Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

All Servers Open For Easter

Basically Friday morning US time we had an idiot kid trying to take down the game since he was a hacker that we had banned the day before (who in due time will now get a visit from the FBI in collaboration with Interpol due to the international nature of where he was and what he was doing). In order to mitigate the attack, we had to do a whole series of technical work-arounds, one which turned out to be temporarily opening up all the servers to all regions (and I won't share any details of what we did - but - let's just say we were very concerned to get back quickly and did everything we could to not have people waiting around longer than absolutely necessary)

When the changes were complete, we were just about to reset the servers back to being "closed" again.

But - at that point the producers had already jumped in on the game - and the feedback they had gotten from players was "hey - this is interesting." On the fly Jericho and some other producers decided that instead of reverting back to “normal” mode – they decided to leave everything open for 48 hours and see what people decided to do if all servers were actually available. Long ago that used to be the default setup for WarRock.

In my mind it was actually pretty smart of the Producers to do this - since once this weekend is over we will use our datawarehouse and its behavior analysis to figure out what type of changes we should implement in the future (just one example; what country vs country matches we should be permitting in the future such as apparently Italy vs Germany and US vs UK seem like contenders at this point). We will use the data from this weekend for a "good cause,” to help improve the game.

For those who don't like it - well - your behavior (kicking laggers etc.) will also help build a case for what type of restrictions we should (or should not) have in the future as well.

Keep in mind that we have a whole team on our end that work day and night to actually improve the game (in spite of all the crazy conspiracy theories we see on the boards sometimes). We really DO care about how all the bits and pieces fit together - and running a game of this magnitude has a bizillion moving parts.

Whining doesn't help - but - constructive criticisms and good ideas from players is ALWAYS welcome. And - you guys would be surprised if you knew just how important the boards and your postings actually are to us.

Cheers,

Doc TechMech

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reaper For This Useful Post:

salient (04-04-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Lool I bet that kid things a lie. Because of april fools
    You want respect
    Earn it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    They have a had a few hacker attempts like this in the past months, they try to flood the G1 login servers and end up crashing them all, funny stuff.. Hackers always win in the end

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    LOOL
    i bet there gonna fail with that idea
    of countrys v contrys
    You want respect
    Earn it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    all i can say is that all the servers being open is cool.

they should leave them all open....

too bad the hacker didn't crash warrock - that would have been super-epic!

My Music Page!*
    My Other Music Page!**
    [youtube]8Mow2xvFiKM[tube][IMG]https://i5.photobucke*****m/albums/y196/deeponmic/Warrock%20Pictures/SalientofMPGH-MortalKombat.gif[/IMG]