Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by ████████ View Post
    World Not Ending in 2012, Says NASA
    Irene Klotz, Discovery News Print

Oct. 22, 2009 -- Contrary to what you may read on the Internet, the world is not going to end in 2012. A rogue planet named Nibiru is not on a collision course with Earth. And a solar flare won't toast the planet.

It's all fiction, though the makers of the film "2012" may lead you to think otherwise.

"I don't have anything against the movie. It's the way it's been marketed and the way it exploits people's fears," NASA scientist David Morrison at the Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif., told Discovery News.

Morrison has launched a counter-attack through his "Ask An Astrobiologist" online column, which he says has gotten more than 1,000 questions about the end of the world.

Scientific misinformation about 2012 has been ramping up for a few years, with more than 200 books and 1,000 Web sites purporting to explain various doomsday scenarios. Sony Pictures is behind a particularly viral campaign to build publicity for its upcoming apocalyptic movie "2012," which debuts on Nov. 13.

The company has set up an interlinked family of Web sites and Facebook pages to infuse a sense of reality to its fictional work.

The lead character in the film, played by actor John Cusack, for example, is the faux author of a faux book about a murder, conspiracy and disaster aboard the space shuttle Atlantis, which, coincidentally, is poised for launch on a space station construction mission the weekend the movie debuts.

The fictional fiction, named "Farewell, Atlantis," has a Web site, a Facebook page to follow "author appearances," fans and friends, a faux publisher with a faux Web site, a faux press release and endorsements from the very real son of the late Carl Sagan.

There's also a fake institute that presumably dispenses "real" science supporting the movie's claims, as well as a fake news website that distributes fake press releases about a fake aerospace company winning government contracts.

Warren Betts, owner of a California-based publicity firm that peddles real science stories tied to movies, says the type of marketing campaign Sony is executing for "2012" is nothing new.

"It's been done before," said Betts, citing the 1999 horror movie "The Blair Witch Project," a story about a group of amateur documentary film-makers who have a really bad couple of days in the woods.

"Some people went to that movie and they thought it was reality, that it was an actual documentary," Betts said.

Morrison says Sony has crossed a line with promoting "2012."

"I think people are really, really worried about the world coming to an end. Kids are contemplating suicide. Adults tell me they can't sleep and can't stop crying. There are people who are really, really scared," he said.

"People are very gullible," he added. "It a sad testimonial that you need NASA to tell you the world's not going to end."

Source: World Not Ending in 2012, Says NASA: Discovery News
    ORLY> NASA JUST SAY THAT CUZ THEY DONT WANT TO SPREAD PANIC.

CORRUPT FUCKS
    Deutschland wird wieder Reign!

Ganja King
    Thank me if i helped

Thanks
    your stupid if you believed it in the first place

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    LOL Who Cares.
    The World will end soon, Let's just make the most of the time we have

WOW that sounds weird

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by gladio30 View Post
    What the fuck is gonna happen in 2012? Sorry I'm too lazy too read that.
    dont spam dumb choob

lol i thing the world is gonna end in 4321 b/c its 1234 back words and thats against the laws of me

Quote Originally Posted by LiAm_bRoDiE View Post
    a guy wid 4000 posts and ive never seen u.. wow
    reason: u caver coming out of cf section & ... that is czar dumb choob

hey guys who can i ask to change my name?
    Last edited by cpepablito; 10-27-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    I've heard NASA degraded a comet a month ago.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    NASA gonna jinx us!
    oh no :0
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/MVchQI1cKwM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/MVchQI1cKwM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    This is a load of bull, we shouldn't even be discussing this. Sure, I applaud Sony because it will be a very good movie. Judging by the preview pictures and videos, I will most likely go see it. Look at the site if you don't think so.
    2012 - Official Movie Site

But, just as I do not believe it is an honor to get my heart cut out and eaten by a crazy priest in front of me, I do not believe the world will end on 2012. The world won't end for another 11 million years or so. We will in all likelihood be extinct by then, so no worries. At the rate we're going, we will be extinct before the next century. This will be due to many things I am fully willing to debate, as the future is something I am particularly deft in.

The mayans also did not stop it on 2012 because they were lazy, they were mathematical geniuses who did extremely compiclated advanced calculus and abstract geometry to get these numbers and others they used in their society; It stopped here because of calculations based on the last "astral visit", aka when their god last came to earth after the most recent cycle of rebirth. This is correct use of reasoning and logic, however a wrong conclusion from starting with a false assumption.
    Time to start cycling through old sigs.
    [IMG]https://i381.photobucke*****m/albums/oo259/darkstar9540/5infection.png[/IMG]

Well that is that and this is this,
    You tell me what you want and I'll tell you what you get,
    You get away from me.
    You get away from me
    Modest Mouse
    Ocean Breathes Salty
    Float On

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Gonna be one kick ass movie.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    You never know what is going to happen, till it happens. We'll see when that day comes now won't we?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by imsohoooood View Post
    You never know what is going to happen, till it happens. We'll see when that day comes now won't we?
    If it happens I'm so gonna slap everybody in MPGH whom I see in heaven (If their is any heaven / hell, I'll find out..) Athiest for now.. never saw god. :/

the movie looks KICKASS,

The Day looks very bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexic View Post
    as I said all ideots that have no idea how to treat a human.. should pown all yall faces in and mpGAYh does not desurve correct spelling since it it actually worse than my spelling so shuve it up your asses dick wads!

*.net new public release VIP FEATURES GO oh wait no don't cus ima IP ban yall from it!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    were gonna die .

_<span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span><span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span> <span class="EmojiInput mj230" title="Black Heart Suit ::hearts::"></span>_

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    We are all going to die D: XD...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    how'd it happen?

Thanks
    in 2012 were all dead NASA just wants our death to be unexpected der gunna make bomb shelters for themselves and when its all over they'll burn and pee on corpses ZOMFG RUN!!!!

btw no shit its all fake dont need to make a post about it

Thanks
    Sounds like a bit of Fun

Ohh wait DAM

2012 is a big Year for my Calender
    [IMG]https://i1052.photobucke*****m/albums/s455/Moshtixxx/chibi_sakura_miku_by_dav_19-d4stik3.png[/IMG]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast