Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed

I'm learning C++ and need help making some decisions

Howdy, viewer(s)! I'm currently reading the tutorials from "https://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/04-introduction-to-development/" and I would like to know whether this is a reliable and decent source of C++ education. I have no experience with coding C++, but I have done a bit of HTML. I'm not sure if that would benefit me at all, but I think I can say I get the jist of simple coding.
    NOTE: I do realise C++ is a high-level language code, and HTML is no comparison to it. Please do not be the jerk that says something like that to me.

I am using Notepad++ because I cannot afford to buy programming software.

If there's anyone who has admirable knowledge on the topic of C++ could help me, it would be most appreciated! I'm totally open to constructive criticism.

I eventually hope to begin coding hacks among all things, and helping out the MPGH community. I've taken and used enough hacks from MPGH, and I feel the need to give back.

EDIT: What the hell is a compiler, and what do I need it for? Where can I find a decent free one?

Thanks!
    ~Mike
    Last edited by goco79; 07-02-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    "Even death is not to be feared by the one who has lived wisely." ~Buddha

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    Don't know C++ myself but website seems pretty reliable
    C++ For Dummies Also use that book, quite informative.

Notepad++ isn't exactly the best, I would recommend cracking Visual Studio, just search for it in Pirate Bay or KickAssTorrents.

A compiler basically compiles your code and puts it together forming the final project.

Good Luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pepsi Cola For This Useful Post:

Alde. (07-03-2014),goco79 (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    I actually found a free Visual C++ 2005 download. I have just finished downloading it and completed the generic "Hello World" ritual. Though it's just a 30 day trial, I believe it's sufficient for me to get the basics down and move on to another program. Possibly a torrented Visual Studios. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Pepsi Cola!

~Mike
    Last edited by goco79; 07-03-2014 at 02:02 AM.
    "Even death is not to be feared by the one who has lived wisely." ~Buddha

Thanks
    You don't need any fancy software to code. If you hate the visual studio series like myself, get hold of code::blocks, its free and imo its a more flexible IDE and much easier to use. As to where to learn, it depends really on you. If reading is your thing, there are plenty of books out there. But for more visual learners there are also plenty of video lessons on c++ around the web. (ie. check youtube) plus it gives a more comfortable learning method... Another place to look is the standard library (std), its not good practice to use the library but if you are starting out you can check it out to get the grasps of things on how many of the functions work. And lastly which I think is the best practice, is to play around yourself with c++. Trial and error is hands down the best way to learn.

Good luck! and always keep in mind motivation beats all!
    Last edited by 0x2f_; 07-03-2014 at 03:33 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 0x2f_ For This Useful Post:

nilly (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by goco79 View Post
    I actually found a free Visual C++ 2005 download. I have just finished downloading it and completed the generic "Hello World" ritual. Though it's just a 30 day trial, I believe it's sufficient for me to get the basics down and move on to another program. Possibly a torrented Visual Studios. Thanks for the words of wisdom, Pepsi Cola!

~Mike
    Download: Download Overview or Download Overview
    There's no need to torrent them..(unless you want the additional features which come with Preimum/Ultimate)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Obviously mathematics is fundamental to programming, try learning

binary, base2, 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,,256.
    There are 2 to the power of 8 (256) possible values for 8 bits.
    logic functions and, or, not, etc , bit shifting, the or function can be used for encryption, truth tables.
    Hexadecimal, base 16.
    log and power functions.
    trigonometry sin cos tan.
    Vectors.
    CPU Architecture, ALU, Full adder, Decoders, BCD, shift registers, cache, ram, rom, data bus, address bus,

Programming wise
    Learn data structures, Link list, arrays, double link list, stacks (FIFO) , binary trees.
    Memory allocation, pointers, address, function pointers
    Data types, integer, floats, byte, sting, double, Boolean
    Control statements, conditional statements.

good luck.

edit showing off, below is a Digital electronic simulator I written back in july 2009, i started programming in september 2005, self taught, no collage education at all, The internet and library are great place to learn.

