanks
    But, most people have some good facts about other religions

THE EYES OF THE DAVESTAPO ARE UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO WE ARE GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE WE GONNA BE

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jov View Post
    I actually think buddha is the only real god.
    Since when is Buddha a god?

Thanks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha
    Buddha is a god in:

Tibetian Buddhism
    Chinese Buddhism

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Buddha is a god in:

Tibetian Buddhism
    Chinese Buddhism
    Even then he is still not a god, he is the enlightened. A sage. Through his teachings he has resented the ideology of a creator deity. Basically, Buddhism lacks a god and considers Buddha a mentor and the Enlightened, however he is not considered a god. Believe you me I have went in depth in studying Buddhism and no where in Buddha's teachings does it mention the idea of a higher being/god.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Buddha is a god in:

Tibetian Buddhism
    Chinese Buddhism
    Buddha is not a god in either of those. He is likened to one on occasion but he is never worshiped nor directly perceived as a god. In fact in almost all tangents of Buddhism the idea of a single deity or any theistic belief is just about universally rejected. Half my family are practicing Chinese Buddhists.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Ferris Bueller (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I was quite sure that Budda believed truth is the ultimate God, He never proclaimed himself to be a God.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Time For This Useful Post:

Ferris Bueller (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone553 View Post
    When people are taught from birth that there is a being that watches over them, no matter how much they try, the idea tends to stick.
    we're told many things as children, yet religion seems to be the thing that sticks
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

we're told many things as children, yet religion seems to be the thing that sticks
    Because we don't stop seeing religion once we grow up, say a child believes in boogie man, he will grow out of it, because eventually none of the grownups talk about it, no friends, nothing. While we constantly see religion all around us, that's why it sticks.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast