Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Why do you choose to be an atheist?

For all those atheist out there.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    i don't see any reason to believe in god. there's no proof other than old books written by delusional people. plus the technology we have now is nothing compared to what we will have in 100 years. people say science has found nothing, but science is also new. in the sense that only the past 100 years has been a giant breakthrough for technology. i don't see any theory that explains space, black holes and the fact there are millions of other potential planets... plus of course we may not be alone in this universe. there are no limits to what could be out there and i don't think some old ****** sitting on clouds judging what is correct and isn't is plausible. if god really existed, why would he allow people to act the way they do.. why would he let child molesters and cereal killers do be the way they are? why wouldn't he stop all the crime and anger in the world? why wouldn't he show his presence in every day life?
    Last edited by Austin; 02-06-2011 at 02:56 AM.

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    No evidence => No Reason to believe.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Jusdontbro.
    The night fades with a breath of sunshine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    i don't see any reason to believe in god. there's no proof other than old books written by delusional people. plus the technology we have now is nothing compared to what we will have in 100 years. people say science has found nothing, but science is also new. in the sense that only the past 100 years has been a giant breakthrough for technology. i don't see any theory that explains space, black holes and the fact there are millions of other potential planets... plus of course we may not be alone in this universe. there are no limits to what could be out there and i don't think some old ****** sitting on clouds judging what is correct and isn't is plausible. if god really existed, why would he allow people to act the way they do.. why would he let child molesters and cereal killers do be the way they are? why wouldn't he stop all the crime and anger in the world? why wouldn't he show his presence in every day life?
    Wo
    That was...
    Amazing

Thanks
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    cereal killers always creep me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armalite42 View Post
    I am the sperm that won
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    Surprisingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    whoever made this thread... you just got owned by Casavir...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Casavir For This Useful Post:

Sir Nathan (02-06-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    I would feel weak believing in a higher power, and it would limit my studies in Astronomy..
    Previously Armalite42

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    God told me so, trololol

edit: Thinking of legit answer
    ex-
    ex-x2
    ex-

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Problem with your argument is explained, we're all sinners, Earth so to speak is a test of judgement between ourselves. Bad things happened, because that is EVIL not GOOD. God doesn't have control over evil, God can only have control over good. Now, I am not saying that you're wrong, whatever you think is fine with me. But you need to understand a little more clearly of why he doesn't do thing.

Once again, I don't care if you do or don't, I questions him myself, but the simple thing is that there is a line between you being molested by an evil/sinful person and him.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouzie View Post
    Problem with your argument is explained, we're all sinners, Earth so to speak is a test of judgement between ourselves. Bad things happened, because that is EVIL not GOOD. God doesn't have control over evil, God can only have control over good. Now, I am not saying that you're wrong, whatever you think is fine with me. But you need to understand a little more clearly of why he doesn't do thing.

Once again, I don't care if you do or don't, I questions him myself, but the simple thing is that there is a line between you being molested by an evil/sinful person and him.
    God has control over everything dog.
    He could destroy Satan pretty simply if he chose.
    The reason he doesn't is to give humans free will to choose the right path for themselves. To prove their love of God.
    See God already knows the outcome, but we do not.
    If God revealed every aspect of what the future would bring,
    then we would really have no purpose in life because everything would be predestined. It would be like going to the movies and knowing how it ends before it even started. God isn't a cosmic bully that's just gonna play us like a sims game. Because God's nature is good, he allows us to have free will, to make our own choices without intervening. There is no double standard to this. People always say this: "Why does God allow bad things to happen?"
    If he didn't, then that wouldn't be giving us free will.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    God has control over everything dog.
    He could destroy Satan pretty simply if he chose.
    The reason he doesn't is to give humans free will to choose the right path for themselves. To prove their love of God.
    See God already knows the outcome, but we do not.
    If God revealed every aspect of what the future would bring,
    then we would really have no purpose in life because everything would be predestined. It would be like going to the movies and knowing how it ends before it even started. God isn't a cosmic bully that's just gonna play us like a sims game. Because God's nature is good, he allows us to have free will, to make our own choices without intervening. There is no double standard to this. People always say this: "Why does God allow bad things to happen?"
    If he didn't, then that wouldn't be giving us free will.
    How is his intervention removing our free will?

Free Will - the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies

God wouldn't be constraining us, just fixing a mistake he committed.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by barklolbark View Post
    How is his intervention removing our free will?

Free Will - the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies

God wouldn't be constraining us, just fixing a mistake he committed.

The only intervention he might have is sending Angels for small tasks,
    or maybe Guardianship for someone blessed with accurately continuing his message.
    As far as stopping a random murder or something, then no.
    If he stopped the murder himself, then he would be taking the offenders free will to commit this murder. This is why he allowed Cain to do what he did to his brother, even though Abel loved God and did right in his eyes.

(Just saying this ahead of time. Let's not derail this thread by turning it into a redundant bicker fest)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

The only intervention he might have is sending Angels for small tasks,
    or maybe Guardianship for someone blessed with accurately continuing his message.
    As far as stopping a random murder or something, then no.
    If he stopped the murder himself, then he would be taking the offenders free will to commit this murder. This is why he allowed Cain to do what he did to his brother, even though Abel loved God and did right in his eyes.

(Just saying this ahead of time. Let's not derail this thread by turning it into a redundant bicker fest)
    But how would de-polluting the ocean, for example, remove our free will? Or removing excess carbon dioxide for the atmosphere?

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love
    Atheism gives me free will.
    Previously Armalite42

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by barklolbark View Post
    But how would de-polluting the ocean, for example, remove our free will? Or removing excess carbon dioxide for the atmosphere?
    Well. In the first place, we were to ones to pollute the ocean. So, if he'd stopped us doing that, he would've removed our free will.

The excess carbon dioxide is our fault, aswell. Same story, if he'd stopped us, we would've lost our free will.

We have a free will, and we choose to pollute the ocean. That's clearly not God's fault, but our fault. We have a free will, and a lot of choices. Now, it's up to us to make the right ones.

^ Thanks Kyle, I love it! ^

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast