Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy

AMD Phenom II x6 or Intel Core i7

I'm planning on getting a new desktop and for the CPU i'm planning on getting either an

AMD Phenom II x6 @ 2.80GHz (3MB L2 Cache, 6MB L3 Cache)
    or a
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06GHz Quad Core (8MB L3 Cache)

The AMD is Cheaper and has 6 cores while the Intel has a higher clock & cache.
    What is your past experience with the two brands and what type of processor should i pick over the other?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Stick with the AMD, you'll end up with a far more affordable build. Unless you're into some CPU-intensive stuff (games are not CPU intensive) you probably won't even need anything close the AMD's full power, let alone the i7's.

And the mobo+ram will come cheaper too

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    Yeah i think i'll stick with the amd.
    Here is what i'm planning on getting.

+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    + 2x 140mm Case fans, Heatsink, CPU Cooler, Ram Fans, Graphics Card Cooler and 2x 120mm / 2x 80mm (whatever i need to use, first time i've built a comp so i have no clue with cooling)

Total cost is $2648 AUD And i'll have about $300 to spend after that i might just spend it on a nice watercooling unit or a second ATI 5870 and stick em in Crossfire.

Any suggestions to make this better?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeus View Post
    Stick with the AMD, you'll end up with a far more affordable build. Unless you're into some CPU-intensive stuff (games are not CPU intensive) you probably won't even need anything close the AMD's full power, let alone the i7's.

And the mobo+ram will come cheaper too
    Does programs like ae cs4 and sony vegas need a good processor?
    'cus im trying to render and its slow

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
    Yeah i think i'll stick with the amd.
    Here is what i'm planning on getting.

> CPU:
    > mobo: check if you would maybe want this, it's one of the best "bang for the buck" boards afaik
    > ram: only if the timings are , otherwise just grab some 1600MHz CL7 ram

> card reader: do you really need it?
    > rather go with 4x500GB and raid10 it
    > Vertex II series is amazing, epic iops and speeds, you're gonna love it

> a very good card but I would, if possible, try to get one from the new series

> either get a good gaming screen or a good "work" screen, not a quasi-combo screen (if you never had a decent screen just get a gaming one, you won't notice the difference)

> Antec = affordable + good =>
    > Corsair = a bit pricier than others + good =>
    > Logitech G19 = complete waste of money, have it and I still prefer all my other keyboards to it. If you really want to feel smart get the G13, otherwise get the G110, you won't even miss the functionless mini-screen (yes, even with custom programs you only use it for a week before you figure out pressing two keys on your keyboard is easier than navigating that dreadful thing)

> normal DVD burner ~ 25 bucks, don't pay more
    > you don't need a sound card, the integrated one should be more than enough for you
    > get some "gaming" "surround" headphones, you'll even end up with better sound reproduction + you'll have an advantage in games + you'll be able to talk to others while you play (big bonus).

+ Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    > cracked is a shitload cheaper and works just as good, trust me, I know. Half my systems run with MSDNAA licenses and the other half with cracked loaders. Same thing.
    + 2x 140mm Case fans, Heatsink, CPU Cooler, Ram Fans, Graphics Card Cooler and 2x 120mm / 2x 80mm (whatever i need to use, first time i've built a comp so i have no clue with cooling)
    > don't get extra fans, the case already comes with enough to satisfy your needs. No need to get a new CPU heatsink / fan, or a gfx one. You'll be getting into too much hassle for the unnecessary bit of performance you could gain.

Total cost is $2648 AUD And i'll have about $300 to spend after that i might just spend it on a nice watercooling unit or a second ATI 5870 and stick em in Crossfire.
    > not worth 2700, check for better deals
    > don't go LC with such low-end components
    > rather than that get a new card, you could probs get the same amount of power for a reasonable price

Any suggestions to make this better?
    Quote Originally Posted by FangedBeast View Post
    Does programs like ae cs4 and sony vegas need a good processor?
    'cus im trying to render and its slow
    Depends, Sony's Vegas series doesn't really have GPU rendering available so yes, you would have to use your CPU to render. CS4 is another story, afaik they already have some rendering with the GPU which should speed stuff up. But yeah, if you want faster rendering get a better CPU (there's a reason I paid over a grand for my CPU).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    Thanks Coeus.

The motherboard you told me about looks real good but unfortunately my supplier doesn't have it in stock.
    Card Reader: Yes, i actually DO need it - it's $25 anyway so it's not going to blow a huge hole in my pocket as far as i'm concerned.
    HDD: All the 500gb HDD's my supplier have are crap, at least with these one's im getting a 64mb cache / 6gb/s for only $99 each
    Graphics Card: I actually prefer the 5870 because it got a shitload better benchmarks than the 6870/6890. So i'm going to stick with that and chuck two of them in CrossFire.
    Monitor: I ditched the samsung one and got a 23.6" benQ gaming grade one worth $499 - 1920x1080 resolution - Back lit 3D - 1000:1 Contrast ratio - HDMI - Height adustable stand, swivel, tiltable, 90* - 100x100 VESA - 120HZ Refresh Rate.
    Keyboard: I got the G110
    DVD Burner: I got a standard one for $22
    Ditched the sound card.
    I'll wait on the headphones
    Ditched the OS and i'm going to use Cracked.
    I ditched the rest of the fans but i got one just in case.

And for the price my final build is costing me $2700 including monitor/keyboard/dual graphics cards.
    Without all that it'd be somewhere around $1800 And remember that's Australian dollars so it's a fair bit cheaper than you think.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
    Thanks Coeus.

The motherboard you told me about looks real good but unfortunately my supplier doesn't have it in stock.
    Card Reader: Yes, i actually DO need it - it's $25 anyway so it's not going to blow a huge hole in my pocket as far as i'm concerned.
    HDD: All the 500gb HDD's my supplier have are crap, at least with these one's im getting a 64mb cache / 6gb/s for only $99 each
    > when you get 6gb/s in a non-raid hdd setup, gimme a call.
    Graphics Card: I actually prefer the 5870 because it got a shitload better benchmarks than the 6870/6890. So i'm going to stick with that and chuck two of them in CrossFire.
    > 5870 (high end 5k) kind of matches the 6870 (mid range 6k), won't ever come close to 6890. And you have to take into account the improved architecture and better performance.
    Monitor: I ditched the samsung one and got a 23.6" benQ gaming grade one worth $499 - 1920x1080 resolution - Back lit 3D - 1000:1 Contrast ratio - HDMI - Height adustable stand, swivel, tiltable, 90* - 100x100 VESA - 120HZ Refresh Rate.
    > 120Hz usually means very crappy if you're not gonna do 3D, trust me (I have 3 "3D" screens at home, when I'm not gaming I have to manually disable the overdrive through the factory osd for it to even be bearable).
    Keyboard: I got the G110
    DVD Burner: I got a standard one for $22
    Ditched the sound card.
    I'll wait on the headphones
    Ditched the OS and i'm going to use Cracked.
    I ditched the rest of the fans but i got one just in case.

And for the price my final build is costing me $2700 including monitor/keyboard/dual graphics cards.
    Without all that it'd be somewhere around $1800 And remember that's Australian dollars so it's a fair bit cheaper than you think.
    Myeah, might have gotten the prices mixed up and stuff. Otherwise it's a quite decent build