https://i.imgur.com/JxVdKSd.jpg
    Last edited by Botmaker; 07-03-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Botmaker View Post
    Obviously mathematics is fundamental to programming, try learning

binary, base2, 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,,256.
    There are 2 to the power of 8 (256) possible values for 8 bits.
    logic functions and, or, not, etc , bit shifting, the or function can be used for encryption, truth tables.
    Hexadecimal, base 16.
    log and power functions.
    trigonometry sin cos tan.
    Vectors.
    CPU Architecture, ALU, Full adder, Decoders, BCD, shift registers, cache, ram, rom, data bus, address bus,

Programming wise
    Learn data structures, Link list, arrays, double link list, stacks (FIFO) , binary trees.
    Memory allocation, pointers, address, function pointers
    Data types, integer, floats, byte, sting, double, Boolean
    Control statements, conditional statements.

good luck.

edit showing off, below is a Digital electronic simulator I written back in july 2009, i started programming in september 2005, self taught, no collage education at all, The internet and library are great place to learn.

https://i.imgur.com/JxVdKSd.jpg
    overkill imho

anyways OP, you should know that C++ is harmful and one shouldn't even want to hear of it
    second thing: C++ is /not/ an high level language
    third thing: how do you think you're going to execute the code you write without a compiler? a compiler is a program that translates the code you write to machine code fyi

fourth thing: if you really are learning c++ you should consider killing yourself
    "The great merit of society is to make one appreciate solitude."
    Charles Chincholles, "Reflections on the Art of Life" (from fortune-mod)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    fourth thing: if you really are learning c++ you should consider killing yourself
    Again. This stupid debate about "my langage is better and yours sucks"....

binary, base2, 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,,256. > TRUE
    logic functions and, or, not, etc , bit shifting, the or function can be used for encryption, truth tables. Kinda aggree but a bit too much ftm
    log and power functions. no, you are learning to code ftm you wont use stuf like that. Unless you code a game
    trigonometry sin cos tan. no, you are learning to code ftm you wont use stuf like that. Unless you code a game
    Vectors. no, you are learning to code ftm you wont use stuf like that. Unless you code a game
    CPU Architecture, ALU, Full adder, Decoders, BCD, shift registers, cache, ram, rom, data bus, address bus, Can help for understanding but not necessary

Programming wise
    Learn data structures, Link list, arrays, double link list, stacks (FIFO) , binary trees. TRUE
    Memory allocation, pointers, address, function pointers TRUE
    Data types, integer, floats, byte, sting, double, Boolean TRUE
    Control statements, conditional statements. TRUE
    Due to a recent DMCA takedown attempt we had to remove Faintmako brain. Please do not paid attention to what he say or do.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Code block, or dev-c++ or visual studio IDE(integrated development environment) are good enough for a beginner.

C/C++ is a low level language, however most commercial game engines are written in C/C++ and usually include a scripting language like LUA.

When learning to program it’s usually a good idea to choose a simpler programming language and a high level language like JAVA, or python, or any other scripting language, also for learning how to make games, it’s recommend to use a all in one tool like game maker studio or unity, before moving on to creating your own game engine.

nice c++ tutorial for beginner looking to make games.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/LusikkaMage/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4RqHtEAAds

Elysian Shadows, Cool game development series.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/GyroVorbis

I highly recommend these online lectures(55 videos) for learning c/c++ and computer science
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE7l...DC9B37DBF7724E
    Last edited by Botmaker; 07-03-2014 at 09:05 AM.

L̋̾̈́͑ͥͨͨ͞Ò̴ͫͪ͛͋̉͛Lͥ̔̓ ͨ͛ͬ ͩ̀͢
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    If this is your first language, I highly recommend not to start with C++. Learning C first is a better idea as C can be used in tons of other languages. (C code works in C++) C libs work in C#, Python, C++, even PHP. But learning a simpler language like C helps you understand programming in general, as a lot of languages are made in C or modeled after C.
    cant have shit in detroit

13. The Following User Says Thank You to C453 For This Useful Post:

Trapped (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Creating your own game engine??? That's very far far away....