Thread: Crossfit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Crossfit?

Crossfit: "Constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movement."

So I recently started doing Crossfit... About 3 weeks ago.

Many people have varied opinions on Crossfit. Some love it, others hate it.

I looked up "Define crossfit" and this popped up: "A bunch of rich white people paying $250/mo. to have an uncredentialed coach instruct them to have spasms with PVC pipe and siezures on pull-up bars until they vomit. They generally do this for a period of 10-30 minutes and call it a workout. Those who partake in these group activities also have the option to pay $1000 to attend a weekend course where they have an alcoholic instruct them how to better lift their PVC pipe. Some people who do these activities may also confuse being nauseous with being elite."

A lot of people say it isn't good for you, it doesn't work, you'll get hurt, and so on.

But what do you guys think of it? For those who know about it? Would it be worth continuing?
    Last edited by FaZe.Hunter; 09-13-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    I started working out 4 years ago and since I only do body-weight I'm always doing crossfit, its the most effective for me

Thanks
    I went to a free session they hold at my local crossfit place every weekend. The guy there was nice, but all the equipment smelled horrible and I was sore for three days afterwards. I wanted to join (but seriously, the smell of the equipment was a major deterrent), but ended up joining the Gym at my sister's hospital instead (she's a nurse).

Threadstarter
    No Mistakes, Just Lessons
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    I was sore for three days afterwards.
    That's one thing I've definitely noticed. I'm ALWAYS sore.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Don't do crossfit. They have a horrible mentality where they keep pushing well past healthy limits. Rhabdomyolysis, or rhabdo, is it is more commonly known, is what happens when muscle wear is so extensive that muscle tissue enters the blood stream, causing kidney failure if not treated immediately. This shit occurs at relatively high rates among crossfitters. They even have a mascot of the guy, Uncle Rhabdo. You're better off signing up to your local gym. Research exercises, proper form, and nutrition.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azathᴏth For This Useful Post:

chubbers101 (09-13-2014),Euphemistic (09-15-2014),Lehsyrus (09-13-2014)

Threadstarter
    No Mistakes, Just Lessons
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post
    Don't do crossfit. They have a horrible mentality where they keep pushing well past healthy limits. Rhabdomyolysis, or rhabdo, is it is more commonly known, is what happens when muscle wear is so extensive that muscle tissue enters the blood stream, causing kidney failure if not treated immediately. This shit occurs at relatively high rates among crossfitters. They even have a mascot of the guy, Uncle Rhabdo. You're better off signing up to your local gym. Research exercises, proper form, and nutrition.

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm currently in high school and I still need a PE credit, and I'm serious into being fit. So would it be better to take the crossfit class they offer, or PE?
    Btw: I also do wrestling practice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post

I agree crossfit is way to crazy, when I had crossfit I had around 3 torn muscles which is such a big pain... Gratefully I didn't have the kidney issue you described

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FaZe.Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

I'm currently in high school and I still need a PE credit, and I'm serious into being fit. So would it be better to take the crossfit class they offer, or PE?
    I would recommend taking PE...

Thanks
    The form of crossfit you see these people doing is, well to be blunt, pointless. The majority sacrifice form and intensity for speed. They seem to believe that intensity = speed which is not the case.

Stick to normal PE, and get your gym time after school. If you're die hard into lifting, look into the research of the anatomical structure of human muscle, and not just one or two types, but every type down to skeletal muscle. Then using that knowledge, utilize it to optimize your workouts.

There is a reason why Arnold was able to obtain such a massive stature at just 15 years of age, before he used steroids. He stuck to the basics, and became so well versed with them he was able to create new routines for himself to break past his barriers. The basic deadlifts, hammer curls, chest flies, incline bench press, floor rows, lat pulldowns, et al. are all the best methods to get into bodybuilding, and fitness as a whole (unless you're looking for straight endurance, then sprinting is more of an option along with heavy leg workouts to assist removing the strain from your joints and tendons).

When you become more well-versed in the basics, then you can apply SOME crossfit ideas into the mix, such as increasing the pace and reducing rest times in between sets. However, I personally believe with all of my knowledge on the human anatomy that German Volume Training is MUCH more superior than crossfit for endurance. With GVT, you're forcing an improvement. With crossfit, there's no way to measure your improvement. You can't judge improvement based on how many cycles completed or at what time, because you could easily be sacrificing good form and intensity by doing so.

All in all, maybe using a dumbed down version for a week would be a nice little rest, but you shouldn't rely on it for total conditioning, nor bodybuilding as a whole.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angry
    It's fine if you have a good coach. Problem is that its not extremely hard to be a coach.

It depends on your goals. If you want a more functional body and you don't care for ascetics, than stick to your crossfit.

Aestics = bodybuilding
    Strength = Powerlifting
    Power = Olympic lifting (I can't stand how cross fitters try to make it as as they made Olympic wieghtlifting but whatever)
    Endurace = Long Distance Running
    Speed = Sprint Running
    Cross fitt= Medicore at all the above.

Actual Athleticism = play an actual sport.

Thanks
    fuck crossfit, stick with the gym
    https://www.muscleforlife.com/does-crossfit-work/
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    fuck crossfit, stick with the gym
    https://www.muscleforlife.com/does-crossfit-work/
    +1 fully agree with the above poster, nuff said.

Thanks
    Ya just do a bro split and go for a walk everyday or go ride a bicycle (not a steroid cycle lol)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by FaZe.Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know your high school, but I question the legitimacy of the course they offer. Better off taking the regular PE course and going to the gym on your own time. No one knows your limits better than you.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Crossfit is so dumb. You train like for 10 years and still same looklike -.-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast