Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    The moment you touch an officer in a violent way or reach for their weapon they are in the right to either beat you or shoot you. This is a tricky one because he was drunk af, the officers should've expected some resistance and should have acted differently in handling a drunk guy, they could've been getting him help or a ride go jail/home but things went sour, this is not race related

THE EYES OF THE DAVESTAPO ARE UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO WE ARE GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE WE GONNA BE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jov For This Useful Post:

Matthew (06-17-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard. View Post

About the DA charging the 6 officers with aggravated assault. I don't think it proves that a taser is a deadly weapon because I think that case is leaning more towards "any object that can be used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury". I'd love to hear the DA's explanation of the charge. Imo a taser isn't a deadly weapon but CAN be used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury (most random items can be used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury). Like I can beat you with my keyboard in a manner that results in serious bodily injury but I wouldn't classify it as a deadly weapon.

Either way, Georgia law only allows use of deadly force "only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person." To tie it back to aggravated assault and tasers, if the suspect pinned the cop and was repeatedly tasing him (using the taser in a manner that results in serious bodily injury), then I feel he would have a case to shoot the suspect with lethal. I don't think a single taser discharge is using the taser "in a manner that results in serious bodily injury". Thus, this was imo excessive force.

Where does this one higher level of force rule come from? It sounds like something I wouldn't be surprised exists, but I can't find anything about it. When looking up use of force, all I can really find is the use of force continuum as the standard some people go by.

Don't think anyone's trying to argue what the suspect did was okay. Think the only contentious point is whether or not the use of deadly force was justified/lawful. Like how a punch doesn't warrant a stabbing or how verbal abuse doesn't warrant beating someone up.
    The use of force is something they go over in training. It's not an actual law, but they're taught to use one force higher than they're opposed to for their own safety and for the safety of the public. Police training-manuals would have it somewhere in one of the sections.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the cop has been charged. America is retarded.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaydow For This Useful Post:

Good (06-17-2020)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The use of force is something they go over in training. It's not an actual law, but they're taught to use one force higher than they're opposed to for their own safety and for the safety of the public. Police training-manuals would have it somewhere in one of the sections.

- - - Updated - - -

Charged with felony murder and other random charges. Felony being aggravated assault. Gonna be interesting hearing prosecutors argue this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andrew12 View Post
    It's lawful but awful, under the law it was a justified shooting but it didn't need to happen.
    He was out on parole/probation, so a DUI would have violated his parole.
    The Fulton County DA charged 6 Atlanta Officers with Aggravated Assault for tasering someone too many times earlier in the month.
    Aggravated Assault, is an assault that is committed; with the intent to rob, rape, murder; with a deadly weapon or any object that can be used in a manner that results in serious bodily injury or strangulation, or; by discharging a firearm from a vehicle.

Meaning that a taser is a "Deadly Weapon".
    After further reading, apparently in the arrest warrant for the officers, it referred to the taser as a deadly weapon.
    Rep. Power: 126

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, it was lawful and awful but even a judge the other day responded to this saying it was a lawful shooting but it didn't need to happen 100%.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Wow this escalated way too quickly, everything was going fine at first and then everything went to hell. I agree with the fact that using the taser against the cop wasn't the brightest idea I've ever seen..... but the cops at least should have aimed for the legs, damn. I see the cop got charged, so in the end everyone was affected by this, and what was gained from this situation?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    It's a sad thing when something like this could have been avoided on both parties.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |Cayn| View Post
    Wow this escalated way too quickly, everything was going fine at first and then everything went to hell. I agree with the fact that using the taser against the cop wasn't the brightest idea I've ever seen..... but the cops at least should have aimed for the legs, damn. I see the cop got charged, so in the end everyone was affected by this, and what was gained from this situation?
    Aiming for legs is worse than center of mass, hit any bones in the leg and it shatters and goes threw any one of the arteries in the leg the person will bleed out very, very quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12