Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Frequently Asked Questions

F.A.Q.
    Frequently Asked Questions

Contribute:

This is a new project I'm trying out. The idea is simple. Users will post answer to common questions in this format:

Title: The question
    A: Write out the answer to the question you want added.
    Template

I will hotlink all the questions to the first page of this thread. This way all of the FAQ can be found on one post. Keep the questions somewhat generic. questions such as: "What does this error mean?" will not be include. Instead a generic question would be. "How do I understand compiler errors?"

EDIT: I just saw your post loland. haha sorry about that. Could you please add what you said here.

Credits:
    lolland
    Last edited by why06; 11-17-2009 at 04:20 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

bounttyy (03-13-2018),Larity2056 (05-05-2012),miamiz (09-29-2010),mookamoka3 (01-27-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Lol I made one of these before you.

Thanks
    its gunna help lotssa people.

and why06 u are minion force now!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

What is OOP? (Object Oriented Programming)

Question: What is OOP? (Object Oriented Programming)

Answer:

Ok. Here's how may old Java teacher explained it:
    If you think about it everything in the world is an object. So instead of programming with mathematical equations and jumps every which way, why not structure our code into logical encapsulations. These are called classes. In nature a class might be birds. Now as you know there are many different types of birds.
    A peacock is a bird. A parrot is a bird, an eagle and so on... So what do all these things have in common? Well they all have feathers, beaks, and wings. This is called Inheritence. In OOP classes can inherit the traits of a base class. (we would call it a super class in Java) So you see a penguin would inherit wings, feather, and a beak from the bird class. In programming this might be similar to inheriting common functions.
    Say you have a bunch of slightly different programs that still use some of the same functions. You could make a class to encapsulate those functions and those same traits will be available to all the off-spring of that class. So you see a penguin may inherit all these traits which keeps us from having to recode the attributes everytime we want a different kind of bird. Say we wanted an eagle. Well eagles can fly while penguins can swim, but they are both birds. So I can just use the bird class to create a new class called eagle only adding the fact that eagles can fly.

As you can see you sing these same features over again can drastically improve development time. Before OOP you might have had to retype the same basic program a hundred times then just typing what has changed about it. Now I'm bet your wondering what an object is?

Well an object is a specific implementation of that class. A class is a blueprint for an object, and the object is the actual thing. That is about as far as I can go into detail right now with out you having any real experience in programming.

Right now you just need to start writing code. Sooner or later you will really come to see how powerful and adaptable objects are.
    Last edited by why06; 10-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

6. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Renamon Toast Crunch (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    lol no one asked a question yet

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

What is a compiler and what compiler should I get?

Question: What is a compiler and what compiler should I get?

Answer:
    A compiler is the tool that turns your code into an executable file. You cant just write out a code in notepad and save it as supercoolhax.exe and expect it to run *cough*. In the lines of good compilers here are two great compilers that you can get free:

Dev C++ 5.0 (beta)
    -No UI builder.
    -I've had problems with Dev C++ and D3D
    -Created for simple coding. I usually use it when writing out small projects.
    +Great for starters.
    +Easy to use
    +Great built in compiler
    +Great GUI
    My opinion on Dev C++: If you wanted to start learning C++, and needed a compiler, then I would suggest Dev C++. It is easy to use, extremely simple to use, and is just a great starter compiler.

Visual C++ 2008 Express
    -Not the best GUI, a tiny bit complex.
    -Stupid compiler errors that make no sense.
    -Makes small project overcomplicated
    -Larger, takes up more space, CPU usage.
    +Great for large projects
    +Simple UI building
    +Easy to build large projects
    My opinion: I simply only use this compiler for large projects only. If I wanted to make ex: a Public Warrock Hack, I would use this compiler, but then again, if I wanted to make Hello World, I would go for Dev C++.

Verdict on compilers:
    Start out at Dev C++, work your way to Visual C++.
    Last edited by why06; 10-12-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: I put it in the right format so I can add it. I hope you don't mind. I thought your description about compilers was great!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolland For This Useful Post:

WTFXD185 (04-16-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by lolland View Post
    Lol I made one of these before you.
    Sorry lolland xD. I didn't read your post when I made then. The I looked down the forum and was like: "Oh shit! o_O" But you see how I posted my answer? Could you please add yours to this list like that?

EDIT: Oh you did! Thanks

Oh and Hi Zhhot! Haven't seen you in a while :P...

EDIT: Lol. Ok do you guys kind of see how this thing is going? Submit your FAQ and I will add it to the list as well as make it match the color theme... cuz I'm weird like that ;l. So once your post is all fancy looking you'll know it's been accepted. Try to make these good answers. This isn't a one time thing. Once your answer is accepted it will be that answer that every newcomer will see for however long this forum remains open.
    Last edited by why06; 10-12-2009 at 02:31 PM.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah

What is programming? / What is a copy&paster?

