hanging from ya girls ceiling fan whaddup
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Just starting C++, Where to begin and how?!

Okay so currently I have a few EBooks which include "Practical C++ Programming" and "Thinking in C++", I'll be using VS16 and just want some kind of direction or just confirmation that I'm on the right track with these books I guess?
    bonk

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Okay so currently I have a few EBooks which include "Practical C++ Programming" and "Thinking in C++", I'll be using VS16 and just want some kind of direction or just confirmation that I'm on the right track with these books I guess?

I mean the E-books can come in handy for people who don't want to do there research online and learn how to program. My theory is that you should't invest a whole lot of time into this project maybe a little but definitely no money. If the programmer actually cared enough they would get there "Error" or "Fix" online instead of learning how to program from a thing they paid for. This is also just my opinion so by all means do whatever pleases you don't let me stop you. Have a nice day! Hope you took my advance into consideration.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by QLK View Post
    I mean the E-books can come in handy for people who don't want to do there research online and learn how to program. My theory is that you should't invest a whole lot of time into this project maybe a little but definitely no money. If the programmer actually cared enough they would get there "Error" or "Fix" online instead of learning how to program from a thing they paid for. This is also just my opinion so by all means do whatever pleases you don't let me stop you. Have a nice day! Hope you took my advance into consideration.
    So do you think I'm better off just learning from scratch through YouTube series and like other websites and such
    bonk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    So do you think I'm better off just learning from scratch through YouTube series and like other websites and such
    NO, no, no, no, no....

Read books, please. Yes you can learn a lot without using a book. But things like, best practices, underlying theory. Really understanding what you are actually doing. Knowing that when you write a line you know what the pc is actually thinking and how it will handle it.

Learning about best algorithms. Becoming more creative.

Reading books is key to becoming not just able to make programs. But to make efficient programs, readable programs.

As for the books you took, they seem fine there are some stickied threads on which books to buy and such. My personal favorite is C++ Primer. Goes in extreme depth about C++ so you really know what you are doing.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
    NO, no, no, no, no....

Read books, please. Yes you can learn a lot without using a book. But things like, best practices, underlying theory. Really understanding what you are actually doing. Knowing that when you write a line you know what the pc is actually thinking and how it will handle it.

Learning about best algorithms. Becoming more creative.

Reading books is key to becoming not just able to make programs. But to make efficient programs, readable programs.

As for the books you took, they seem fine there are some stickied threads on which books to buy and such. My personal favorite is C++ Primer. Goes in extreme depth about C++ so you really know what you are doing.
    Thank you so much this is what I was kinda thinking but just needed a bit of advice, thank you!
    bonk

Thanks
    I think here you can't get the answer of your Question from here for "Better learning by Books or better learning by doing?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sam
    But to make efficient programs, readable programs.
    You will anyway learn how to write readable programs, anyway.
    If you want to update your first Program you will known what you have better to do in another Way, next times.
    But efficient you are learning by a Book? I don't think so.
    If you try to understand ASM, then you will learn how to write most efficient Code.

I have learned all by Internet with try and error, but i have to say, i have learned many other languages before C++ and i still prefer other Languages then it.
    The one and only case is if i need to Call Functions from a shared Libraries in Perl, i will write a Perl Module in C++ as wrapper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRohsoft View Post
    I think here you can't get the answer of your Question from here for "Better learning by Books or better learning by doing?"

You will anyway learn how to write readable programs, anyway.
    If you want to update your first Program you will known what you have better to do in another Way, next times.
    But efficient you are learning by a Book? I don't think so.
    If you try to understand ASM, then you will learn how to write most efficient Code.

I have learned all by Internet with try and error, but i have to say, i have learned many other languages before C++ and i still prefer other Languages then it.
    The one and only case is if i need to Call Functions from a shared Libraries in Perl, i will write a Perl Module in C++ as wrapper.
    Asm gets briefly viewed by the books. Best practices get shown. Algorithms. Trust me, one of the best programmers I know, read books.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sam View Post
    Asm gets briefly viewed by the books. Best practices get shown. Algorithms. Trust me, one of the best programmers I know, read books.

I find your statement false in a way but kind of helpful. What I said about my opinion is true though.

Thanks

I find your statement false in a way but kind of helpful. What I said about my opinion is true though.
    Ill never deny that learning without books is not possible or useless. You can learn a lot by just doing. In fact there is a gigantic part in the learning curve that requires you to do things. Ill also never say you should ONLY read books. But it will make you in general a better programmer.