• Books

5 20.83%
  • Community

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Lightbulb [+Help] Where did you learn C++ from?

Well i am starting to lean C++ .

Though as you can see i am a fail programmer. I just want to see where you guys learnt it from and best if you can help me, so one day i can release things for MPGH - Public.

I would like to start, but wodnering where you guys seem to have gone

Newb ... to ... Pro

Well, where did you start? - (Tutorial from Net? - Add please)
    How long have you been programming? - ( Just started, Few Weeks, Few months, Year, Years)
    What C++ software are you using? - (Bloodshed,Microsoft,Turbo,Dev..etc) - What do you recommend?

Other:
    Add any useful information that could help me and other noobs.

Take your time to answer, i will need it.
    I have downloaded and lurked around on the Microsoft Express Edition. And if your using it give me advice.

Yes i have seen Tutorials everywhere:

LeanerCPP
    CProgramming
    DreaminCode
    Google

Yes they are good, but dont want to go through all of them for the Micosoft version, how they are all different.

Last edited by Katie_Perry; 12-14-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I learnt the d3d aspects of C++ from

Delta Hackers - many good coders willing to help with any questions relating to C++ and other languages for many of them know multiple coding language such as vb, delphi and java.

************* - you probably already know about GD.

********* - is also useful for hack making

Also looking through the links on DH these have good ratings:
    -https://www.openasthr*****m/ -unfortunately it's down atm though.

finding more...
    Last edited by LegendaryAbbo; 12-14-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks
    Okay finally another decent person who will I believe will not leech or beg or profiteer(VIP shit)

I personally taught myself C++ when it piqued my interest in the form of gamehacking.
    originally I was nooby and everything epic failed
    it's quite easy to find tutorials on the web but you must know which and how it can help
    DX+gaming(+ for t, sry mods for advertising :P) is a good site to see how you can master the d3d aspect of c++
    Unknowncheat(*********) can teach you many stuff(I personally go there for answers to qns)
    Btw a tip on google: you don't have to type ur whole qn out, just keywords
    such as: how do I make a chams? -> chams d3d tutorial source code
    it will come out good

enjoy your coding experience and hope that you will someday become 1337

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Learned Java from a 1/2 year courses in programming.
    Learned C++ from a very good book.
    Am currently learning DirectX from a book.
    Will learn Windows Programming from a book.
    Will learn Reverse Engineering from a book.

I want to be able to understand and create bypasses which takes a mastery of the language, so I choose to learn everything about C++, instead of just some tutorials on the web. I probably could have paid for VIP for a year now on any respectable site with the money I paid for books, but I'm not satisfied just using hacks and calling myself a hacker. That seems like cheating =/

Anyway just learn the basics first. Pointers and classes are very important. Do not move on till you understand those. You can always look at some other sites for source codes, and bases to start you off like legendary said.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I would like to start, but wodnering where you guys seem to have gone

Newb ... to ... Pro

Well, where did you start? - (Tutorial from Net? - Add please)
    How long have you been programming? - ( Just started, Few Weeks, Few months, Year, Years)
    What C++ software are you using? - (Bloodshed,Microsoft,Turbo,Dev..etc) - What do you recommend?

Other: Add any useful information that could help me and other noobs.
    I guess i'm a "Pro" since I am a Software Engineer/Architect for a living after all so I'll amuse you and write down my 'journey' in software development and some personal views (sorry for the long response.. I know you kids nowadays bore easily haha):

Started over 20 years ago (yeah that's not a typo....) in BASIC (no, not the 'visual' kind ) on the Commodore 64 using Books.
    Then couple years later moved on to the Amiga computers, and did Basic, Pascal, 68000 Assembly and C (Only Books again - hey back then that was basically all that was available )

Then Moved to PC and kept going with C/C++ (and 80x86 asm), again sticking with books, and at this point already 'teaching' some of my teachers in school (just having a good textbook was enough for me ) Also did a variety of other languages (vb, php,java etc) over the years but won't bore you with those.

So as far as 'where' did I learn it, it was mainly books (internet was still 'tiny' back then ) and nowadays since i'm spending most of my time developing windows applications I can find 99% of what I need on msdn.microsof*****m.

I know this can be overwhelming for some people but once you do it long enough you'll develop a 'feel' for where to look etc. Sometimes places like codeguru or codeproject can be helpful if you're looking for a complete solution and too lazy (or in the real world: not enough time/buget) to write it yourself. Those are not usually 'basic tutorial' articles for the most part, but more of a 'this is how this or that concept is applied' samples people share.

If you look at my 'dev path' as far as environments go (related to C/C++) in order it'd be something like:

Lattice C, Borland C++ 3.1, Borland C++ 4.5, Visual C++ 1.52, Visual C++ 4, Visual C++ 5 (Visual Studio 97),VS6,Borland C++ Builder , VS.NET 2003, VS.NET 2005, VS.NET 2008
    There's a few others here and there like obvioulsy GCC on Unix, FreeScale CodeWarrior or IAR embedded workbench for some embedded projects and some other stuff that's not really relevant
    I spend most of my time developing for windows, so any of the Visual Studios would have my vote.

I really prefer books over anything because you can read it and let it all sink in and then try it later without the book to make sure you really understand the material instead of just 'copying & pasting' and thinking "oh sure I get it". Also since back then books didn't come with source cd's etc it would force you to type in all the code yourself which also helps in the learning process vs doing a copy/paste. (then again, i also like deadlisting in assembly vs stepping through it in the debugger.. so maybe I Just like doing things the hard way haha call me crazy) . Of course there's always subjects (real specific hacking for instance) for which there are no books and in that case places like this, and whatever else you find on google is where you'll have to go if you can't figure it out yourself.

The real test (at least to me) is always: Could you write whatever you're trying to learn from scratch, without any reference.. only then have you truly mastered the material. (hence why I always shake my head in disbelief when someone calls themselves a 'pro' or 'leet' programmer after they've copy&pasted 4 projects someone else wrote and can't write "hello world" for themselves...)

Of course it's easy to forget things if you don't frequently use them. I used to at one point be totally in to C++ development on unix (wrote my own search engine even at one point), but if you were to ask me about it today I wouldn't remember a lot without having to refresh quite a bit lol. So you're always (re)learning things - and the fields moves rather quickly so things you learned 2 years ago, may no longer be relevant.

Also of course knowing C++ doesn't say much about any particular application of said knowledge. For Instance: can you write a multi-tier app? can you make database applications? Can you make a UDP or TCP Based application? Know how to do Multi-Threading? Do you know how to communicate directly with hardware? can you make Direct3D applications? etc etc. so even within the C++ plus 'arena' there are hundreds of sub-categories which is what makes programming so fascinating. You're never done learning.

I always found it enjoyable and a learning experience to learn a topic, and then try to write some utility or small application that uses that instead of only doing the samples from the books etc. Or if possible make one huge app that you keep adding on-to (and redesign as necessary). It will force you to really understand how it works when you try to implement things from scratch. Also once you get the basics under your belt then you pick something that you're interested in or figure out an application you'd like to make, and then study up on whatever skills are required to implement that.

In the end though a particular language is just a tool: once you learn to be a 'software engineer' you can pick up whichever language is best suited for the particular job at hand (even if you've never used it before and can't stand it ), and apply common software engineering principles with relative ease to get the job done in a timely fashion.
    Last edited by B1ackAnge1; 12-14-2009 at 02:47 PM.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to B1ackAnge1 For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]AVGN (12-20-2009),crushed (12-14-2009),h4x0rswln is back (12-15-2009),Hell_Demon (12-14-2009),ilovecookies (12-18-2009),Matrix_NEO006 (12-14-2009),Mr.Magicman (01-22-2010),Void (12-14-2009),why06 (12-14-2009),zeco (12-14-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Oh boy, BA is talkin about his Commodore 64 again... D;

I didn't know you had books back then BA. I thought you used scrolls and tablets and did math with an abacus.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (12-16-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Hmm, When i started programming i wasn't even thinking of gamehacking. I just coincidentally came to this forum . . .

Still not really thinking about game hacking. Been "programming" (the fail stuff i do cant be described as programming) for about a couple months now. Learned through books, and random articles/people. Mostly learned through experimentation and random online resources. I've more or less finished the basics so my learning isn't structured anymore. I've snooped around win32api, windows sockets, and some other random things.

I really don't have time to do anything though so really i stopped learning 2 months after i started (september-october ish). Luckily i'm not too rusty cause of peeps like Davidm_44, BlackAngel, Crushed, and Why06 (and hell_demon when he isn't skewering noobs )

Yeah . . . Pretty much ignore me since i'm insignificant.

P.S. Abacus(es?) are cool! I might become a software engineer. Or a chemical engineer, or a physicist, or a computer engineer. Leaning towards the last one though. I could apply chemical and software engineer to computer engineer. Or maybe i should run away from engineering cause there seems to be a trend . . .
    Last edited by zeco; 12-14-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I pretty much used used the internet to learn. Err... I can't really be specific on this because I didn't only use 1 site, pretty much whatever I can find. The things I know that aren't part of the basics of programming ( which isn't much ) I found from looking through forums and articles on programming....

Thanks
    Internet, books.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    im useing a teacher/books

vip'ers and people that use others hacks are not true hackers but people useing some ones elses work so basicly your a script kitty and not a hacker -_- truth hurts

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by dk173 View Post
    im useing a teacher/books

vip'ers and people that use others hacks are not true hackers but people useing some ones elses work so basicly your a script kitty and not a hacker -_- truth hurts
    Not even that. Scriptkiddies use other people's codes. If your buying VIP your just a customer... that's it =/

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Started on my own, started with C by reading a book I had laying around, then quit C cause, I realized that basically you learn C basics in C++, so started with C++.
    Read e-books, from MSDN, C++ Primer Plus(5th ed.), Cplusplus.com, and used many other websites for examples and references. Been doing it for a few weeks now, even a month or two, just somewhere in between, 1-2 hours a week, will learn more frequently during winter break. :P

OH, and had my sexy teachers on MPGH C++ as guides. You know who you all are. No homo. <3

Just read "B1ackAnge1"'s post. I......am speechless. ._. That stuff is inspiring. Epic win.
    Last edited by crushed; 12-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by crushed View Post
    Just read "B1ackAnge1"'s post. I......am speechless. ._. That stuff is inspiring. Epic win.
    It really is inspiring. I can't wait, 40 years down the line i'll be spinning yarns to choobs about the good old days of programming on a 64 bit system. Because in 20 years, according to Moore's law, we will be at the peak performance of a silicon based chip, and we'll move onto quantum computing.

ONTOPIC! I IZ LERNIN' TEH CPLUSPLUSes from that there intraweb. Gimme 4 years and a break down or so later and i'll program up a CA hack that kills everyone logged into a game at the same time. Muhahaha, UMSOPK, Ultimate Multi Server One Position Kill. =O! I iz going to jail meh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
    I am the tyranny of evil men, and you are all the weak. But i'm trying Ringo,i'm trying real hard, to become the shepherd.
    excuse me miss, would you kindly reflect some photons off the epidermis covering your sternum directly into the camera iris or vacate the proximity immediately
    [IMG]https://i882.photobucke*****m/albums/ac23/miki_d420/RealizingYoureALeecher2copy.jpg[/IMG]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovecookies For This Useful Post:

Void (12-14-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovecookies View Post
    It really is inspiring. I can't wait, 40 years down the line i'll be spinning yarns to choobs about the good old days of programming on a 64 bit system. Because in 20 years, according to Moore's law, we will be at the peak performance of a silicon based chip, and we'll move onto quantum computing.

ONTOPIC! I IZ LERNIN' TEH CPLUSPLUSes from that there intraweb. Gimme 4 years and a break down or so later and i'll program up a CA hack that kills everyone logged into a game at the same time. Muhahaha, UMSOPK, Ultimate Multi Server One Position Kill. =O! I iz going to jail meh?
    I r haz yer hax? I rub you wrong time.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by crushed View Post
    I r haz yer hax? I rub you wrong time.
    I can't understand what your saying...

Oh no! Your children are starting to speak "1337" HD! D:

Chastise them before they go the way of Vizu4l B4S1cs and are lost to the dark side!

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast