Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

PhysX vs Havok/Similar

Good morning all,
    so while trying not to turn this into a AMD vs. Nvidia thread I need some advice.

I've decided that I'm going to replace my laptop with a desktop and due to my limited space I'm going for a mini-ITX format one. Sadly mini-ITX only got one PCIe x16 slot and therefore I need to choose a single graphics card.
    Now, I've tried to google to find info but I couldn't find anything relevant.. I'm currently looking at a GTX 570 or a 6970 for it but I wonder if GPU accelerated physics will be the best option in a single card setup.

For this build I'm getting a intel 2600k CPU which should be able to process the physics calcualtions need for a game. However I've heard that Havoc and similar uses 8 threads and therefore wouldn't leave enough for other aplications to run at optimal levels..
    The downside with GPU physics would be a drop in FPS and they lack support for many games so I'm not sure it's worth getting just for that feature..

So should I go for the Nvidia one with lower frame rate or the AMD and hope that my CPU can handle it as good as the GPU would? (can't overclock on this chipset)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Tbh you never use any sorts of physics when playing, and if you do (very small chance), it's usually just some minor effects. Trust me, you'll survive with CPU-calculated physics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alen For This Useful Post:

aIW|Convery (03-10-2011)