Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

[Help] Lena's Tuts

I just have a question about them. I understand what asm instructions do when i look at them i just don't know why they are there. Like, it's hard to explain, i know what they do but i don't know what they are doing with a program, it's weird. If i finish all of Lena's tuts will i be able to make find addresses for important stuff like recoil and such for fps games?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Why they are there? i don't get what you mean.

But when those application are reversed, they are reversed "into" ASM (the lowest level for you to understand). It's code pretty much.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    You can find addreses for recoil without doing Lena's tuts.

Anyway I think I might know what you mean. When I first started the tutorials. I understood that the disassembly was the opcodes that made up the program, what I didn't understand is why the program would start off in ntdll, or why the modules loaded up the way they did, or what C++ looked like when assembled, so though I could understand singular opcodes quite easily it was much harder to understand the entire picture. I was having such a difficult time I actually ended up quitting. Then I read up on asm language and disassembly, I actually began to program a little in asm for a bit using izechelions tutorials. While at the same time studying disassembly using x86 Disassembly - Wikibooks, open books for an open world to see how C++ is compiled. Having programmed in C++ and asm I could think logically in both, C++ looks different assembled then asm does, if that makes sense. The stack frames and how API's will help you get a sense of where you are. If you only can see what's in front of you then your not reversing. you have to force yourself to see the bigger picture from those relatively inconsequential opcodes.

Scope is also very important. Not everything you disassemble is going to make sense in C++, but you have to be malleable enough to just take asm as is, when you can't relate it to higher level code and insightful enough to see when asm does relate to C++. This is why being able to program in both I think is very important. that way the logic caries across on multiple levels. Now I'm a craptastic asm programmer, I can do hello world without having to look at a tut, but that's about it, but even with a little understanding of 32bit and 16 bit x86 asm, it helped me a lot.

The crazy thing is I now spend very little time looking at the actual asm to see what it does. Mainly its about judging program flow, and predicting what code will do from understanding the higher level logic and then predicting the low level asm that might fulfill this task.
    Last edited by why06; 03-10-2011 at 09:48 AM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    rofl. I RQed lena tuts at around... 2 or 3 tut..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brinuz View Post
    rofl. I RQed lena tuts at around... 2 or 3 tut..
    Im still flowing strong on tut 2

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I'm flowing strong on tut 0.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    I'm flowing strong on tut 0.
    Tut 2, Get on my level

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post

Tut 2, Get on my level
    Were on the same level!
    "The best way to predict your future is to create it."

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?
    Send me a PM, or send me a email at : aanthonyz10@gmail.com

Click My Dragon:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Lena's tuts? Never done them =)
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    Hello all,

i've recently decided to learn C++ / Reverse engineering, but when i downloaded lena's tutorial package my antivirus warned me about an virus called:

Trojan-Spy.Win32.Ardamax.ega

Is this an false threat or should i be worried?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Its a falsie!
    "The best way to predict your future is to create it."

Contributions I made:

DirectX E-Books
    Hacking Tools
    Hacking into a PC

Need Help?
    Send me a PM, or send me a email at : aanthonyz10@gmail.com