Project! Lets port sph4ck's pyexternalbox to MW3
c0z3n here - long time reader, first time poster
Firstly, a warning. If you aren't much of a coder, this project probably won't mean a lot to you just yet. check back with us in a little while and see if we've made any progress.
Now, the pitch:
Wouldn't it be great if the hacking community could have an undetectable and stable base of code to work from in building non-code-injected hacks for MW3? Although not specifically designed this way, this is what pyexternalboxmw2 was to me, and I'm sure to a lot of other coders and hackers. pyexternalboxmw2 was a solid and easy to work with codebase, which was easy to add functionality to and customize, and fun to work on and play with. I believe this is something we should work on for MW3.
I've forked all of the original code from sph4ck's original repository into a new repo on google code, titled python-boxesp-mw3, which you can find right here
What needs to be done? well I'm glad you asked!
-Update Offsets this is probably the most obvious thing, and one of the simpler things to accomplish. I've compiled a list of offsets in a google doc (which you can find linked on the google code project page), but i'm not sure that list has all the offsets we'll need for a 1:1 port, so we might have to either find the remaining offsets, alter other code to work without unnecessary data, or cut features until we can get it straight. Along with the offsets, there's some sort of dark memory wizardry going on in PatternFinder.py which i've never had the need to figure out until now, and thus far havn't been able to completely understand on my own.
-Update Structs depending on the scope of changes made to the engine since MW2 (not much at all) we may have to modify the structs in structs.py slightly in order to match the structs in the game, and also edit the code which populates these structs (mostly in readgame.py)
-Map Images and associated data The MW2 version of the hack has a large stationary map of the entire map, which contains a background image. The background images of the map terrain (i'm pretty sure) are the actual resource files used by mw2 to display the background for the uav/minimap, extracted from game files. I have no experience with extracting this sort of resource myself, but i'm sure it would be possible. What might be even better, would be to find a source for the maps of the style to be used in COD: ELITE, because they're very shiny. then these maps have to be added into Textures.py to replace the mw2 mapset, and aligned to game coordinates.
New Sprites! Personally, I don't care for the old sprites anyways. but on top of replacing the old sprites, we'll also have to add new ones for new game elements that weren't in mw2, and remove the unused ones. I'm talking about the sprites used on the maps to denote air support, as well as the sprites used to warn about explosives in the game overlay window.
Other little things There are, of course, other things that will have to be updated. A few of these things off the top of my head are the weapons that are considered sniper rifles (for which the hack knows to use the aimbot upon holdbreath activation), some other weapon related data, the trajectory calculations for grenades and throwing knives might have to be updated, things of this nature. nothing operationally critical, but things that will need to be changed nonetheless.
I think this project would be a great achievement for the community, especially because once its working, anybody can download the source code as they please- as a learning tool, a code example, a framework for their own experimentation, the list goes on and on. the python aspect of this external hack makes it practically undetectable, especially if people begin to modify it into their own versions after its working, as I know many of us did with the mw2 version.
This port will go a lot quicker help, especially from some of the more experienced coders here (I won't lie, I know there are a lot of people better at this than me.) Take a look, and if you think you'd be of some use, just say so in this thread or PM me and I can add you to the project and allow you to commit code to the repo via SVN, or let you login to google code and edit online. Plus, if you contribute, then you get CREDITED! Which should be obvious, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it. How great would it be to have your name listed in a project as great as this?
Anyways, sorry that was so much to read, but I thought I'd make my case. I hope some of you are willing to lend a hand!
(Mods- sorry if I used the wrong prefix on this post. I thought source code might be the most appropriate, but feel free to change or remove it if you like)
Firstly, a warning. If you aren't much of a coder, this project probably won't mean a lot to you just yet. check back with us in a little while and see if we've made any progress.
Now, the pitch:
Wouldn't it be great if the hacking community could have an undetectable and stable base of code to work from in building non-code-injected hacks for MW3? Although not specifically designed this way, this is what pyexternalboxmw2 was to me, and I'm sure to a lot of other coders and hackers. pyexternalboxmw2 was a solid and easy to work with codebase, which was easy to add functionality to and customize, and fun to work on and play with. I believe this is something we should work on for MW3.
I've forked all of the original code from sph4ck's original repository into a new repo on google code, titled python-boxesp-mw3, which you can find right here
What needs to be done? well I'm glad you asked!
-Update Offsets this is probably the most obvious thing, and one of the simpler things to accomplish. I've compiled a list of offsets in a google doc (which you can find linked on the google code project page), but i'm not sure that list has all the offsets we'll need for a 1:1 port, so we might have to either find the remaining offsets, alter other code to work without unnecessary data, or cut features until we can get it straight. Along with the offsets, there's some sort of dark memory wizardry going on in PatternFinder.py which i've never had the need to figure out until now, and thus far havn't been able to completely understand on my own.
-Update Structs depending on the scope of changes made to the engine since MW2 (not much at all) we may have to modify the structs in structs.py slightly in order to match the structs in the game, and also edit the code which populates these structs (mostly in readgame.py)
-Map Images and associated data The MW2 version of the hack has a large stationary map of the entire map, which contains a background image. The background images of the map terrain (i'm pretty sure) are the actual resource files used by mw2 to display the background for the uav/minimap, extracted from game files. I have no experience with extracting this sort of resource myself, but i'm sure it would be possible. What might be even better, would be to find a source for the maps of the style to be used in COD: ELITE, because they're very shiny. then these maps have to be added into Textures.py to replace the mw2 mapset, and aligned to game coordinates.
New Sprites! Personally, I don't care for the old sprites anyways. but on top of replacing the old sprites, we'll also have to add new ones for new game elements that weren't in mw2, and remove the unused ones. I'm talking about the sprites used on the maps to denote air support, as well as the sprites used to warn about explosives in the game overlay window.
Other little things There are, of course, other things that will have to be updated. A few of these things off the top of my head are the weapons that are considered sniper rifles (for which the hack knows to use the aimbot upon holdbreath activation), some other weapon related data, the trajectory calculations for grenades and throwing knives might have to be updated, things of this nature. nothing operationally critical, but things that will need to be changed nonetheless.
I think this project would be a great achievement for the community, especially because once its working, anybody can download the source code as they please- as a learning tool, a code example, a framework for their own experimentation, the list goes on and on. the python aspect of this external hack makes it practically undetectable, especially if people begin to modify it into their own versions after its working, as I know many of us did with the mw2 version.
This port will go a lot quicker help, especially from some of the more experienced coders here (I won't lie, I know there are a lot of people better at this than me.) Take a look, and if you think you'd be of some use, just say so in this thread or PM me and I can add you to the project and allow you to commit code to the repo via SVN, or let you login to google code and edit online. Plus, if you contribute, then you get CREDITED! Which should be obvious, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it. How great would it be to have your name listed in a project as great as this?
Anyways, sorry that was so much to read, but I thought I'd make my case. I hope some of you are willing to lend a hand!
(Mods- sorry if I used the wrong prefix on this post. I thought source code might be the most appropriate, but feel free to change or remove it if you like)