Question: What is programming?

Answer:
    Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding) is the process of writing, testing, debugging/troubleshooting, and maintaining the source code of computer programs. This source code is written in a programming language. The code may be a modification of an existing source or something completely new. The purpose of programming is to create a program that exhibits a certain desired behaviour (customization). The process of writing source code often requires expertise in many different subjects, including knowledge of the application domain, specialized algorithms and formal logic.

Question:What is a copy&paster?

Answer:
    Copy and paste programming is a pejorative term to describe highly repetitive computer programming code apparently produced by copy and paste operations. It is frequently symptomatic of a lack of programming competence, or an insufficiently expressive development environment, as subroutines or libraries would normally be used instead. In certain contexts it has legitimate value, if used with care.

if you copy paste give credits to the author

example:

answer1:
    Copy and paste programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

answer2:
    Computer programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by lalakijilp; 10-12-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Ok lala this is just a c&p from Wikipedia. I suppose that's not terrible, but I want these to be more then just Wiki quotes. Wiki quotes are a little bit better then straight definitions. You would want to explain what Computer Programming means to someone who doesn't understand it. Same for the Copy&Paster one. We pretty much know that c&p is a derogatory name around the programming sections. So you might want to add how no to be a copy and paster... things like that.

I need to hold these to a certain level of standard. So this will not be included. I hope people don't feel I'm being to harsh. If you do just say something.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Since copy pasters are special, they deserve a topic of their own:
    What is a Copy&Paster? - MPGH - MultiPlayer Game Hacking
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

What is a SDK?

Question: What is a SDK?

Answer:

A SDK is a Software Development Kit. SDK's are downloadable tools,classes, and interfaces that help programmers develop software. One such SDK is the DirectX SDK, but their are many more, such as the Detours SDK, iPhone SDK, etc. If you plan on becoming a gamehacker you will want to be somewhat knowledgeable in the DirectX SDK and the Windows API. A lot of others SDK's are made to run on top of the Windows API.
    Software development kit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by why06; 10-15-2009 at 08:10 AM.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

What is an API?

Question: What is an API?

Answer:

API is an acronym for Application Programmers Interface. Essentially API's are language specific interfaces from programmers to use certain functions of the system that the API defines. In the case of C++ the Windows API defines certain windows features like creating windows, handles to those windows, hidden windows, open windows, etc. The DirectX SDK also contains API of different functions provided by the DirectX system. When a game runs or you open a Window. The program accesses those function provided by the API.

Application programming interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

What is C/C++/C#? Which is better?

Question: What is C/C++/C#? Which is better?

Answer:

Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1
    C++;
    C++ is the continued Development of C with the addition of Object Oriented concepts such as the use of Classes etc. (Why06 wrote up a nice example of what part of that means here: https://www.mpgh.net/forum/31-c-c/868...=1#post1131935 )
    You can also think of it as: C is a 'subset' of C++. If you know C++ you technically know C (though may not be as familiar with some of the commands that are more commonly used there), while if you know C, you don't necessarily know C++.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a pure 'C' program nowadays on a windows box. (embedded is a different story, but even there C++ is the most popular).

The latest option to the party is of course any of the .NET languages such as either Managed C++ (also called VC++.NET by some) or C# (C-Sharp) but because they need some extra stuff ( won't bore you with details ) they are not the top choice (especially for making hacks etc which is what your ultimate goal is I assume?).
    C++ is definitely the best language to make gamehacks...
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    C# executes in a runtime enviroment so it can't access specific machine functions nearly as easily a C. It would be quite similar to making a hack in Java.... :{ ew.
    C however isn't as complex as C# and doesn't offer classes or many of the benefits that come with object oriented program.
    C++ is right in the middle. Not completely completely as portable as C#, but offers all the functionality of C while having the ability to use classes. Only problem is it only runs on a native Windows environment.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

17. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

KinKaray (09-18-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thanks, I had no Idea show many C's there were..
    I didn't know if there was Cb (flat) or C- haha

Quote Originally Posted by Luizfe View Post
    I hate them gold mods.
    They're like herpes: Everyone haves 'em.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Question: What is a SDK?

Answer:

A SDK is a Software Development Kit. SDK's are downloadable tools,classes, and interfaces that help programmers develop software. One such SDK is the DirectX SDK, but their are many more, such as the Detours SDK, iPhone SDK, etc. If you plan on becoming a gamehacker you will want to be somewhat knowledgeable in the DirectX SDK and the Windows API. A lot of others SDK's are made to run on top of the Windows API.
    Software development kit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    dont forgot that you'll want to get to learn the games engine too.
    I 'specialize' in the source engine(Counter Strike: Source, DoD: Source, HL2, etc), but there are alot more!
    Quake engine
    Unreal engine
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast