Thread: How to gain Elo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

How to gain Elo

I went from bronze 4 to Gold 2 in just one month and am going to try to help you guys do the same.

Index :

1. Intro/Champion Select

2. Champion Pool

3. Zues / Trolls

4. The gates / Objectives

5. Conclusion

1) Intro/Champion Select

Let me start off with saying playing Solo Q is like gambling. You are betting your league points and hoping to beat the dealer (The other team). Now If you were to get a shit hand in poker you would fold right? Well that is also what you should do when you get a shit team in champion select. If you were to get some trolls in champion select JUST FOLD! Why fold? Why not play it through? Because if you fold you will loose 3 league points and have to wait 5-20 minutes. If you don't you will have to wait 20+ minutes and lose around 20 league points. The other big thing in the champion select is you need to be in the mindset that you are going to win. Pick someone you know you will dominate with. If they pick Caitlyn and you are amazing with Draven don't give up your main champion just because they "counter" you. This is low elo, counter picking means much less than it does in high elo. In conclusion, don't lose the game before it starts and be ready to win. Another import thing to remember is that you are NOT going to win every game. So be prepared to lose a game once and awhile it happens to the best of us. Sometimes we feed, sometimes we have to play a role we are not the best at and just do lackluster and our team can't make up for it. Once you understand this you won't feel to bad when you lose and you will not go on tilt.

2) Champion Pool

You have most likely heard a lot of people tell you that you need to main a champion or maybe some people tell you to be a jack of all trades. The difference here is if you main one champion you will be so mechanically skilled with them and have a higher understanding that you are at the least going to win the lane phase. Now, with Jack of all trades you can play a lot of champions but you will only do decent with them. So, to balance this out make sure you main a diverse champion that can do multiple things. I main Rengar and I can play him and a Top laner or a jungler. Also choose two back up champions that you are not the best with but for when your main is not available, make sure to have at least one of these champions in a different role. So for example, My main is Rengar (Top/Jungle) my secondary is Thresh (Support) and my third is Lee Sin (Top/Mid/Jungle/Support). So, if for some reason I cannot get top or jungle I will opt to support and if they ban thresh and Rengar is not an option then I will opt for Lee Sin. So, what does all this mean? Go out and pick three champions you want to main. Make sure you enjoy playing them and can comprehend their mechanics. (For new players don't choose champions like Lee Sin, Zed, Bard, ect.) Then do not go into ranked right away. Try to play at the least, 10 normal games for each champion in your select three champion pool. After that you can hit ranked ready to win.

3) Zues / Trolls

So what do I mean by Zues? You are going to run into this sooner or later I will promise you will in Solo Q. This is the type of player that is a Flamer or Mad because they lost lane and you did not gank for them. Why do I call them Zues? Because in their minds they are this God that is only held back by you bronzies. So, how do you deal with this? Simply camp their lane if you are the jungler, make them feel like you want them to do well. If they flame and people rage back at them try to take their side and say "It's okay man, don't listen to them." At some point if you are nice enough and try to help them enough they will start trying. I am not going to lie some trolls in league. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. What you need to do when you encounter trolls is Dodge if you get the change OR simply mute them and ingore it. They have a reason for trolling, maybe they got camped the last 13 games and lost so they are just done and want to take it out on you. Whatever you do, DO NOT rage at them. This in most cases will just make them AFK. The way I handle this is try to suck up to them. "Hey do you want blue?" "Don't worry i'm coming mid! Lets kill this guy!" Things like this go a long way for you and your team to have a chance to win. This is not going to work every game.

4) The gates / Objectives

One thing that makes me angry is when my team are "pussies" and will not go for objectives. When someone calls for Baron or dragon, go for it! If you are losing but manage to get five dragons that alone gives you a chance to win the game. Also, towers are very important to get early so your team will get a gold advantage. I'm not saying go full retard mode and suicide for half a tower but make sure to push when you can and before you recall please just push out your wave, if your opposing laner is elsewhere then this can set them behind in farm while also slowly chipping away at the tower. Now lets talk about the gates. I use this tatic when all hope is lost and my team is just doing everything wrong. This is where Nasus and Udyr and Zed shine. This tatic is to push the lane farthest away from the enemy. Why do this? This leaves them a very difficult decision. If you are playing a very strong champion for dueling they are going to need to send at least two people back. But when this happens they will be out numbered by your team now and could lose a fight or your team could push down mid. I have won countless games from playing nausus and just keep farming all game until you have 800 stacks with 40% CDR and the elixer of ruin and while the enemy is pushing mid and your team is flaming you, you teleport to a wave and they can't stop you from taking an inhib or maybe even the nexus and from now on they need to focus on you other than your team. This will allow your team to get a lot of objectives while they are busy dealing with you.

5) Conclusion

Well, I went over four tips to help you gain elo. So just to summarize

1) Pick one main champion and two secondary

2) Don't argue with trolls or Zues and try to suck up to them

3) You will not win every game

4) Use map pressure to open the gates or get objectives and get ahead

5) Practice champions in normals before you bring them into ranked.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Law For This Useful Post:

NeonEye (04-24-2016),proplayer101 (09-01-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Did actually read it all, but as an experienced LoL player myself it looks like a really nice guide, I hope you helped some people out!

Member Since 07-18-2015
    Mpgh Premium 07-17-2016
    Mpgh Premium Seller 08-17-2016
    Mpgh News Force (Gaming News) 02-09-2017
    Mpgh News Resignation 06-08-2017
    Realm Of The Mad God Minion 12-11-2017
    Former Staff 09-25-2018

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Also when you are on a losing streak might wanna take a break and go do something else. Keep spamming rank everyday is not going to help you.

Thanks
    If you're easy tilting person, take a break between games. Especially the ones you lost. Also, if you're on a losing streak, it might be good to stop playing for that day.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    This is a nice, well written guide. I especially like the first part about "folding". Well done!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I watched streams to learn how to play better.
    Rep. Power: 126

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Is this is a copy-paste?
    If so, thx for sharing i guess
    if not, i really want to thank you for the time you put into making this it's quite the guide.
    [2014] Want to hack your school's computers and get administrator? Head on Here
    [2014] Free in app purchases (Android) (Requires Root) Here
    Successful Trades: 13
    Been Scammed:3

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Cool Nice Guide

Hey Guys

Here you can clearly see my progress in Solo-q because i started to main a Champion (Vayne) and you can see i tryharded all the time also when i dropped leagues i didnt want to fall off but i had to learn that with champions like Riven i couldnt do much in a Teamfight.
    Also watching Streams and reading tons of guides helped me allot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    climbing.PNG  

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Watching guides in videos explains a lot more than just reading a guide. Also, it's nice to stay updated on champs, if your best champ is gutted hard or not appropriate or the current meta, dont pick it. ( Fiddlesticks). Experience also helps, playing more and more games and eventually your skill level rises. No one gets from beginner to diamond in one season.

Thanks
    Nice, in depth guide!!!!

Thanks
    That's a decent guide for getting your rank up. If i may i'd add these few things. Never get your hopes up that your team will hold your back, soloq adventures mean you are on your own, now if you DO get good teammates that's a nice bonus and hopefully an easier win if u are doing well on the elo u are at. Another thing is if u see someone being passive agressive in the chat or just starting to act mad and flame from the beginning instantly mute them. You won't regret this (talking from the experience that i was a hardcore flamer once and got permabanned), but yea my point is u are eventualy getting tilted so instead just mute em the first line of flaming they throw. Not worthy getting tilted. Also watching the high elo streamers helps, aswell the diamondr games your client gives for spectating!