Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Function plotter + analyzer

Yeah, I'm restarting work on my plotter. I don't need help creating anything, it's more like optimizing.

So I'm more interested if anyone has ever come across a tutorial or two on creating a plotter and on analyzing mathematical functions (read: something like Derive's plotting and the analyzing stuff)? I'm going to use OpenGL to draw the functions (already figured out how to optimize the drawing to a certain degree) but I also want to allow the user to analyze the graphs, functions and so on.

And a side note: most of the hard work is done using CUDA.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Plotter, as in plotting (graphing) mathematical equations?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    I would search around for an open source graphing application. The biggest problem with computers and mathematics is always overflow. You must make sure ur code is tough enough to handle ridiculous inputs such as divide by zero and fail gracefully. I'll look around, if I find something I'll let you know.

EDIT: wth is CUDA?

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    I would search around for an open source graphing application. The biggest problem with computers and mathematics is always overflow. You must make sure ur code is tough enough to handle ridiculous inputs such as divide by zero and fail gracefully. I'll look around, if I find something I'll let you know.

EDIT: wth is CUDA?
    CUDA = some architecture developed by NVIDIA.

EDIT : This is the introduction for the article on CUDA in Wikipedia.

CUDA (an acronym for Compute Unified Device Architecture) is a parallel computing architecture developed by NVIDIA. CUDA is the computing engine in NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPUs) that is accessible to software developers through variants of industry standard programming languages. Programmers use 'C for CUDA' (C with NVIDIA extensions and certain restrictions), compiled through a PathScale Open64 C compiler,[1] to code algorithms for execution on the GPU. CUDA architecture shares a range of computational interfaces with two competitors -the Khronos Group's Open Computing Language[2] and Microsoft's DirectCompute[3]. Third party wrappers are also available for Python, Perl, Fortran, Java, Ruby, Lua, and MATLAB.

CUDA gives developers access to the virtual instruction set and memory of the parallel computational elements in CUDA GPUs. Using CUDA, the latest NVIDIA GPUs become accessible for computation like CPUs. Unlike CPUs however, GPUs have a parallel throughput architecture that emphasizes executing many concurrent threads slowly, rather than executing a single thread very fast. This approach of solving general purpose problems on GPUs is known as GPGPU.

In the computer game industry, in addition to graphics rendering, GPUs are used in game physics calculations (physical effects like debris, smoke, fire, fluids); examples include PhysX and Bullet. CUDA has also been used to accelerate non-graphical applications in computational biology, cryptography and other fields by an order of magnitude or more.[4][5][6][7] An example of this is the BOINC distributed computing client.[8]

CUDA provides both a low level API and a higher level API. The initial CUDA SDK was made public on 15 February 2007, for Microsoft Windows and Linux. Mac OS X support was later added in version 2.0[9], which supersedes the beta released February 14, 2008.[10] CUDA works with all NVIDIA GPUs from the G8X series onwards, including GeForce, Quadro and the Tesla line. NVIDIA states that programs developed for the GeForce 8 series will also work without modification on all future NVIDIA video cards, due to binary compatibility.
    Last edited by freedompeace; 09-15-2010 at 05:28 AM. Reason: CUDA @ Wikipedia.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to freedompeace For This Useful Post:

why06 (09-15-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Yeah, I already have a nice way of drawing the graphs without killing my cards in the process. The only problem is when I want to find out certain attributes of the functions. And I know of a few open source (sadly windows and java) graphing programs but I need something more tutorial-ish.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Yeah, I already have a nice way of drawing the graphs without killing my cards in the process. The only problem is when I want to find out certain attributes of the functions. And I know of a few open source (sadly windows and java) graphing programs but I need something more tutorial-ish.
    Umm, just a question - if you already have a nice way of drawing the graphs, why do you need a tutorial-ish type thing? /:

-confuzzled-

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    whats your card?

未来が見えなくて怖いから
    未来が見えてしまって悲しいから
    目を閉じて優しい思い出に浸ってしまう

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post

whats your card?
    The card is not the probbie.
    Try sending a Funct with impossible crap or Graphing something that Divides by Zero through your card without crap management, You will see what he means.
    Love You All~

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Melodia View Post
    The card is not the probbie.
    Try sending a Funct with impossible crap or Graphing something that Divides by Zero through your card without crap management, You will see what he means.
    If he tries dividing by 0 his computer will implode. It's not worth the risk.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    If he tries dividing by 0 his computer will implode. It's not worth the risk.
    It's more fun to see something explode than implode. /:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    My desktop has 4x gtx480, I also have a quadro 4800 (got it relatively cheap when my friend upgraded his stuff). I'm hoping I'll get access to a tesla workstation soon though. Oh and my laptop has a 210gt or whatever

And why do I need a tutorial-ish thing? I'm not about to go through thousands of lines of code and figure out what they were doing if I already have my base created. I just need to find out what would be the easiest way to perform calculations with the functions / graphs.