How to make Rez Chams

Posts 1–15 of 162 · Page 1 of 11
How to make Rez Chams
I posted a bunch of little tid-bits here and there as to how to do this, but I figured I might as well write it all in one place for peoples.

You will need:
  • Render Style Editor
  • RezInjector (or just the extracted RS folder)


==== Part 1: The 10sec Wallhack RS ====
  • Click the "Configure Render Pass1" button
  • Uncheck "Dynamic Lighting" - this allows for flat-ish shading.
  • For "Blend Op" choose "No Blend" - this means the rendered pixel always gets displayed.
  • For "Cull Mode" choose "No Culling" - this means it won't remove any polygons that aren't facing the camera.
  • For "Z Buffer Test" choose " No Alpha Test" - this means it doesn't matter if there is something in front of the object or not.
  • For "Z Buffer Op" choose "Read/Write" - this means that whenever it writes to the screen it also write to the buffer (this is useful later on).


Congrats, you now have a RS that will show people through wall!


=== Part 2: Adding Color ===
  • Click the "Configure Render Pass1" button
  • For "TFactor (ARGB)" choose "ff0000" - this is a color of our choice in XXYYZZ, where XX is red, YY is green, ZZ isblue.
  • For "Color Op" choose "Select Arg2" - this will use the "Color Arg 2" option for the color to be rendered.
  • For "Color Arg 2" choose "TFactor" - this uses TFactor as Arg2, and in combination with the last step, lets use choose the color to render without using texture chams.


Congrats, you can now see through walls, and everyone is a bright red.


(Note: Shown is a green version)

=== Part 3: Visible Char Color ===

  • Click "Configure Render Pass 1"
  • Change "Z Buffer Test" to "Less or Equal" - this means it will only write to the buffer when something is in front
  • Change "TFactor" to 000000 - this will render eveyone black (for now).


  • Click "Configure Render Pass 2"
  • Copy everything you did in Parts1 and Part2 but now in Render Pass 2
  • For "Z Buffer Test" choose "Greater" - this means it will only write when it is behind something
  • For "Z Buffer Op" choose "Read Only" - this means it wont screw up the what is in front of what.


  • Click "Configure Render Pass 3"
  • Copy everything you did in Parts1 and Part2 again but now in Render Pass 3
  • For "Z Buffer Test" choose "Less or Equal" - this means it will only write when it is the one in front.
  • For "Z Buffer Op" choose "Read Only" - this means it wont screw up the what is in front of what.
  • Change "TFactor" to "00ff00" - this will render in green


Congrats, you now have a 2 color cham, that can tell between people in the open (green) and people who are hidden (red).

(Note: Screenshot is taken from yodaliketaco's version.)

=== Part 4: Adding in the Sat Colors ===

  • Click "Configure Render Pass 2"
  • Change "Blend Op" to "Cs + Cd" - this changes the rendering from just writing the color, to combining two colors together. Color Source + Color Destination means we are taking the new (source) color and adding its value to the (destination) color that was already there.
  • Change "TFactor" to "002020" - this is a dark teal-ish color
  • Click "Configure Render Pass 2"
  • Change "Color Op" to "Add" - this will add the Color Arg 1 and Color Arg 2
  • Change "Color Arg 2" to "Texture" - this means that you have a brighter textured characters.


Congrats, you now should have something that looks like the Sat-chams !

(Note: This version has an added green-tint instead of the 2x Texture)

=== Part 5: Compile and Injecting ===

  • After you are done with your renderStyle you click "File"->"Compile for Platform"->Direct3D
  • Click "Start"
  • Find your compiled RenderStyle[dot]LTB, rename it to DEFAULT[dot]LTB and inject into RS.rez (or optionally rename and place into the RS folder if you are using that method of modding).


Now you are done!
Enjoy.

