Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

I dunno if this is the appropriate place to post this or not, but I feel it deals with the USA. As many people know President Barrack Hussein Obama won the Nobel Prize in the category of Peace.

I question....Why?
    Now as a white person, when I bring this up in public, everyone pretty much says "racist" but I assure you my bias has nothing to do with this. Regardless of skin color, if someone has done something of outstanding achievement I will acknowledge this, but what exactly has Obama done to receive the Nobel Peace Prize? I remember, such as say for Physics. In 1932, when Werner Karl Heisenberg was accredited with, and I quote "for the creation of quantum mechanics, the application of which has, inter alia, led to the discovery of the allotropic forms of hydrogen". Now that is some real shit. To be accredited by the Nobel Prize committee with "The Creation Of Quantum Mechanics".

More along the lines, we'll pick someone who has been awarded the Peace Prize.

In 1987 Oscar Arias Sánchez was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for, and I quote, "for his work for peace in Central America, efforts which led to the accord signed in Guatemala on August 7 this year"

Now that is recognizable, but lets glance at why Obama was awarded the prize.

In 2009, President Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for, and I quote, "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".

I again question....Why? How has he achieved this? He has only been President for 9 months, and as to my knowledge had done nothing before his presidency to "strengthen international Diplomacy". Since Obama has been President, Bill Clinton HAS DONE MORE! Ex-President Bill Clinton, un-requested by the United states government entered hostile North Korea with peaceful intentions and through debate and agreements was able to retrieve American journalists Laura Ling and Euna Lee, who were being held captive as "spies" since they were journalists. This is again UNREQUESTED by the united states government, but instead the victims families personally requesting President Clinton to do so.

Now again I ask, why do some of you feel that Obama did or did not deserve the peace prize. And please, if you respond, post some evidence as to why or why not.

My references from this post were found via Google searches leading to Google News Articles, as well as the Nobel main web page.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    I know this is a hot button issue. I was surprised as well. I wonder if even President Obama was surprised? I suppose it has to deal with foreign relations. Obama hasn't done much yet, but he has opened the doors for discussion. And that's a big step instead of simply ignoring the rest of the world. I personally believe he needed to actually accomplish more things to win the Nobel, but what can you do? His popularity in the rest of the world is phenomenal... even more so then in the U.S. I think they gave him the Nobel as a gesture of good hope. And what is Obama supposed to do? Refuse to accept it?

See look what Obama said himself about it: Is Winning Nobel Peace Prize Good Or Bad For Obama? - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2009
    He did not want to be nominated. He did not feel like he had done enough to deserve this. It is the rest of the world pressuring him to make new Foreign Policy I believe.

Here's an excerpt:
    Quote Originally Posted by news

"I think you may hear a deeper criticism from the right that this may well be a foreign attempt to interfere with American foreign policy to influence the course of the Obama administration," Lichtman says.

"And it comes at a very interesting time, of course, in that he's got some very big decisions to make about Afghanistan right now. And receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize at this moment could well be a factor in influencing his decision," he adds. "This is both an enormous honor, but also a political headache for him."
    Another Take: https://www.rferl.org/content/Comment...e/1848094.html

You see Obama wasn't expecting it either. It's hard to tell weather this was a ignorant mistake by the Prize commity or a underhanded move. Whatever the reason it has already and will continue to cause Obama a great deal of strife. He has to walk a fine line between establishing foreign relations and not letting foreign relations establish him.
    Last edited by why06; 10-12-2009 at 07:37 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    I know this is a hot button issue. I was surprised as well. I wonder if even President Obama was surprised? I suppose it has to deal with foreign relations. Obama hasn't done much yet, but he has opened the doors for discussion. And that's a big step instead of simply ignoring the rest of the world. I personally believe he needed to actually accomplish more things to win the Nobel, but what can you do? His popularity in the rest of the world is phenomenal... even more so then in the U.S. I think they gave him the Nobel as a gesture of good hope. And what is Obama supposed to do? Refuse to accept it?

