Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Audio integrated or external DAC?

So, I'm usually a person of audio and I wonder which is best: to use the original audio or investing in an external DAC.

In any case, I'd like to read your thoughts on the matter and/or your recommendations on which DACs are better.
    I'm looking for something with no latency, a samplerate about 44kHz (the higher, the better) and a bitframe around 16bits (32 it's quite uncommon and wouldn't make sense unless I run a music studio, which isn't the case)

Also, I'd love recommendations for headsets too... mine it's getting old already lmao.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    If you're not into hifi stuff you dont need a dac, unless your headphone port is making interference noises or whatever. If you really want one just get a topping d10. you may also want an amp, so a combo like the topping mx3

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Unless you need it for professional (or expensive hobby) reasons you don't need to get some extreme audio setup. most people are fine with onboard audio, although admittedly there is a noticeable difference in quality between high end onboard audio and even fairly inexpensive dac+amp combos. Once you pass the $400 (combined, both dac and amp price) range the returns diminish significantly.

Just get a decent dac & amp or combo and invest in better headphones if you want to start the audiophile hobby. The biggest factor in what you hear so long as you have a basic decent dac & amp is your headphones, and for high end headphones onboard audio does not have the power to drive them 80% of the time, their impedance is usually far too high.

I can't tell you what to get since I don't know your budget and what headphones to use, but literally every single DAC will support your requirements. If you want more customization you can get an audio interface so you can control the buffer size, sample rate, bits, etc in more detail.
    Last edited by bape; 04-08-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks
    DAC if you want pristine audio quality for professional use, internal if you will just be using it for entertainment purposes.

Thanks

Hello,

Getting a DAC is always better. It will give you very clear audio.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Not a sound technician, but..

DAC = Professional use. You've got a studio and you need maxmimum quality. Or you are a very big audiophile.

Onboard audio = Fine for everything else

Thanks
    DAC is better because it sits outside of the pc meaning outside of potential electrical noise