Notes:
[Feel free to move this if you don't want "noob's" see it]

[I wrote it all at once without much proof reading, so let me know of any mistakes before I can't edit the post anymore.]
Please move this in elite section...
There are too many noobs
Quote Originally Posted by okiba93 View Post
Please move this in elite section...
There are too many noobs
STFU?
no one gives a fuck
nice tutorial drigien
Quote Originally Posted by noob555 View Post
STFU?
no one gives a fuck
nice tutorial drigien
Thanks, I wrote it because people kept wanting custom colors for their chams and I didn't want to see anymore of them released.
Quote Originally Posted by Drigien View Post
Thanks, I wrote it because people kept wanting custom colors for their chams and I didn't want to see anymore of them released.
Well then you've caused the opposite effect.
If you release a tutorial a mass production of that type of mod is released
btw I cleared up some space in my PM
so if you have any updated info PM me
thanks
Lol, noob is right. Prepare for 200 different releases of the same mod.

Also, you made a mistake in the tutorial that I made the first time I used renderstyles editor. In part three you say to make 3 render passes, when it can easily be done in two. Adding a third render pass just adds extra lag to the mod. If you want the colors to turn out correctly without overlap but not with three passes, you just have to put the throughwall render pass as pass 1 and the visible render pass as pass 2. I can post a SS of the render styles editor at that point.
Nice job Dirgien
But could you tell me on how to make the same chams as yodalikestaco's color+wireframe and at the same time maintain a gun's original texutre?
Thanks
Quote Originally Posted by yodaliketaco View Post
Lol, noob is right. Prepare for 200 different releases of the same mod.

Also, you made a mistake in the tutorial that I made the first time I used renderstyles editor. In part three you say to make 3 render passes, when it can easily be done in two. Adding a third render pass just adds extra lag to the mod. If you want the colors to turn out correctly without overlap but not with three passes, you just have to put the throughwall render pass as pass 1 and the visible render pass as pass 2. I can post a SS of the render styles editor at that point.
It is no mistake... The first pass renders people in black, the second layer then adds its color to the black. If I didn't do this then they wouldn't show up as clearly against brighter textures and it allows for better color control.

I know it is not necessary, but I like the outcome better. There are a lot of different ways and effects you can create, this is just one way. That is why I explained what each step did, so hopefully people can learn to create their own effects for whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by 666HiddenMaster666 View Post
Nice job Dirgien
But could you tell me on how to make the same chams as yodalikestaco's color+wireframe and at the same time maintain a gun's original texutre?
Thanks
If you only want wireframes, change the 2nd pass to render in wireframe.
Change "Fill Mode" to "Wireframe". It is just that easy.

If you want the color+wireframe just add another pass in between the additive color and the visible color/texture that renders the wireframe.


Quote Originally Posted by maestro_ View Post
That for the program, searched on the Internet, has not found.
It is part of the TRON tools. I believe it has been posted somewhere on here..
=Drigien;3087157

You will need:

* Render Style Editor
That for the program, searched on the Internet, has not found.
Digien can you upload the third pic of chams so I can use them please because I like the fact that it changes colors when someone is behind a wall and not!!!
at least don't post the renderstyle editor or repacker... :|
Quote Originally Posted by shpinx View Post
Digien can you upload the third pic of chams so I can use them please because I like the fact that it changes colors when someone is behind a wall and not!!!
This is a tutorial that tells you how to make it yourself... might I suggest you try following it and make one?

Quote Originally Posted by okiba93 View Post
at least don't post the renderstyle editor or repacker... :|
If someone was inclined to follow this, I would hope that they would at least be able to find it by themselves.
I have a feeling your sleepercell
Quote Originally Posted by noob555 View Post
I have a feeling your sleepercell
Why do people keep thinking that?
Quote Originally Posted by Drigien View Post
Why do people keep thinking that?
Cause you know just as much as sleepercell
and you guys come from around the same time
and sleepercell has been lurking for a year
maybe he saw a need to post after i released a tutorial for crossgame mods
Posts 1–15 of 162 · Page 1 of 11
This thread is closed for replies.

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

Need help?