See look what Obama said himself about it: Is Winning Nobel Peace Prize Good Or Bad For Obama? - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2009
    He did not want to be nominated. He did not feel like he had done enough to deserve this. It is the rest of the world pressuring him to make new Foreign Policy I believe.

Here's an excerpt:

Another Take: Obama's Prize - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2009

You see Obama wasn't expecting it either. It's hard to tell weather this was a ignorant mistake by the Prize commity or a underhanded move. Whatever the reason it has already and will continue to cause Obama a great deal of strife. He has to walk a fine line between establishing foreign relations and not letting foreign relations establish him.
    I could see it be pressure to actually follow through with strengthening foreign policy, but what happened to the NOBEL committee? Even two years ago Al Gore won the peace prize for his work with the study of global warming, but now Obama wins for stuff he has yet to do? Promises promises! Promises will only get so far until he is just unable to accomplish a goal. We'll look at one promise.

Obama PROMISED to remove troops from Iraq, WHICH HE DID! (Only to follow through with adding more troops to Afghanistan.)

Here's a link that deals with other failed promises made by Obama within his first 100 days of office
    PolitiFact | First 100 Days: Obama's Promises Broken

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Obama didn't force them to give him this award. Don't blame the man who got it, blame the committee.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Obama For This Useful Post:

why06 (10-12-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    Obama didn't force them to give him this award. Don't blame the man who got it, blame the committee.
    I'm not looking to blame anyone, i'm looking to criticize whoever came up with the idea "Lets give the peace prize to someone who promised CHANGE!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
    I am the tyranny of evil men, and you are all the weak. But i'm trying Ringo,i'm trying real hard, to become the shepherd.
    excuse me miss, would you kindly reflect some photons off the epidermis covering your sternum directly into the camera iris or vacate the proximity immediately
    [IMG]https://i882.photobucke*****m/albums/ac23/miki_d420/RealizingYoureALeecher2copy.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovecookies View Post
    I'm not looking to blame anyone, i'm looking to criticize whoever came up with the idea "Lets give the peace prize to someone who promised CHANGE!"
    well then criticize the committee

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    The committee gave the prize to Obama to encourage Obama to promote peace and things like that. The committee also would want to encourage Obama to do things more "european" by giving him this award

all my opinion
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/MVchQI1cKwM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/MVchQI1cKwM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    this was the dumbest award ever my reasons
    1 HE INCREASED THE TROOP LEVELS
    2 no other reason needed

last time i checked sending troops to a country was an act of ohhhh what is it called its a 3 letter word ummmmmmmmm WAR WTH WHO DECIDES THIS STUFF. I say we give it to some fucking pot smoking hippie.

I have 2 sources to prove this valid(please see bottom links)

So why didn't bush get one? he did the same things as obama and he gets ridiculed but obama gets a prize WELL FUCK ME SIDEWAYS WITH A LUNCHBOX. while im at it why didnt I get one? shit i could talk to other people too and try to cooperate. I'm not saying i don't like obama(which i really don't) but i just think someone like

As Expected, Obama Approves Troop Increase To Afghanistan The Washington Independent

Obama approves Afghanistan troop increase - CNN.com

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    W/e paragraph long reasonings you give don't change the fact that it isn't Obama's fault. In the media and amongst friends Ive heard the dumbest remarks regarding Obama.

@ilovecookies, you contradict yourself. You know who's fault it is yet you come here and write your college thesis on the subject. Your basically fighting with yourself. Ok, he won? Move on. Whos fault is this? Who cares its over and done with. Now what? Focus on the real problems at hand, not a side award.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    And no offense but the nobel peace prize is a big thing but not that big, its not like there wont be one in 2010, 2011, etc. Get over it if they deserve the Nobel peace prize theyll still be doing the work for peace they are now, Congratz to Obama and Move the fuck on.
    [IMG]https://i15.photobucke*****m/albums/a359/FISHFROMLC2/ZenSig2.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thankyou VP .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    welcome, just backin up the big guy.
    [IMG]https://i15.photobucke*****m/albums/a359/FISHFROMLC2/ZenSig2.png[/IMG]