Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Good 7th Gen Motherboard?

Long story short, I received an i7 7700K as a late Christmas present and I managed to buy a 6th gen Motherboard for it. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've been looking for a replacement, but I'm not looking to spend more than $130USD on it.

So far my favorite one thus far that I've found is this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Because it's literally the exact same board as the one I had before, only for 7th gen.

Anyone have any recommendations or an opinion on the board?

The first warrior looked out on the land that was his home, he saw the hills, and the stars. He was happy. For giving him his home, he told the mighty spirit he would fight and win many battles in his honor. But the great sprit said "No do not fight for me, fight for your tribe. Fight for the family born to you. Fight for the brothers you find. Fight for them. The great spirity said. For they, are your home."
    -To be discovered

Let's have a chat!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Well, the question isn't if it's a good board, it's whether it has everything on it that you need. A motherboard has no impact on performance so it just depends on whether it has what you need in relation to thing like the amount USB ports and SATA connections.

When it comes to brand, I've personally never owned a Gigabyte product before. I've owned MSI in the past and currently using ASRock, and haven't had a single issue with either of them. The new MSI motherboards are expensive and so are the ASRock boards.

I say just buy the board if it has everything you need. I checked the warranty page for their motherboards and in the US it has a 3 year period, which is more than long enough for the board to show any defects if RMA was needed.
    Don't like what I say? Here's a solution.

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity
    Join date - July 15th 2012
    Premium - August 2nd 2016
    fuck all else currently lmao

Purchases
    Number of successful purchases on the marketplace: 7
    Times I've been scammed: 2 (both over 3 years ago)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @stock
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Motherboard: ASROCK Z170 Pro4
    GPU: MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX700M 80PLUS Bronze
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:

Spode. (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Well, the question isn't if it's a good board, it's whether it has everything on it that you need. A motherboard has no impact on performance so it just depends on whether it has what you need in relation to thing like the amount USB ports and SATA connections.

When it comes to brand, I've personally never owned a Gigabyte product before. I've owned MSI in the past and currently using ASRock, and haven't had a single issue with either of them. The new MSI motherboards are expensive and so are the ASRock boards.

I say just buy the board if it has everything you need. I checked the warranty page for their motherboards and in the US it has a 3 year period, which is more than long enough for the board to show any defects if RMA was needed.
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate the feedback too. I'll probably pick up this one based off of this, as it has everything I need and even has crossfire support. It's actually a direct upgrade to what I have now, as I'm currently using an ASUS Micro ATX with an AMD chipset. I'm really more worried about this board being compatible, like I said, I messed it up before.

The first warrior looked out on the land that was his home, he saw the hills, and the stars. He was happy. For giving him his home, he told the mighty spirit he would fight and win many battles in his honor. But the great sprit said "No do not fight for me, fight for your tribe. Fight for the family born to you. Fight for the brothers you find. Fight for them. The great spirity said. For they, are your home."
    -To be discovered

Let's have a chat!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Spode. View Post
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate the feedback too. I'll probably pick up this one based off of this, as it has everything I need and even has crossfire support. It's actually a direct upgrade to what I have now, as I'm currently using an ASUS Micro ATX with an AMD chipset. I'm really more worried about this board being compatible, like I said, I messed it up before.
    The board will be compatible. #170 boards are 6000 series (some are 7000 series through bios updates), and #270 is 7000 & 6000 series

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity

Purchases

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    The board will be compatible. #170 boards are 6000 series (some are 7000 series through bios updates), and #270 is 7000 & 6000 series
    Awesomeness. Could I get your opinion on overclocking with this cooler?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-To be discovered

Let's have a chat!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Awesomeness. Could I get your opinion on overclocking with this cooler?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Spend a tiny bit more and get a 212 Evo, it's the best budget cooler you can get and from what others have said, overclocking is great with it. One of the best air coolers you can buy. I own one but don't overclock so I can't comment about overclocking from personal experience though if you're skeptical just google for some tests.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...=hyper+212+evo

Edit: Not sure if it will fit in your case.
    Last edited by Harry; 02-02-2017 at 01:36 PM.

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity

Purchases

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Spend a tiny bit more and get a 212 Evo, it's the best budget cooler you can get and from what others have said, overclocking is great with it. One of the best air coolers you can buy. I own one but don't overclock so I can't comment about overclocking from personal experience though if you're skeptical just google for some tests.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...=hyper+212+evo

Edit: Not sure if it will fit in your case.
    Yeah, I already own the one that I asked about. I'd love to have bought one of those, but the specs for it would have required me to drill holes for the pipes in the panels of my case haha.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52&ignorebbr=1
    That's my case right now. With the AMD machine I have currently, it was the best choice to try and keep good airflow. I figured I'd keep using the case too because it's turned out to be a rather nice case for me. The plastic is super easy to spray paint, no sanding or anything. My wife is buying one too so that she can have a purple case with red LED.

-To be discovered

Let's have a chat!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Yeah, I already own the one that I asked about. I'd love to have bought one of those, but the specs for it would have required me to drill holes for the pipes in the panels of my case haha.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52&ignorebbr=1
    That's my case right now. With the AMD machine I have currently, it was the best choice to try and keep good airflow. I figured I'd keep using the case too because it's turned out to be a rather nice case for me. The plastic is super easy to spray paint, no sanding or anything. My wife is buying one too so that she can have a purple case with red LED.
    Ah alright. The cooler seems pretty decent, Kabylake is the same as Skylake for overclocking so you will probably have an okay increase in clock speed. I would overclock to give an estimate but I'm lazy and don't want to wait constantly for my computer to re-boot after tweaking the speeds to get a perfect overclock.
    I bought a brand new case, just for the 212 Evo because I was actually planning to overclock back when I had my 4670k. Currently rolling with the discontinued Corsair Carbide 200r.
    Last edited by Harry; 02-02-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Suck my nuts

Contact

Steam

Activity

Purchases

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:

Spode. (02-02-2017)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Ah alright. The cooler seems pretty decent, Kabylake is the same as Skylake for overclocking so you will probably have an okay increase in clock speed. I would overclock to give an estimate but I'm lazy and don't want to wait constantly for my computer to re-boot after tweaking the speeds to get a perfect overclock.
    No I appreciate the thought, I wont ask you to do it yourself. I'll go in and test it myself later, I was just curious if you may have had the info off hand.

-To be discovered

Let's have a chat!

Thanks
    My new motherboard needed a BIOS update, it then accepted the Kaby Lake processor and booted.