View Poll Results: What did it do for you?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Smoother

3 42.86%
  • No change/Slower

4 57.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Hmmm.... Okay well there's a reason it is called Virtual Memory, and that is because it does not exist. I'm not really sure how changing the amount of virtual memory would help at all though. So I did a little looking around and here's my theory:

Increasing your Virtual Memory allows you to run more memory intensive applications, such as COD4, but the trade off to this is it is much slower. And I wouldn't recommend doing this because the side effect is it creates fragmentation. This may be good for a couple times, this is because Windows is probably accessing the new memory space you just created which is completely clear, but as you continue to do this that space will also become cluttered as Windows attempts to reuse old memory. So unless you plan on defragmenting your hard-drive every week or more (depending on how often you play COD4) then this is not a good idea.

However there are ways to drastically increase the speed of your system. One way to do so is to restart your computer by turning off all nonessential applications:

Just:
    Start>Run
    type "msconfig" into Run and hit OK
    A window will pop up, You need Admin rights.
    Go to the "Services" tab
    Select "Hide all microsoft Services" > Then Click "Disable All"> Click OK> and restart your computer.Now your computer will restart with only only essentially processes running in the background.

Also: you can go to your TaskManager once you start COD4 and select its process and give it High Priority, which will give it even more processing time.

Lastly:
    If you using a laptop, simply buying a cooling stand for around $20.00 can help you immensely when running intense applications. Laptobs have a tendency to over heat which is often why the are not good for gaming, but a cooling stand keeps it from heating up to much which allows you to run more intense applications for a longer time, while preserving the life of your computer.

Doing all these things I was able to run MW2 on the highest settings on my laptop, which only has 3GB of Ram! Lol. though it was rather laggy... but I'm able to play on normal settings now without any detectable lag, except on a few large maps. Hope this helps you.
    Why06 you are awesome

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JIGS4W For This Useful Post:

why06 (11-22-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by imgunna View Post
    i use laptop and the heat is annoying on the legs...... cause i dont play at a table im in bed/chair/anywheres...
    I can't imagine you how you play a game like combat arms sitting on your bed without getting your ass kicked... o_O?

Quote Originally Posted by randomhacker
    Why06 you are awesome
    Lol. Ummm... thanks. I knew something was fishy about this. I was going to say something earlier, but it took me a while to figure out why this might have worked for RPB93.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Lol. Ummm... thanks. I knew something was fishy about this. I was going to say something earlier, but it took me a while to figure out why this might have worked for RPB93.
    I probably should have explained that better...
    Oh well.
    Thought it would be a nice little guide.

Thanks
    Actually, i think going into your system and screwing around would mess things up. Instead, get off your fat ass and get a new computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Boys and girls, this is what we call a retard.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by trevmmeister View Post
    Actually, i think going into your system and screwing around would mess things up. Instead, get off your fat ass and get a new computer!
    This is just an alternate way.
    Yes, it may be damaging, but anything anyone does on the internet is potentially damaging.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    this does not seem safe -.-!!

Multi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12