Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Angry The Ruins of Palmyra, a World Heritage site in Syria, being closed in on by ISIS

This is an article by reuters that covers the situation. As ISIS has left a trail of bloodshed across the Middle East on their quest to form a new "Islamic Caliphate" they have made a point to destroy ruins, museums, and any cultural icons or history that does not fit in with their goals and their version of history. The Middle East is losing some of the greatest historical treasures mankind has because of bloodthirsty fanatics and inaction by countries capable to stop the rape of the region.

https://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0NZ1NE20150514

Syria says Islamic State will destroy ancient ruins if it takes Tadmur

The Syrian army is battling Islamic State militants just one or two kilometers (1 mile) from the ancient city of Tadmur, home to a UNESCO World Heritage site, the Syrian antiquities chief told Reuters on Thursday.

Maamoun Abdulkarim said that if the militant group seizes the city, which is also known as Palmyra: "They will destroy everything that exists there."

Tadmur, which has previously been a frontline in the four-year-long Syrian conflict, is home to extensive ruins of one of the most important cultural centers of the ancient world and was put on UNESCO's list of World Heritage in danger in 2013.

Islamic State was reported to be advancing toward the city as part of a major offensive in central Syria by the jihadist group.

The group, which controls parts of Iraq and Syria, has been filmed destroying ancient artefacts and monuments. In March it razed areas of the 2,700-year-old city of Khorsabad famous for its colossal statues of human-headed winged bulls.

It has also attacked sites and destroyed antiquities in the cities of Nineveh, Nimrud and Hatra in Iraq.

Abdulkarim, who last year received UNESCO's Cultural Heritage Rescue Prize, feared Tadmur may suffer the same fate.

"We are praying to God that the Syrian army will push them back. But to be honest it will be the worst time for Syria (if they seize Tadmur)," he said.

"We know what they will do... From experience with this Islamic State group in Nimrud and Mosul there will be a crime (in Tadmur) if they seize it."

I'd like to hear your opinions on this MPGH
    Last edited by mlabgic; 05-18-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    I mean what's there to say. A bunch of fucking crazies that are being allowed to roam freely.

Don't tell me the west is fighting them either, we're benefiting off of ISIS as much as the next guy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    I feel like if there was a Muslim version of the movie "idiocracy" it would be ISIS.

It scares me that the muslim world has not stopped them yet.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    I mean what's there to say. A bunch of fucking crazies that are being allowed to roam freely.

Don't tell me the west is fighting them either, we're benefiting off of ISIS as much as the next guy.
    We send some rain there every now and then.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    I feel like if there was a Muslim version of the movie "idiocracy" it would be ISIS.

It scares me that the muslim world has not stopped them yet.
    If the muslim world can't stop Israel, what makes you think they'll stop ISIS?

Also please explain your comment about idiocracy.

Thanks
    Well, barbarians of XXI century took over this city. Another chunk of history of human civilization will be lost.

It's a fairly good satirical anti-utopia comedy. An average man from present travels 500 years into the future and finds that the world consists entirely of stupid people which makes him the "smartest man in history". Then they ask him "to fix everything".
    Last edited by d1spenser; 05-25-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

If the muslim world can't stop Israel, what makes you think they'll stop ISIS?

Because palestine/israel is an entirely different topic? Nice try on the bait though.

Idiocracy is a satirical movie in which an average guy goes into the future and because of how the population produced, only stupid people remained. He then became "the smartest man in history" at that point in time.

Much like ISIS is apperantly doing, they are seemingly trying to extinguish all of human advancement and bring about another dark-age.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by d1spenser View Post
    Well, barbarians of XXI century took over this city. Another chunk of history of human civilization will be lost.

It's a fairly good satirical anti-utopia comedy. An average man from present travels 500 years into the future and finds that the world consists entirely of stupid people which makes him the "smartest man in history". Then they ask him "to fix everything".
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

Because palestine/israel is an entirely different topic? Nice try on the bait though.

Idiocracy is a satirical movie in which an average guy goes into the future and because of how the population produced, only stupid people remained. He then became "the smartest man in history" at that point in time.

Much like ISIS is apperantly doing, they are seemingly trying to extinguish all of human advancement and bring about another dark-age.
    Yeah I watched the movie. Pretty good movie.

Yeah, Isis and all other religious extremists are pretty much aiming at bringing about the dark-age. They're seemingly aimed at holding back science and just the progress of humanity. It's fucked up that the muslim world hasn't responded to them a while ago too. It's like the arabs themselves want that dark-age to come.