Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy

Anime Conventions and Thoughts on Them?

Just wondering what you guys thought of anime conventions, get-together's, and things like that. Cosplaying, buying/ selling merchandise and seeing voice actors, etc. Think it's worth the money to spend a few days on things like this? Just wondering since I'm going to one in Vancouver, and I wanna know what other people think of these events. Btw one of my favorite parts of conventions would be seeing really good cosplay, some people are so damn dedicated.

Thanks
    I've never been to a convention myself. I've been invited several times but I just never really wanted to go to one.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Don't really feel the need to since I feel I would pity the people there, don't get me wrong but I like anime it's just the fact that the people there would be downright weird and are probably classified as the "outsiders" to most people.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Honestly? I've been to one. The biggest one in m country.
    For me it was like a dream, because no one fucking judged you, and there were people from all ages there. I convinced my parents to take me there, and theny didnt knew about anime or cosplay, when they got there they actually found it interesting, and they usually dislike disguises and holidays like halloween and carnaval and mardi gras.

I got there and bought my first manga, was going to invest on cosplay accessories too, but thought it was not the best idea for that time.
    And lots of other stuff. And the people who cosplay actually gave the event another color, pretty interesting. I totally reccomend 2 things to enjoy the event to the max:

1. Bring money: You will want to invest in merchandise and manga when you get there, trust me, loads of shops and banners makes you insta buy stuff withougt thinking.
    2. Cosplay. Even if its something simple, no one will judge you and if they do, you shouldn't give a shit.
    Because not all cosplays are nice or fit people, but they still try their best.

Btw, enjoy the event.
    Formerly known as gamer4evere

Participated on:
    MPGH GAMING NIGHT 08/03/2015 - Town of Salem

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4evere View Post
    I convinced my parents to take me there, and they didn't knew about anime or cosplay, when they got there they actually found it interesting,
    You must have some freely thinking parents then. My dad sees my anime wallpapers and already gets on my ass...granted they're usually lewd as fuck lolol
    It's not fair T_T

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4evere View Post
    Honestly? I've been to one. The biggest one in m country.
    For me it was like a dream, because no one fucking judged you, and there were people from all ages there. I convinced my parents to take me there, and theny didnt knew about anime or cosplay, when they got there they actually found it interesting, and they usually dislike disguises and holidays like halloween and carnaval and mardi gras.

I got there and bought my first manga, was going to invest on cosplay accessories too, but thought it was not the best idea for that time.
    And lots of other stuff. And the people who cosplay actually gave the event another color, pretty interesting. I totally reccomend 2 things to enjoy the event to the max:

1. Bring money: You will want to invest in merchandise and manga when you get there, trust me, loads of shops and banners makes you insta buy stuff withougt thinking.
    2. Cosplay. Even if its something simple, no one will judge you and if they do, you shouldn't give a shit.
    Because not all cosplays are nice or fit people, but they still try their best.

Btw, enjoy the event.
    Haha thanks, I'll be sure to focus on just having fun, especially since every year they have a maid cafe and rave.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10108 View Post
    You must have some freely thinking parents then. My dad sees my anime wallpapers and already gets on my ass...granted they're usually lewd as fuck lolol
    It's not fair T_T
    I don't let my parents inside my room, but I've got the same things and I'm pretty sure they would not like that I spent so much money on stuff like this. I also have around $30 worth of buttons. Still not regretting it though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    It's not fair T_T
    Not really, they can be pricks pretty easily. Also it took its time to convince them to let me go there.
    Oh and since I dont have any anime wallpapers and stuff, they probably dont mind much. I only have two deluxe manga, and I watch anime online or download it so...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post

Haha thanks, I'll be sure to focus on just having fun, especially since every year they have a maid cafe and rave.
    DIE YOU MERCILESS BASTARD, I WANT TO GO TO A MAID CAFE TOO!!! And RAVE? WOW! They dont host those here...

Participated on:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Anime conventions are kind of boring around here.

Everyone cosplays as naruto/bleach/onepiece, then 90% of the merch is stuff from 3-5+ years ago(more expensive too), and the actual events are really dorky.

I like the idea and the bigger ones are great, but around here.......they kinda suck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Anime conventions are kind of boring around here.

Everyone cosplays as naruto/bleach/onepiece, then 90% of the merch is stuff from 3-5+ years ago(more expensive too), and the actual events are really dorky.

I like the idea and the bigger ones are great, but around here.......they kinda suck.

I really want to go to Comiket in Japan someday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance-sama View Post
    I can't imagine all the looks I'd get as a 6' 2" lanky tan boy over there.
    The amounts of "gajin" said under people's breaths would be depressing too.
    (100th post hype)

Thanks
    I can't imagine all the looks I'd get as a 6' 2" lanky tan boy over there.
    The amounts of "gajin" said under people's breaths would be depressing too.
    (100th post hype)
    I'm sure there's a decent amount of foreigners that go to it. And gratz on the milestone.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance-sama View Post
    If you go, PM me, I want to go too.
    You buy ticket and I go inside briefcase, ok?

Participated on:

Thanks
    It is now decided that the anime section of MPGH will be taking a field trip to Comiket. Please have your parents sign the premission slip and hand it back in by September. We'll talk about plane tickets and such later. Thank you for your cooperation.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Grumpy
    It is now decided that the anime section of MPGH will be taking a field trip to Comiket. Please have your parents sign the premission slip and hand it back in by September. We'll talk about plane tickets and such later. Thank you for your cooperation.
    I think most of us are old enough to go on our own anyways. On that note, I'm actually going to Japan next year, not for Comiket though. I might go, depending if I have the time to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post

I think most of us are old enough to go on our own anyways. On that note, I'm actually going to Japan next year, not for Comiket though. I might go, depending if I have the time to.
    Ya i figured everyone is but i just felt like it would be appropriate to add that permission slip part haha
    I feel like it would be a really good experience so you should check it out if you have extra time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast