Thanks

[Share]I want to learn C/C++ but where do I begin?

Edit by [MPGH]Nextgen1

A lot of people have been asking this question, and thats what this forum is flooded with. I was hoping to come into this forum and see a little bit of knowledge passed around; however, it hasn't been. So, since I have nothing better to do at the moment, I decided to compile a list of very helpful resources. Both from my own personal favorites as well as a few given from gameuser.

To start with, what do you want to use C/C++ for anyway?
    If you want to start writing games, you're definately a far cry away from that. However, it wouldn't hurt to start now because it will take you time to learn anyway.

Game design/programming - To begin there have been a lot of suggestions by people, and the ones I consider reliable are real game programmers. From what GameDev.net, as well as a few programmers from Blizzard Entertainment have told me. They say your better off by just learning C++, mainly because that is the primary language for the graphical libs; DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, etc. However, it is true that C++ is a superset of C.

Also it has been recommended that before you get into DirectX and OpenGL kinda stuff, that you have a good undertanding of the Win32 API first, you don't need to know every little detail but it helps.

But lets get the party started by sharing a few very good C/C++ sites with extremely useful tutorials:

--- ALWAYS BEING UPDATED ---

Will be updated with more information, when information is found, or someone suggests a good link.

[Books]
    The C Programming Language - Kernighan and Ritchie - Amazon.com - Google - PDF
    Google - CHM
    The C++ Programming Language - Stroustrup - Amazon.com -
    Starting Out With C++: Standard Version - Gaddis - Amazon.com -
    The Geometry Toolbox for Graphics and Modeling - Gerald E. Farin, Dianne Hansford - Amazon.com -
    Programming Windows, Fifth Edition - Charles Petzold - Amazon.com -
    Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, First Edition : A Programmer's Guide - James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop
    Last edited by NextGen1; 01-18-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    This thread has no use, it's not like the nubs are going to read it...
    Nice effort though, we appreciate it.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Alright, now I am going to upload something, and send the link. It is the textbook I am reading (C++ University Level) alright? Do you want virus scans, or does it not matter? I have never uploaded any viruses, and Hell_Demon is not helping anyone in any way.

But BE WARNED! This is a LONG book, and covers ALL of C++. This is a VERY thorough book, and has proven useful to me.
    Sammy told me to...

Thanks
    yes 2 virus scans mate

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    There's tutorials all over the place and I haven't seen someone ask that question in a month, for the most part because we get so little traffic here.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower