I was just debating with with a few friends and wondered what you guys think. What should the USA do about the environmental issues at hand. When you hear the news, so called scientists are telling us that danger is coming. I don't see many people who take this threat very seriously. Could that be because the government is taking it too lightly? Or is it the news thats not giving it the attention it requires? I mean, paris hilton seemed more important that a cancerous lake near my house.

Main questions:
What should the US government do about the environmental issues?
How could the media be changed?

my stand:
I think the US should take more powerful steps to limit our pollution. Also, when I say environmental issues I mean pollution, animal endangerment, and ( who could leave this out) global warming? I don't think signing international treaties are a good thing to do though. If we sign, theres no promise that our countries would even try to enforce those rules. I think the US should not only set stronger laws, but mainly raise awareness to the problems. For example: There was a cancerous lake near Irvine and after 3 people develop cancer in about the same region at about the same time, a local teacher notices. He led group of students to town hall to talk about the problem. Town hall denies any problem with the lake. Teacher's professor friend tests lake, abnormal amounts of TLC(i think it' called that) are found. Town hall congratulates professor, but town hall knew for about a month already.

Then there is the media, lately television media is a a mess. Paris hilton is more important than Iraq, Bush brings democracy to Iraq has more coverage than "the struggle to live for Iraqis because of the war", and who could forget, another diva in distress, nicole richie is in JAIL! >:|.. Most news lately is like entertainment news. A little more professionalism is all it takes to fix the media in my opinion.

What do you think?