Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

What would you like in a Private Server?

The title says it all. What do you want from a private server? What are the main points you look for in a server that makes you want to play it day in and day out?

Thanks
    this question has been repeated sooo many times by so many people

and the answer usually remains the same

it boils down to

not having shitty staff
    having at least some sort of responsibility over lag/exploits
    content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stellar Spark For This Useful Post:

comfrog (04-18-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy Lalonde View Post

not having shitty staff
    Easier said than done given it's very opinion based.

having at least some sort of responsibility over lag/exploits
    Which is actually easy if you know people/aren't completely retarded, but being slightly retarded is okay for that.

content
    But this is the biggest one. What kind of content? End game content? Fun dungeons? Cool weapons or just plain higher tiers? It's hard to think as one person so I have to ask this question and be genuinely dedicated to the community about it.
    After all, you have to listen to the community if you want people to play on your server.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by comfrog View Post
    Easier said than done given it's very opinion based.
    Well, I like to say that at the very least you need moderation staff that performs basic moderation duties when they are online.

As for just HOW high your expectations would be, always keep in mind about your part (compensation, overall server quality) compared to what you expect them to do.

Which is actually easy if you know people/aren't completely retarded, but being slightly retarded is okay for that.
    I wouldn't call people retarded for not knowing ways to fix the source, remember this is a flash game that requires no programming experience to enter :P

What kind of content? End game content? Fun dungeons? Cool weapons or just plain higher tiers? It's hard to think as one person so I have to ask this question and be genuinely dedicated to the community about it.
    After all, you have to listen to the community if you want people to play on your server.
    This is probably where I can expand the most detail on.

First of all, it really depends on what you're aiming to make in this private server. ("i want a fun server" does not count as a development goal) Do you want to lay low to the basics of what the game is offering you, and offer buffer material like extra dungeons and items? Do you want to aim towards a strong sense of balance where you feel the players can play fairly, and focus on analyzing trend data and fine-tuning your points for maximum effect? Do you want to introduce a new, large game-changing element, and risk the possibility of failure and large amounts of work needed?

Remember that you should care more for "effective content", content/features that will affect the playing experience for your player community. For dungeons, aim for QUALITY, not quantity. Remember that each dungeon is a source of loot, a time-management decision on the player's end to take risk, time, and chance for a certain range of reward. Stretching those parameters largely can screw things over in ways you wouldn't expect, such as dungeons being ignored due to poor risk-reward or just being plain boring.

Lastly, you should NOT depend on the community entirely. RotMG is not a game formula that can carry itself via the player community, and there will be many times where you will need to take a look at things and make a design-POV decision. I make a policy for Phoenix to create a basic agenda with certain requirements, and if certain design details or suggestions do not meet the agenda, I do not continue the development process. Remember, you're driving the game by funding the servers, providing management, moderation, etc.

What you should be on the lookout for is unified grievances from a considerably sized community. Design-wise, the players don't know what they want, but if some game mechanic or bug seriously drives them nuts, they will know what it is. You can maintain good relations with your community by acting decisively on these requests.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stellar Spark For This Useful Post:

BlackRayquaza (04-26-2016),comfrog (04-18-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    This is probably where I can expand the most detail on.

First of all, it really depends on what you're aiming to make in this private server. ("i want a fun server" does not count as a development goal) Do you want to lay low to the basics of what the game is offering you, and offer buffer material like extra dungeons and items? Do you want to aim towards a strong sense of balance where you feel the players can play fairly, and focus on analyzing trend data and fine-tuning your points for maximum effect? Do you want to introduce a new, large game-changing element, and risk the possibility of failure and large amounts of work needed?

Remember that you should care more for "effective content", content/features that will affect the playing experience for your player community. For dungeons, aim for QUALITY, not quantity. Remember that each dungeon is a source of loot, a time-management decision on the player's end to take risk, time, and chance for a certain range of reward. Stretching those parameters largely can screw things over in ways you wouldn't expect, such as dungeons being ignored due to poor risk-reward or just being plain boring.

Lastly, you should NOT depend on the community entirely. RotMG is not a game formula that can carry itself via the player community, and there will be many times where you will need to take a look at things and make a design-POV decision. I make a policy for Phoenix to create a basic agenda with certain requirements, and if certain design details or suggestions do not meet the agenda, I do not continue the development process. Remember, you're driving the game by funding the servers, providing management, moderation, etc.

What you should be on the lookout for is unified grievances from a considerably sized community. Design-wise, the players don't know what they want, but if some game mechanic or bug seriously drives them nuts, they will know what it is. You can maintain good relations with your community by acting decisively on these requests.
    I like the pink :>

But usually active staff, active updates on content, etc
    im not really back nor will i ever get back into developing pservers
    though ill check once every month atleast

Thanks
    New classes and new weapons and other

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Nothing really makes me want to play a server.
    YEP cock

Thanks
    Hi @comfrog I didn't know you made a discussion about this on MPGH lol. The server is our main priority.